U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,230,080 times

Advertisements

I guess I just think of the South as more of a collection of "Souths" with extensive commonalities and minimal variations....I see the Western South of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas & Western Louisiana...The Delta South of Mississippi & Eastern Louisiana....the Southeast consisting of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina & Alabama....the Upper south of Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia...

Last edited by solytaire; 01-28-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,550,391 times
I've lost my dead horse........oh here it is being beaten to death.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:06 PM

33 posts, read 121,959 times
I mean.. pretty much any state that came up and shares its history with those under the mason-dixon line are southern states. I live in Maryland and it is southern here... we and Virginia are like sister states, kind of like a North and South Carolina thing. D.C. is the south.. its a very metropolitan city, but the locals are southern. So here we go.. Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Lower Delaware, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennesee, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Sourthern Missouri, Kentucky, and D.C. Any states above the Mason-dixon, but on the eastcoast are considered the north, and any above the ohio river.. or Kentucky are the mid-west

Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
But many people are simply ignorant to the fact that states don't always fall into ONE catagory. Maryland - Northern, Southern, and Appalachian. You can not say it belongs to just one of those, that would be ignorant. Western MD - Appalachian. Mid - Maryland is Northern with slight southern hints mixed in. Southern Maryland is Southern with slight hints of Northern In it. The Eastern Shore is Southern but with a mix of North In it. Baltimore city has a very northern feel to it, no sothern at all. DC has a northern feeling with a small to decent mix of Southern. Maryland/DC/Nova is just too diverse to label as south, North, or whatever so we just we are Mid-Atlantic. I live not 20 minutes from the PA line and yet im called southern? Even though schools teach us that we live in the Northeast? So locals points of views don't count? Very odd.
Baltimore is very southern

Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
New question. What do the states that Northerners claim are the south but Southerners claim are the north consider themselves as? States like Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, sometimes North Carolina and Kentucky.

It seems to me that the north uses the Mason-Dixon line as a dividing line, whereas the south is more picky and choosy and differed from state to state. I once has someone from GA tell me that Georgia was the center of the south and that Louisiana and Florida were not to be considered southern or apart of the south. :x
Yes, i've noticed this. Most people from up north are quick to call us in Maryland country and all this... which i've come to realize we are. But people in the south like to claim their cluster of states as the south. For ex.. our cluster right here... Maryland, Va, West Va, North and South Caronlina... that is our south whereas I have a homie from Arkansas that said he never thought of MD, VA, or NC as the south until he moved here.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,236,655 times
The South is the 11 former states of the Confederacy. End of Story!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
New question. What do the states that Northerners claim are the south but Southerners claim are the north consider themselves as? States like Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, sometimes North Carolina and Kentucky.

It seems to me that the north uses the Mason-Dixon line as a dividing line, whereas the south is more picky and choosy and differed from state to state. I once has someone from GA tell me that Georgia was the center of the south and that Louisiana and Florida were not to be considered southern or apart of the south. :x
VIRGINIA IS NEVER the North ! Not even by Deep South Southrons.

I met many Deep South people who live in Richmond and they say were definitely part of the South. They say NOVA is not , though. At least not anymore.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:21 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,954,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
The South is the 11 former states of the Confederacy. End of Story!
That's funny, didn't you say Texas isn't the South? Can't make up your mind? Kentucky is Southern whether you like it or not. Have a great day!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That's funny, didn't you say Texas isn't the South? Can't make up your mind? Kentucky is Southern whether you like it or not. Have a great day!
Yes I will include Texas (and KY) . But to me Texas is more Western than Southern in culture. KY is kinda Southern. Defiinitely more Southern than Texas.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,680,114 times
What about Delaware?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.