U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,388,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Not necessarily. My whole family is Ex-Yugoslavian. It's weird, I was born here in Duluth and I can't stand these winters. It's 70 in the house, and I'm wearing socks, long pj pants, and a hooded sweatshirt (with hood on) all the time except for sleeping. My mom can't stand the winters either, though she's been here for many many years. Weirdly enough, my dad is from a place where there's palm-trees, perfect summers, and decent winters that rarely ever go below freezing, and he doesn't mind the winters here. I don't get it. It's cold to him, but he's "used" to it.

*shrug*

I'll never understand it. When I took a trip to Arizona, I experienced near 100 temperatures. When walking around down by ASU, it had to have been 95 or 96, as that's what the car thermometer said when we drove to park there. That temp felt like 80 here. Perfect. I can barely fathom 95 degrees here in Duluth.

Anyways, I'm sure I could even handle a Florida summer better than a winter up here. I just simply am not meant for cold. I am a shorts and t shirt person for sure.

I am born and bred in NY and I hate the winters so I know how you feel.

We have had 90+ degree heat waves with like 90% humidity in NY and it never bothered me much. When I was in Texas it never bothered me either. My German blood failed me :-P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 11:17 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
Northern winters! I've spent summers in both Texas and Orlando (lived in both) and with all the AC these days and all of the pools, I didn't think they were too bad.

CT isn't even that cold, but it's way to cold for me! I hate putting on so many layers, my skin feeling so dry, feeling so pale and having little energy because it's too cold out. It's really depressing. The sun goes down at 4:30 and you can't even go outside and take a walk, go for a swim, etc like I used to be able to in Florida. You just feel stuck.

Just my two centS!
Woooooooooooow. u r the 1st person I know in the history of city-data. that is from FL and moved up north and talked good about FL from up north. Usually its the other way around. Thank you for that

Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 PM

I would take a hot sumer anyday over a cold winter. Winter is brutal. Just liek someone said earlier dry skin dry cracked and chapped lips. And you gotta put layers upon layers of clothing on. The trees die. And on top of that winter is just freakin boring besides christmas and new years. Notong happens hardly anyone goes outside. In a hot summer is its to hot to play basketball you can go to a lake, a beach, a pool, and theme parks are aaaaalways open, then at night when its cooler you can play basketball and stuff like that or go to clubs. In winter time unless you live in the mountains and can go skiing then there really is no fun recration that you can do.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:35 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,852,455 times
Both extremes are miserable, but I would rather have the cold. One can always put more clothes on and bundle up. But...in the hot humid areas, you can only take so many clothes off...once you are down to bare skin, that's it. And...it's not a good idea to show up at work naked...

