U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,038,856 times

Advertisements

What cities have the biggest inferiority complexes? You know, the cities when you move there people ask you "why the heck would you want to move here!?" The cities that may not be that bad, but have such a horrible perception that even people who live there have no civic pride. A city that gets dogged and made fun of so much that you expect laughs or jokes when you tell people you are from that city. A city completely defined by its stereotypes, true or not.

Little Rock, Arkansas fits this description perfectly. Are there any others out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 PM

521 posts, read 1,491,144 times
Salt Lake City Utah. For the 9+ years I lived there people everywhere were like, "Why did you move here?!" Especially considering the fact that I came from Southern California.

Then, when I moved to Houston --> Miami -- San Diego -- people were like, "Why did you live there? You're not from there are you?" There will always remain that small ackward pause when I tell people that I lived there.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:57 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,335,468 times
Omaha. Everyone thinks it's a town in the middle of a cow pasture but really it's pretty neat and has a great music scene.

Minneapolis. People think it's a frozen tundra of death (which it is) but it's got a lot of culture, lots to do, and great universities too.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:59 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,649,938 times
Detroit. Never been there, but I'm sure it's not as bad as most people's perception.

St. Louis. St. Louisans themselves seem to have this idea that either the suburbs are ugly sprawl or the city is a cesspool. There don't seem to be many people that see the good in both the city and the suburbs. I don't see a lot of pride in St. Louisans.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
civic pride i understand. wounded pride i understand, but people have complexes not cities.
but i still know what you mean and its a good point. people get defensive collectively. i think the problem is the mantra of the 21 century is im not so bad, we're not so bad. its not so bad here.
stop it.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,133,722 times
Another question simply meant to boil the kettle.

I can predict a couple of the top choices that people will throw out there:

Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles.... All trying to topple one another over the city that's bigger than them

Old 12-14-2008, 10:05 PM

7,383 posts, read 10,064,312 times
You could make an argument that anything in "flyover" country has a bit of an inferiority complex, not so much from within, but because the media as well as academia is so clustered in the Northeast or California.

Being from the south, we have always had to fight for respect, but I see the midwest and plains areas have to deal with this as well. I, though, am glad that there are still regional differences and unique places that aren't all "the big city."

Haven't been to Omaha or Salt Lake and just passed thru Little Rock, but know people from each of these cities and hear great things about them. None of them have anything to be ashamed of.

Inferiority is something one has if one only cares about what other people think. If someone is snubbing any of these cities because he is from a larger, more well known place, then that person has the inferiority problem.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,755,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Omaha. Everyone thinks it's a town in the middle of a cow pasture but really it's pretty neat and has a great music scene.

Minneapolis. People think it's a frozen tundra of death (which it is) but it's got a lot of culture, lots to do, and great universities too.
That is the difference between people at large believing that Mpls. is an inferior city, and Mpls. having an inferiority complex. People in Mpls. know how good it is. If anything, we have an ego complex.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,746,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
That is the difference between people at large believing that Mpls. is an inferior city, and Mpls. having an inferiority complex. People in Mpls. know how good it is. If anything, we have an ego complex.
People in Minneapolis seem happy and upbeat for the most part. They also are very proud of their town. I can't say that I blame them, it's one of the nicest big cities I've ever seen.
When I told someone that I was going to Minneapolis for a visit, the only thing they could say was that it is cold up there.
When we got there, we quickly realized how cold it was, but it didn't seem too bad because nobody was complaining about it. People just went about their business. I saw a few people riding their bicycles in the snow... when the temps were around 15. What a great town.
Only outsiders put it down.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,723,327 times
Philadelphia is another city whose residents seem to like it there pretty well but which has a poor reputation with outsiders. I've always liked Philly myself, but somehow it can't seem to shake the loser image, at least among people who don't live there.

Buffalo and Milwaukee both seem like friendly cities with cozy neighborhood nightlife which somehow always seem to get knocked by those unfamiliar with the local turf.

Then there's Cleveland. I once saw a routine on television by Yakov Smirnoff, the Ukranian-American comedian in the '80's, where he made a crack about Cleveland, then said, "Yeah, I know, in America everyone likes to put down Cleveland. In every country the people have a city they like to make fun of. Like in Soviet Union. In Soviet Union, we make fun of . . . Cleveland!" Cleveland seems to me like a good candidate to be the next Pittsuburgh, a city that used to be grimy that has cleaned up its act and become pretty nice, but takes a long time for an improvement in its reputation to follow the actual upturn in the quality of the city. Cleveland may have further to go, but it has taken solid first steps with the revitalization of the Flats, and the relatively new sports venues. Still can't seem to shake that bad rep, though, no matter how much the Drew Carey show reminds people that "Cleveland rocks."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or