Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,388,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The only place "up north" I have ever been to is NYC. That was in February and the temp was only in the 30's, which is no big deal to me since it gets that cold here in Alabama. I like our winters here though, it gets cold enough to feel like winter (upper 20's), but not so cold to where it's dangerous to go outside.
Ahhh, but NYC is very misleading. Its climate is actually classified as humid subtropical...sure it can see a lot of snow, but New York and Philadelphia and Baltimore and D.C. are all situated close to the ocean which would turn areas you would expect to have consistently cold winters to mild ones. St. Louis actually has harsher winters than all four of these cities...as we speak in fact, temperatures are supposed to get into the teens and single digits here in the next few days. Personally though, as I said before, I am used to the extremes of both winter and summer...I actually despise summer more, but again, both can be equally as bad...I actually like snow so my opinion may be biased. I could care less if you submerged me under 100 inches of snow...I wouldn't care one bit...I love snow and I guess I love the cold. there is a certain euphoria I've always felt towards it. I have always hated hot and humid summers more...I feel more uncomfortable in that weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 07:43 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,096 times
I can't handle the southern summer. For me, summer is the season to be out and about all the time, and the heat and humidity down there is just terrible. I'd have to spend every day indoors with the AC on.

I don't mind northern winters. In fact, I really love the first month or so, because I think the snow is quite beautiful. There's nothing better than those early winter days after a snowfall when everything is blanketed in white, still, and quiet. Walking through the snow on a moonlit winter evening... now that's tranquility (provided it's not too windy).

As long as I'm properly dressed, the cold doesn't bother me at all... it's a lot easier to regulate my body temperature in cold weather than in hot weather. My only gripe about the northern winter is that it really drags on come February and March. But it just makes the arrival of spring all the more enjoyable.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:53 PM

142 posts, read 358,150 times
Northern winters can be difficult to live in when we have snowstorms as well as Ice storms. These storms make it very difficult to drive in and often time cause schools to be closed. The impact that these storms can have on commuting to work is amazingly aggravating and sometimes nerve wracking.

Sure, the new fallen is pretty and its great for the kids to play in, but we must not forget the negative effects such as loss of power and slippery roads leading to car crashes and commuting nightmares.

I lived most of my life in Mass but I also have spent parts of July and August in Virginia ( 3 different summers) and central Florida ( 2 different summers) and yes it was unpleasantly hot but it was manageable.

For me; I'll take the southern summer heat over the wintry, snow, ice and 10 degree weather here in New England.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,096 times
Well, it's always a tradeoff; blizzards and ice storms in the North, but severe thunderstorms, hailstorms, tornadoes, and hurricanes in the South.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:41 PM

399 posts, read 554,179 times
I don't like the heat, but I LOVE the sun.

But usually if you want year round sun, you get really hot weather (Unless its southern cali) but I can take the heat better. Its not so bad actually. It doesn't really get that humid in Arizona, in Southern States though. I've been. The Humidity. is...no words can explain it. SO I guess then I'd take the winters.

I can handle dry 115 degree weather and loving it, but not 85 degree humidity. lol

Old 12-20-2008, 08:51 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Ahhh, but NYC is very misleading. Its climate is actually classified as humid subtropical...sure it can see a lot of snow, but New York and Philadelphia and Baltimore and D.C. are all situated close to the ocean which would turn areas you would expect to have consistently cold winters to mild ones. St. Louis actually has harsher winters than all four of these cities...as we speak in fact, temperatures are supposed to get into the teens and single digits here in the next few days. Personally though, as I said before, I am used to the extremes of both winter and summer...I actually despise summer more, but again, both can be equally as bad...I actually like snow so my opinion may be biased. I could care less if you submerged me under 100 inches of snow...I wouldn't care one bit...I love snow and I guess I love the cold. there is a certain euphoria I've always felt towards it. I have always hated hot and humid summers more...I feel more uncomfortable in that weather.
And I can't blame you. St. Louis has much hotter summers than any other Midwestern city.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:12 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Let's see: up north stuck inside in danger of freezing to death and unable to go outside.

OR....................

Being able to get rigorous outdoor workouts nearly all year long (weight loss and muscle definition thrive in hot climates) followed by frozen margaritas by the pool, YEP!!

*hums "Summertime" by Will Smith*
Then why is the overwhelming majority of the countries most obese states southern ones?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:07 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Then why is the overwhelming majority of the countries most obese states southern ones?

Because the food is so much better?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,272,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
They're lazier and eat poorly.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
This question will need to be posed again in February...it's easy to say you don't mind the winter right now, but after a couple of months more, we'll see.
I couldnt agree with you more. I keep telling people that. The cold seems nice now because of christmas and all, but wait til late january and february then its gonna be brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.