U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2009, 03:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,093,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I had a coach for cross country/track that favored the cold and hated the heat. He had us run outside even on days it was in the 30s but cancelled practice one day because it was 87 (I was laughing to myself that day). I would much rather deal with the heat. I thought it was selfish how he coached the team as if they had the same tolerance as him for heat/cold.

The events I described above happened in Massachusetts, not my current location.
There's a reason the Houston Marathon is held in January and kicks off around 5 in the morning. Running for several hours straight pretty much requires cooler temperatures or it can severely damage the body. But, that said, the five or ten kilometers in most cross country races ain't as devastating as the 28 miles in a marathon. I'm betting your coach was a marathoner, and he was just displaying his training conceits.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,744,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Those parents are real monsters, aren't they? I'm very upset that they allow their kids to be outside, the nerve.
The problem is that many of these children lived active outdoor lifestyles until their parents moved them to Florida. These children become prisoners in their own homes because of the extreme heat.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:08 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,093,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The problem is that many of these children lived active outdoor lifestyles until their parents moved them to Florida. These children become prisoners in their own homes because of the extreme heat.
If they overheat, I hope someone calls the whaaambulance.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM

672 posts, read 1,550,006 times
Wow, what a question! It kinda boggles the mind how bad they both suck.

All in all, I couldn't stand the muggy, sticky, humid heat. Whereas, at least I can put on a ski-jacket and brave the bitter cold and snow.

This one's freaking close, but I'll choose the southern summer as the worst of the worst.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,276,973 times
In Maryland we have hot humid summers and cold snowy winters, so it sucks to be outside for half the year. At least each season is the standard 3 months (it doesn't snow in April...usually) and I wouldn't want be at either extreme (summer in Alabama/winter in Michigan).

Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,049,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
There's a reason the Houston Marathon is held in January and kicks off around 5 in the morning. Running for several hours straight pretty much requires cooler temperatures or it can severely damage the body. But, that said, the five or ten kilometers in most cross country races ain't as devastating as the 28 miles in a marathon. I'm betting your coach was a marathoner, and he was just displaying his training conceits.
Houston in January, on average, is warmer than a lot of the outdoor practices I've had. I can understand people wanting to run in cool weather. But there is a difference between cool an cold. I am no expert, but common sense and personal experience would tell me cold temperatures can severely damage the body. Everyone is different too. Certain athletes perform better in certain temperatures. I ran one of my fastest races on a 90 degree day, for example. My slowest race, by far, was on a 40 degree day.

My coach was no marathoner. He ran in high school, although you'd never guess by looking at him now.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:49 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,021,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Taking into account the worst of both regions, would you rather not tolerate a Northern winter (Fargo), or a Southern summer (Dallas)?
HMMM.? Having hand slammed in car door vs. stepping down hard on a garden rake.. I'll take rake!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:50 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,049,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
There are people in the North that become prisoners of their own homes because of the extreme cold. A lot of people get fatter in the winter, so that should tell you something.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:09 PM

19 posts, read 37,056 times
I can't stand southern summers I much prefer a northern winter.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 PM

7,596 posts, read 9,450,003 times
Default Sorry..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
In Maryland we have hot humid summers and cold snowy winters, so it sucks to be outside for half the year. At least each season is the standard 3 months (it doesn't snow in April...usually) and I wouldn't want be at either extreme (summer in Alabama/winter in Michigan).
...but Maryland has MILD winters, with little snow. Anyone from New England or the Midwest would find a Baltimore winter to be a breeze, tolerance-wise.

I agree with you about summers, though. A Mid-Atlantic summer is hot, humid, and pretty unpleasant, at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.