Bud

Old 12-18-2008, 02:21 AM

There is just more going on in a warmer summer environment then a winter one. 4th of juluy, picnics, block parties, family reunions, every 4yrs olympics, theme parks, water parks, when its warmer outside there are alot more social activities. Going to pools, lakes, beaches, cruises, ect. In the winter you have christmas, new years, then its back to work or school in 20 degree weather, all the plants and different fauna die, there is nothing entertaining about that. Give me a hot summer anyday.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
There is just more going on in a warmer summer environment then a winter one. 4th of juluy, picnics, block parties, family reunions, every 4yrs olympics, theme parks, water parks, when its warmer outside there are alot more social activities. Going to pools, lakes, beaches, cruises, ect. In the winter you have christmas, new years, then its back to work or school in 20 degree weather, all the plants and different fauna die, there is nothing entertaining about that. Give me a hot summer anyday.
Youre only seeing winter the way YOU see it. Those of us who actually use our brains to, you know, think, can find TONS of things to do in winter. We dont mope around with our thumbs shoved up our butts like *ahem* some people do. Lets see... there is hiking, showshoeing, cross country skiing, downhill skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, ice skating, sledding, ice hockey, drifting, etc, etc. Ive even seen people horseback riding after a nice snowfall, with the soft snow on the ground and the trails all to themselves. And the nice thing is that we dont have to worry about sweating buckets, having to wear bug spray and/or sunblock. No bugs or wildlife to worry about, no need to bring gallons of water, etc. Oh, and no worries at all about being caught out in a rainstorm, tornado warning or hurricanes/wildfires/mudslides/etc. Winter is peaceful, beautiful, and TONS of fun for those who can find something to do other than mope around and whine like prissy little schoolgirls.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre only seeing winter the way YOU see it. Those of us who actually use our brains to, you know, think, can find TONS of things to do in winter. We dont mope around with our thumbs shoved up our butts like *ahem* some people do. Lets see... there is hiking, showshoeing, cross country skiing, downhill skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, ice skating, sledding, ice hockey, drifting, etc, etc. Ive even seen people horseback riding after a nice snowfall, with the soft snow on the ground and the trails all to themselves. And the nice thing is that we dont have to worry about sweating buckets, having to wear bug spray and/or sunblock. No bugs or wildlife to worry about, no need to bring gallons of water, etc. Oh, and no worries at all about being caught out in a rainstorm, tornado warning or hurricanes/wildfires/mudslides/etc. Winter is peaceful, beautiful, and TONS of fun for those who can find something to do other than mope around and whine like prissy little schoolgirls.
Like I said unless you live in the mountains somewhere and can go skiing and snowmobiling and sledding, than theres not much to do. Plus you gotta buy all that winter equipment like ski snowmobile ect. And where am I gonna find a horse? yeah your right no tornadoes no hurricanes no wildfires mudslides, BUT you still got avalanche, brutal snowstorms that can put out power or freeze your pipes just as fast as a hurricane, plenty of accidents caused by ice on roads. And you may not need sunblock but you gotta where plenty and plenty of layers than when you get inside you gotta take them all off or you will be sweating buckets. Plus its flu season people are spreading there sickness, and plus they have indoor skating rinks if you feel like playing ice hockey in the summer. And if its too hot you can always find shade, but there is no shade if its too cold. And besides no one really has time to go to the mountains and stuff like that during the winter time because in winter after christmas and new years its back to work and school, so nobody really finds the time to do those things.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:49 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,207,553 times
The sub-freezing cold air, ICE, and 40 mph WINDS slap you in the face so hard that you can barely breathe while you walk. Your fingers and face are numb from the wind chill, but then again, so is your imagination. The bleak, depressing cloudiness that lingers 9 days out of 10 from November to April only reinforces this. You spend 15 minutes scraping ice off of your car windows like there's no tomorrow, and using the jaws of life just to get the damn frozen car door open, you get in and hold your steering wheel with a death grip hoping that you can inch along to the grocery store down the street without totaling your car on the slippery roads. Ice patches sit everywhere, waiting for you to slip and fall on them. Temporarily antisocial neighbors, dead trees, brown grass, lifeless parks, and short days seem to dominate life lately. Such is winter in the Upper Midwest.

Now fast forward eight months and 1000 miles. It's 98 degrees, with 60 percent relative humidity, so it really feels like 122 or something ridiculous like that. It hasn't rained in three weeks, so your area is now remarkably dry. The sun beats down on you with no remorse, almost as if you're being punished. The intense heat against your skin overpowers your sweat glands. Weary from the heat and a long day, you escape to your oven of a vehicle only to get burned by the leather seats once inside. Because of the extreme heat, it takes 15 minutes for you car's air conditioner to fully work. The sun's relentless rays blind you as you make your one hour trek back home. You do your best to find a tree to park your furnace on wheels under when you return home, but to no avail. Getting out of your furnace, mosquitoes attack you during the still hot evening, swarming around you and drinking your blood like it's Kool-Aid. Meanwhile, the stickiness of the smoggy air leaves you sweaty and with little energy to do much else now that you're home, and you just feel like collapsing on the couch. Might as well, because few of your neighbors are out doing anything because of the heat anyway. Such is a typical August day in Texas.

So, which one sounds more alluring to you?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:54 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,268,323 times
Northern Winters are far worst due to the many problems associated with them (e.g. colds, influenza, ice, snow, etc.).

Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM

692 posts, read 2,420,502 times
Thats like asking which nut hurts worse when you
misjudge a ground ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.