U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,212,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Unfortunately, my city of Syracuse, NY does have what I call a self esteem issue. It's not as bad as people think, but people are thinking the days of being a major manufacturing center are going to come back or something when it is a city in transition.
Sounds like most smaller cities in PA and the rust belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Sounds like most smaller cities in PA and the rust belt.
Pretty much, but hopefully more people will see their city for what it is and realize it could be worse.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,212,850 times
Like how much worse?...

Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,564,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Really? You think Charlotte has “poor civic pride”??? Never heard that one. If anything, the criticisms are typically that people in Charlotte have “too much” civic pride. And Charlotte historically has done well in many “best city” lists as well. Here are some recent ones.

Forbes Best Cities for Young Professionals - #8 Charlotte, NC: Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

Forbes Best Cities for Recent College Grads - #7 Charlotte, NC: Best Cities For Recent College Grads - Forbes.com

Forbes Best Best Cities for Singles - #18 Charlotte, NC: Best Cities For Singles - Forbes.com
Yeah, yeah Minneapolis usually makes the top ten in every published list. Anyway, so you think Charlotte has a superiority complex? I don't really think so because a lot of people I knew while living there desperately wanted Charlotte to be something it's not. It was downright obnoxious at times and is not what I would call having too much civic pride.

Last edited by BlackOut; 12-15-2008 at 11:50 PM..

Old 12-16-2008, 12:28 AM

1,435 posts, read 3,580,744 times
Alot of San Jose residents have an inferiority complex because even though they have the largest population in the Bay Area, it is San Francisco that gets all of the national/international spotlight.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,007,666 times
If you mean out-a-towners, I have to say Vegas, I like Vegas but we all know NO one is really from Vegas.

While as a major city that is slightly lacking in infrastructure is Indianapolis, everyone I've met there, though wonderful people and great football team, have always been like "there's nothing here, everything is flat and corn fields" I want to move to L.A. or I want to move to Colorado.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:29 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,398,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Based off some Houstonians on this forum; you'd think Houston was on the level of El Paso and Death Valley. Some of them seem to think were inferior to cities like Chicago and San Francisco.

Couldn't resist...

Old 12-16-2008, 03:29 AM

3,680 posts, read 8,848,273 times
In a way, any city besides New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago might at times feel inferior to those 3 cities.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,996,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Yeah, yeah Minneapolis usually makes the top ten in every published list. Anyway, so you think Charlotte has a superiority complex? I don't really think so because a lot of people I knew while living there desperately wanted Charlotte to be something it's not. It was downright obnoxious at times and is not what I would call having too much civic pride.
My point is simply that the reasons you gave to justify why Minneapolis does not have an inferiority complex; the same facts hold true for Charlotte, that “The city constantly ranks very well among "best" city lists and its citizens have more pride than most other cities.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I don't think Minneapolis has an inferior complex at all. The city constantly ranks very well among "best" city lists and its citizens have more pride than most other cities...

Quote:
Forbes Best Cities for Young Professionals - #8 Charlotte, NC: Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

Forbes Best Cities for Recent College Grads - #7 Charlotte, NC: Best Cities For Recent College Grads - Forbes.com

Forbes Best Best Cities for Singles - #18 Charlotte, NC: Best Cities For Singles - Forbes.com

Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,574,152 times
Quote:
My point is simply that the reasons you gave to justify why Minneapolis does not have an inferiority complex; the same facts hold true for Charlotte, that “The city constantly ranks very well among "best" city lists and its citizens have more pride than most other cities.”
Just because a city ranks high on a "list" doesn't mean they don't have an inferiority complex. Pittsburgh ranks high on many lists and they still have one! Pittsburghers and other people in towns with inferiority complexes also have a lot of pride. Like i said before, if you move to Cleveland, from Cali, people will ask why you moved here. Just don't say anything bad about Cleveland if you're from somewhere else because many will step up and defend it (aka pride).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or