Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:45 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's only 9:30am in Houston and the heat index is already 93 degrees...no thank you. I'll take my 72 degrees (that feels like 72 degrees)
Did you forget that's it's summer in the Gulf Coast region? That's what suppose to happen down there. Just like when December comes and New York is in the 20s, Houstonians are enjoying their upper 50s in the morning and lower 70s in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Did you forget that's it's summer in the Gulf Coast region? That's what suppose to happen down there. Just like when December comes and New York is in the 20s, Houstonians are enjoying their upper 50s in the morning and lower 70s in the afternoon.

It doesn't get to the 20s very much here during the day in the NY metro area. It isn't the norm. The average high is 44 degrees in December, with a low of 30. I'm just saying that northeast's summer temperatures are much more comfortable.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 AM

353 posts, read 812,942 times
I saw New York City during the "New Year Event" to welcome 2009
and it looked rather nasty... windy/cold as it can be... No thank you
the south all the way! specially Florida!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 AM

It's really not all that bad. It's worse in Manhattan because the wind whips off the buildings. Anyway, I think a good amount of people would rather be in exciting NYC during New years eve in the cold, than some boring warm town in the south.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 AM

Have you ever been to that "ball drop" its way overrated! the only people that go there are usually those wacky tourists...
They couldn't pay me enough to stand there!
On the other hand theres always Nikki Beach, Miami People get naked, how about that?

Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
Have you ever been to that "ball drop" its way overrated! the only people that go there are usually those wacky tourists...
They couldn't pay me enough to stand there!
On the other hand theres always nikki beach, Miami People get naked, how about that? D

No, because it's mostly tourists who go. The locals go out to bars and clubs. Have you ever been to the ball drop? If it was so overrated, I don't think 1 million people would travel to Times Square. Also, I looked up the average temp during the ball drop--33 degrees. Not that bad.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 AM

157 posts, read 396,324 times
Somebody mentioned this before, and it deserves repeating. Given a bad heatwave, the summer in many Northern cities can be just as humid and scorching as much of the South - even worse, really, because so many of the buildings there lack central HVAC (I remember my old neighborhood in Pittsburgh, nearly 80% of the buildings had window unit AC.) You hear about people dying all the time in Northern heat waves; that's relatively uncommon in the southern tier of states, and much of that can be attributed to the relative lack of modern climate control in those states, due to the older (and in many cases, derelict) buildings. Some of the East Coast elitist snob types refer to this as "historic architecture." Uh huh...

So the Southern summer, for the most part, is only marginally "worse" than the Northern summer. But while people in the North are busy digging out from the latest blizzard in March, people in Southeastern and Southwestern states are busy enjoying outdoor activities in a pleasant climate.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, because it's mostly tourists who go. The locals go out to bars and clubs. Have you ever been to the ball drop? If it was so overrated, I don't think 1 million people would travel to Times Square. Also, I looked up the average temp during the ball drop--33 degrees. Not that bad.
Yes, I went to the ball drop in 05-06
I didn't have much fun but it was mostly because i was really sick... we ended leaving at around 11 because we figured it would be better to watch it from the hotel TV while eating pizza or something
I love Times Squares just not in New Year...
that year it was a rather warm night i think the temp was around 50 with light winds, it wasnt bad at all honestly!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:35 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,185,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post
Somebody mentioned this before, and it deserves repeating. Given a bad heatwave, the summer in many Northern cities can be just as humid and scorching as much of the South - even worse, really, because so many of the buildings there lack central HVAC (I remember my old neighborhood in Pittsburgh, nearly 80% of the buildings had window unit AC.) You hear about people dying all the time in Northern heat waves; that's relatively uncommon in the southern tier of states, and much of that can be attributed to the relative lack of modern climate control in those states, due to the older (and in many cases, derelict) buildings. Some of the East Coast elitist snob types refer to this as "historic architecture." Uh huh...

So the Southern summer, for the most part, is only marginally "worse" than the Northern summer. But while people in the North are busy digging out from the latest blizzard in March, people in Southeastern and Southwestern states are busy enjoying outdoor activities in a pleasant climate.
Actually a heatwave in the north is still not as bad as the south..
A heatwave in the south will never be felt in the north..
I have been in the south and the heat/humidity combination is disgusting..

I don't know how you guys do it down there, but it is just a miserable experience!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:16 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,352,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loillon892 View Post

It may be 90 up here for a few days, but then a cold front comes through and it's back to a beautiful 70 degrees for the next week, unlike the south where its oppressively hot and humid for half the year. Also, I'll take our historic architecture over the south's numerous subdivisions, cookie-cutter houses, strip malls, and other forms of disgusting sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.