U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,235,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
What about Delaware?
Its tough , I would put it in the NE or Mid-Atlantic. Barely ever in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,321,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Its tough , I would put it in the NE or Mid-Atlantic. Barely ever in the South.
I'd Agree that's where it would generally fit, but the delmarva peninsula is very mixed on the issue. More than people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetatMD View Post
Baltimore is very southern
Not in the Least. Explain

Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
Quote:
Yes I will include Texas (and KY) . But to me Texas is more Western than Southern in culture. KY is kinda Southern. Defiinitely more Southern than Texas.
Richmonder did you get my PM? I am not sure since you didn't respond.

Thank you for including us but you really need to experience us more.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM

395 posts, read 910,166 times
This is the topic that never ends. Yes it goes on and on, my friends...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,560,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetatMD View Post
Baltimore is very southern
Wow, that's news... I always thought the opposite, being that its just a hop and a skip away from Philly.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
Quote:
Yes I will include Texas (and KY) . But to me Texas is more Western than Southern in culture. KY is kinda Southern. Defiinitely more Southern than Texas.
How do you differentiate between Southern culture and Western culture? Whenever I go to Nashville I always see guys in cowboy hats, I see "Western" bars & stores, and fake cacti everywhere. Southern & Western culture are very much intertwined. I'd put Texas & Oklahoma in the South rather than the West simply because those places are dominated by Southern Baptists. I guess that's how i'd separate the South from the West. Other than that, it's hard to culturally differentiate them.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Wow, that's news... I always thought the opposite, being that its just a hop and a skip away from Philly.
I think they are wrong too to say "Very Southern" . BUT....

Baltimore has some Southern qualities about it. I cant explain- the people are a little friendlier and its a little different than say NYC. The waitresses say "Hun". I know thats not truly Southern- but it just feels a little different than the hardcore North.

But I would never call it a Southern city by any means. To me its the end of the North.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,321,803 times
^ Hun is a proud Baltimore tradition and icon, most commonly heard in the neighborhood of Hampden

Old 02-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
How do you differentiate between Southern culture and Western culture? Whenever I go to Nashville I always see guys in cowboy hats, I see "Western" bars & stores, and fake cacti everywhere. Southern & Western culture are very much intertwined. I'd put Texas & Oklahoma in the South rather than the West simply because those places are dominated by Southern Baptists. I guess that's how i'd separate the South from the West. Other than that, it's hard to culturally differentiate them.
Um, those country crooners in Nashville are what I'm sure most Texans would call "DimeStore Cowboys". They look the part, but most have never roped a steer to save their life!

Well a lot of Western Music came into Nashville back when Leon McCaullife and Bob Wills brought that look and sound- the cowboy hats, the pedal steel guitars, etc and it has become part of "Country and Western".

But to me- Texas is such a unique culture and place, that it must be a sub-region of the South, rather than a typical Southern setting .

For example, could "Gone With The Wind" really have taken place in Texas?

No, it fits more in Georgia, or even Virginia it would. But Texas conjures up images of Ranches, and cowboys, and Indian Territory. Now, I know this is much to do with a long ago version of Texas, but the culture was influenced by that along with its close proximity to Mexico.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
Quote:
Um, those country crooners in Nashville are what I'm sure most Texans would call "DimeStore Cowboys". They look the part, but most have never roped a steer to save their life!
There are "cowboys" in Texas that most Texans would call "dime store cowboys! LOL

What I cannot emphasize enough, Richmonder, is just how extensive the myth of Hollywood westerns (and I love them old flicks) are just that. A colorful legend and even true to an extent. But Texas was mostly a cotton state, not a ranching state, when it came down to how most made their living.

Quote:
Well a lot of Western Music came into Nashville back when Leon McCaullife and Bob Wills brought that look and sound- the cowboy hats, the pedal steel guitars, etc and it has become part of "Country and Western".
It was called "Western Swing"...but it was not "Home on the Range" western. It was direct decendent of traditional country music. Some of those old "western swing" groups had names such as the "The Southern Melody Boys" (out of Ft. Worth).

Quote:
But to me- Texas is such a unique culture and place, that it must be a sub-region of the South, rather than a typical Southern setting. For example, could "Gone With The Wind" really have taken place in Texas?
Of course Texas is unique. I am proud of that. And too, it IS a unique sub-region of the South. I appreciate what you say. The "Western South" it is. But the South.

Gone With the Wind in Texas. Well, there really ARE parts of deep East Texas where one would not know, except for license plates, they were not in Mississippi! LOL As it is, the query you put out? Could GWTW be set in Tennnessee or Arkansas, either?

Quote:
No, it fits more in Georgia, or even Virginia it would. But Texas conjures up images of Ranches, and cowboys, and Indian Territory. Now, I know this is much to do with a long ago version of Texas, but the culture was influenced by that along with its close proximity to Mexico.
Richmonder, Texas was MUCH more a part of the Cotton South and all out secessionist Confederate than was Virginia. Right or wrong in the decision, it was historical fact.

I am sorry, but your knowledge of Texas and its history is ever more obviously influenced by Hollywood myths. Indian Territory? Texas has no Indian Reservations of note (yeah, I think are are two which amount to about several square miles). Ranches and cowboys? Yes, very real. But not NEARLY to the extent as was the Southern cotton culture...

And if you really want to get into it with GWTW? It would not have taken place in Virginia. East Texas would have fit the bill better...as it truly was cotton plantation country. Virginia was not a cotton state. In fact, many Virginians of the time seperated themselves from what was called the "Cotton States"

I hasten to add I am NOT disputing Virginia's credentials as a Southern state. Not at all. I am only making the point that your own exclusion of Texas is built upon a clay perch....

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-13-2009 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.