Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:14 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
AT least you don't have to shovel the soutern heat or risk your life sliding off the road in it. But ask me again in late August.
A lot of people don't mind that. It's nicer than sameness the entire year. Boooorrrrinng
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I would take almost anything over a Fargo type winter. However, I'm no fan of extremes, those hot humid southern summers are unbearable. I think if I had to choose between the two I'd have to go with a southern summer though, the northern winters are too long and very depressing. Overcast skies and bitter cold for months on end would make me crazy. I like winter in New England until right after the holidays, after that I'm done and ready for spring. Location is a big factor though, a summer in Florida near the ocean is much more bearable than a summer in Jackson Mississippi or Birmingham AL. Just like a winter in Boston is more tolerable than a winter in Watertown NY.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 AM

24 posts, read 108,348 times
I was born in Puerto Rico and go to school in central Florida. Summer heat feels good to me. Florida's winters are almost unbearable for me.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
If there is a hell, I fear it's like FL/LA/TX in the summertime.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Well by golly, that did it, I'm moving! Just kidding! Actually, I'd have to say I believe extreme Florida-type heat is worse than ND cold.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You might be surprised. I know several who have.
After high school graduation in Miami, I came north to college, never to live in the South again. My mother and sister are still in FL. I will only go down to visit them October-April (I don't like being cooped up in the house )

Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I would take almost anything over a Fargo type winter. However, I'm no fan of extremes, those hot humid southern summers are unbearable. I think if I had to choose between the two I'd have to go with a southern summer though, the northern winters are too long and very depressing. Overcast skies and bitter cold for months on end would make me crazy. I like winter in New England until right after the holidays, after that I'm done and ready for spring. Location is a big factor though, a summer in Florida near the ocean is much more bearable than a summer in Jackson Mississippi or Birmingham AL. Just like a winter in Boston is more tolerable than a winter in Watertown NY.
I've lived in St. Paul, MN for the past several years. It's almost the same latitude as Fargo. The winters here do get very cold, but certainly not dreary. More winter days than not, the sun shines, even when it is 10 below zero. And almost every January, there is the traditional "January thaw", when the temps reach 40s and sometimes 50s. This is very different than the winters I spent in western NY as a child, when it would be overcast for days on end, December - March. (I'd still take that kind of winter over a South FL springsummerfall any day of the year!)

Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM

50 posts, read 134,951 times
I'm changing my vote to Southern Summer now that I'm 8 months pregnant and about to die in this heat!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
One big diciding factor for me would be driving. I've never been more scared then driving in heavy snow and ice, not being able to see more then 10 feet in front of you. I remember, when I was little, on a winter trip up north, my dad following a snow plow for miles because that was the only way we could see where we were going. We also slide off the road a couple of times. And all that salt on the road does a number on your car.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:10 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
AT least you don't have to shovel the soutern heat or risk your life sliding off the road in it. But ask me again in late August.
Maybe i'm a wacko, but that picture gets me excited for this coming winter season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.