Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times

Advertisements

OOOPS!

I misread and therefore voted wrong on the poll! I thought it said more "bearable"!

In other words, gimme that Southern summer 'ever time!

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-15-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM

18,928 posts, read 43,234,041 times
Summer in the south isn't any more hot and humid than it is in parts of the midwest, it just lasts longer.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:06 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,433,859 times
Northern winter. You're either meant for a northern winter or not. I am not.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,707,199 times
I can't take Southern Summers. Lived in Texas a few years and the summers were just too hot for me. Cold doesn't really bother me too much. Just put on a couple of layers and you are good to go. Some people I know just can't take the cold, so they live in the South. Doesn't make me right or make them right. We all are right if we are living in an area that suits us for environment.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:15 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,469,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
If you read my post correctly, you would have read that I said that in Florida, I at least was able to go outside on walks at night or go swimming.

There's no need to be so argumentative about somebody's opinion. Don't take it so personally That's great that you have become acclimated. Although I've lived in CT for 19 years, with the exception of a few years in the South, I have yet to feel used to the winters up here.
I'm not taking it personally. I just find it strange that you're unable to take walks because it's cold out. Why can't you go outside for a walk in the cold? I walk all the time in the cold. Come to New York in January and the streets are just as crowded as they are in July.

Maybe you don't like it and I can accept that. But there's a difference between not liking it and not being able to handle it. Have you ever heard of mind over matter? It's all about mental toughness.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:25 PM

193 posts, read 480,169 times
Futcha- That's great to hear you enjoy the cold so much. It's not for me at all, as stated. I find it much more enjoyable to spend time outside in the evenings in a warmer climate. You see a lot more people out and about in the evenings in warmer temperatures than in 30 degree temperatures, so it seems to be a common preference for a lot of people. We're all meant for different climates. Otherwise we'd all be packed into the same portion of the country.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:53 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,269,243 times
^
oh but we are... That's why California is all that it is.

I'm sorry but have 5 degrees as your high is really unappealing, cause it'll get worse in the night.
Heat doesn't even last that long, it comes in waves.
And while cold sort of does too, areas like like here in Dallas have 90 degree weather... and while it is by no mean comfortable, if you spend your whole day outside... you get used to it so you don't notice... or I do.
but the North...
first your hand get sooooo numb, even when you are bundled up properly.
then your feet, and then you go inside and wash your hand with freezing cold water from the sink which is so hot compared to your hands it might as well be burning hot water.
ugh... the summers are by no mean comfortable, but I find it much easier to die in the cold then the heat.

I love the winter, don't get me wrong.
And I wish I could experience snow more (lucky me I'm headed up for Michigan for the holidays )
but ... yeah...
Northern Winters are worse...imo

Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,498,132 times
The southern heat is unbearable, I have never been stuck inside the house so much in the summer.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM

139 posts, read 499,329 times
Well I've never been South in the summer, but I'm just going to imagine it like our humid summer days up here, only a little hotter and longer. In which case it all depends on one thing:

If I had AC in the South, I'll take that, if you're stuck inside with fans only, I guess I can tolerate our Winters.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 PM

559 posts, read 1,459,020 times
This is a hard question....I like the cold more but with the snow there is all the stuff that comes with it, in a southern summer its just hot, there is no ice so its hard to drive or shoveling of snow, or salt on the road that ruins cars, but the heat just sucks. Im gonna have to go with the heat though, you can always swim..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.