U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 189 48.21%
Southern summer 203 51.79%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
No they don't. Not even at McCormick or Roesemont. I may no longer live
in Chicago, but have friends and family that do. Your's is nothing
more than wishful thinking, delusion, flawed perception and yet
another over zealous attempt to defend a region you happed to reside in.
Wait, wait, wait. Next time youre in town, let me know. Ill take you any parking garage along Michigan Avenue or State Street (in summer) on the weekends. Then Ill dare you to tell me that Im "delusional" again.

Keep in mind the sheer MILLIONS of people who visit Chicago on a yearly basis. Its in the top 5 in the nation. You mean to tell me that what Ive personally seen (many times) is flawed? You, sir, are absolutely wrong. Any Chicagoan can tell you the sheer number of tourists that inhabit Chicago every year, and not just from southern states or midwestern states, but from around the world. Please, think before you speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Trust me, I'm from Milwaukee originally. I don't see vacation packages down here in Milwaukee for Northern getaways in the dead of summer like I did in Milwaukee for getaway packages to the South and the Carribean. Southerners will vacation in the North to see many of the great cities up there, but not for the climate.
I was talking about retirees mostly, but I see TONS of southern plates in the touristy towns here in Chicagoland (ie Long Grove, Geneva, St. Charles, etc). And the reason you dont see vacation packages (which I find quite odd considering there are TONS for Door County, the Dells, etc) is because we dont need to tell the rest of the country whats up. They already know where to find the big-city goods. And trust me, many travel northbound for the summers specifically FOR the climate. Ever heard of snowbirds? They flock from FL, TX, AZ, etc, back TO the north to escape the rough southern summers.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:49 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,391 times
For me, northern winters are more unbearable than southern summers. I lived near Cleveland for two years and was miserable in the winter. Too cold and too much snow for this Southerner.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:31 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,204,339 times
To me, it seems as if the Southerns are more inclined to say the Northern winters, while us Northerners will choose the Southern summer. I suppose one's choice depends on what he's been accustomed to, or maybe we really are just creatures of habit

Old 12-20-2008, 11:16 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,134,955 times
the summers are killah in Florida when i visited!! it was 95 degree with 95% humidity.

in the northern winters you can bundle up and get cozy in a warm place.. with the heat.. its ard to get comfy

Old 12-20-2008, 11:22 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,436 times
There should be a choice for "neither is unbearable". I grew up in Rochester NY and loved the winters, which by most people's definition would be rough. I live in Houston now and love the summers here also. I have no problem being completely active here in the summer.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:41 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
This question will need to be posed again in February...it's easy to say you don't mind the winter right now, but after a couple of months more, we'll see.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:44 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,373,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Southern Summer's are more unbearable.

Theory"
One can always dawn more layers of clothing, and one can only get so naked Something to think about
Let me quote my last quote

Old 12-20-2008, 03:32 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,145,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
This question will need to be posed again in February...it's easy to say you don't mind the winter right now, but after a couple of months more, we'll see.
And then re-post it again in Late August for the those in the sweltering humid regions.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:03 PM

692 posts, read 2,419,607 times
[quote]Retirees/tourists sure do! Its hard to tell where people are raised, naturally, but I invite you to come drive along I-55 in Illinois come May/June. Every other plate is from TX, FL, GA, SC, etc
Quote:
Wait, wait, wait. Next time youre in town, let me know. Ill take you any parking garage along Michigan Avenue or State Street (in summer) on the weekends. Then Ill dare you to tell me that Im "delusional" again.

Keep in mind the sheer MILLIONS of people who visit Chicago on a yearly basis. Its in the top 5 in the nation. You mean to tell me that what Ive personally seen (many times) is flawed? You, sir, are absolutely wrong. Any Chicagoan can tell you the sheer number of tourists that inhabit Chicago every year, and not just from southern states or midwestern states, but from around the world. Please, think before you speak.
Yeah.... ok, I'll interrupt a trip to prove a crazy guy wrong.
Steve-o if it makes you happy to think every other car is there for
the wonderment that is a Chicago summer.. well I've got better things to do than argue with a guy who is never wrong. ( that's what a wife is for )
...anyways it's holiday time so I really don't think your'e actually crazy
.... jusy Chicago crazy and belive me as a Cub fan I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.