Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

An average high of 32 is by no means warm. That means half the days are below freezing. Half the days are above, but above freezing doesn't mean warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 01:32 PM

122 posts, read 168,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lets see here... the winter months in Chicago (November through early March) see average temps of 35 degrees. Sometimes its colder, sometimes its warmer. Then for the rest of the year we see temps beteween 50-85 degrees. Thats hardly what I call "mind numbing cold". Try again.
The problem is that there is an ENORMOUS degree of variation in that "average" Chicago temperature - and to me, an average temperature of 35 degrees, however it comes, is unbearably cold and not something I would willingly tolerate. I'll just pick a random series of dates - January 12 - 17 of 2007, for example. Between those days, temperatures ranged from a high of 51 to a low of 12 (not even counting the wind chill.) Over the course of a few days, that's a swing of basically 40 degrees. Here in South Florida, you'll virtually never see that type of temperature variation in the winter over the course of less than a week, unless we've had an extremely strong (and extremely rare) cold front pass through. In Chicago and most of the Midwest, those types of wild temperature swings are common. Sure, over the course of 150 years of record-keeping you may arrive at some "average" high/low temperature for a day, but that tells you next to nothing about what to expect on any given day, particularly in fall and spring when I have seen upper Midwestern cities go from single-digit temperatures one day to 60 degrees less than a week later.

I'm sure that some people find that type of fickle weather "invigorating." To each his own! Give me my predictable, warm weather year-round any day

Old 12-24-2008, 02:39 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Yes. One day i was looking at the temperatures in USA. It was 50F degrees in Chicago. I looked at the temperature 2 hours later and it was 0F This will never happen in Miami, Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles

Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Yes. One day i was looking at the temperatures in USA. It was 50F degrees in Chicago. I looked at the temperature 2 hours later and it was 0F This will never happen in Miami, Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco and Los Angeles
Thats ridiculous. Those climates are moderated by the oceans, so naturally it makes sense that they wouldnt get drastic temperature swings.

Botev, enjoying the massive snowfalls in Seattle?

Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Quote:
50 degrees in 2 hours? That must've been one helluva cold front...

Old 12-24-2008, 09:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:

First off, -30 in Chicago is as rare as a 30 degree low in Miami. Sure they happen, but not often whatsoever. And a August day in Miami is BRUTAL. A August day in Chicago? FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more pleasant. I dont know where youre making your crap up at, but it sure is funny! LOL

Know how many days Chicago has over 90 degrees? 16. Miami? 58. Thats ridiculous.

Lets let the people decide....

Chicago in August:
History : Weather Underground

Miami in August: HOT AND RAINY. I cant believe youd pick a Miami August day over Chicago, unless youre a masochist. lol
History : Weather Underground
didn't say it wasn't rare, but it happens... it is regularly below 0 wind chill, how about that?

but anyway, the point was it gets JUST AS hot, but much much colder, albeit Miami has more of those days, it can definitely get just as bad or actually worse heat index in Chicago
Chicago's spring and fall is still colder than a miami winter, the summers are BOTH hot and humid on any given day... due to inland heating
south florida weather is MUCH more consistent and not near as extreme as the midwest.
In this years forbes list of most miserable cities, chicago ranks a very short second only to Flint Michigan in the weather category.
You should know this... as living in chicago I always heard the saying... if you don't like the weather... wait 10 minutes and it will change.

Last edited by grapico; 12-24-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-25-2008, 12:15 AM

125 posts, read 435,296 times
I don't really mind extremes in temp. that much as long as it isn't miserably dreary and gray most of the time in any season. But, I still picked winter.

I actually miss summers that are a little longer and deeper like I used to know in the South. The humidity isn't actually locked in the entire summer or spring; only the height of summer is truly muggy and thick. It's really more humid in MD. a lot of the time.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:38 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Botev, enjoying the massive snowfalls in Seattle?
that's horrible. The rain is much better

Old 12-25-2008, 10:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
A temperature drop like that for Chicago in 2 hours does not sound right. You have to be careful with those temperature maps. I have frequently observed them to not update in many hours. Probably a computer glitch. To find out if that 2 hour 50 degree drop is real, we could consult the National Weather Service historical data. Chicago doesn't drop 50 degress in 2 hours - maybe someplace out on the high plains or rockies, but not Chicago.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:27 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
It depends. Is a 10 degree day equivalent to a 100 degree day? A 90 degree day isn't that bad, neither is a 30 degree day. I've been in a 100 degree day with 90% humidity and it was crappy. A 10 degree day with a wind chill is even crappier. I'd say a North Dakota winter would be equal to an Arizona summer. 10 below versus 110, people endure those temps, but nobody enjoys them. But I guess you could run around at night in Arizona at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.