U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 12:10 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,166,718 times

Advertisements

New question. What do the states that Northerners claim are the south but Southerners claim are the north consider themselves as? States like Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, sometimes North Carolina and Kentucky.

It seems to me that the north uses the Mason-Dixon line as a dividing line, whereas the south is more picky and choosy and differed from state to state. I once has someone from GA tell me that Georgia was the center of the south and that Louisiana and Florida were not to be considered southern or apart of the south. :x
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,565,694 times
Northern Virginia has an argument for not being southern at all. Other urban areas in the state including Richmond and Hampton Roads can seem mildly southern to someone who is from the North or West. Rural areas and the western part of the state are generally southern, but not to the degree of the Deep South. It just depends on where you are. Its sort of hard to broadbrush Va as a whole one way or the other.

Maryland I think is certainly more northern than southern despite the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 AM

7,173 posts, read 9,971,964 times
Some people here on CD assume that the South is only areas where the Deep Southern culture totally predominates. Who decided this? Because Texas and Virginia are not like Alabama for instance they are not southern at all?

The South is a geographical reference also. Virginia, Texas and yes Florida have not moved in over the past 100 years. The fact is that the South contains more than one culture - and the predominate southern culture changes and adapts with time just like any other.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:06 AM

7,173 posts, read 9,971,964 times
It is worth noting that between 1900 and WW2 a HUGE migration of Southerners came into the northern states, both black and white. Do we say that New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois etc. are no longer northern states?

No instead we just generally except the fact that the North adapted and changed - and our culture was generally enriched.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,200,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
People from NY/NJ are a lot better than the rednecks in South Carolina

I have lived in SC my whole life and so far I have never met a person from SC that was not a redneck
So what you're telling us is that you never leave the house?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,088,622 times
The South: southern Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, northern Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, eastern Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee

neither Southern or Northern: Kentucky, West Virginia, northern Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Missouri

Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,045,741 times
^ Most of Oklahoma & TX (not just east) are Southern. When im in OK it doesnt feel much different than when im here in TN.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,088,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Most of Oklahoma & TX (not just east) are Southern. When im in OK it doesnt feel much different than when im here in TN.
I was torn between putting Oklahoma on the list. I've never been, but geographically it seems like Oklahoma is a blend of Southern, Midwestern, Great Plains, and Southwestern. By eastern Texas, I meant the entire eastern half. I've been to El Paso and it was not Southern.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,045,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I was torn between putting Oklahoma on the list. I've never been, but geographically it seems like Oklahoma is a blend of Southern, Midwestern, Great Plains, and Southwestern. By eastern Texas, I meant the entire eastern half. I've been to El Paso and it was not Southern.
Well yeah, geographically and architecturaly, Oklahoma looks like the West. My dad's hometown looks like one of those towns in the Western shows. But culturally, it doesn't feel much different from the rest of the South. The accent is the same and the people's attitudes are the same. Cowboy culture is big, but it's just as big in Nashville for some reason.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:25 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,565,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Some people here on CD assume that the South is only areas where the Deep Southern culture totally predominates. Who decided this? Because Texas and Virginia are not like Alabama for instance they are not southern at all?

The South is a geographical reference also. Virginia, Texas and yes Florida have not moved in over the past 100 years. The fact is that the South contains more than one culture - and the predominate southern culture changes and adapts with time just like any other.
Technically if you look at a map, Virginia is in the middle of the East Coast. To prove that, Richmond is closer to Boston than it is to Jacksonville, Fl. Alexandria Va is further north in latitude than San Francisco. From Alexandria, one can drive to Long Island in less than 5 hrs.

Culturally, much of Virginia is southern but it is also transient at the same time. One can't reference back to the past 100 years or the Mason-Dixon line because a lot of people who live in Virginia do not quite fit this "Steel Magnolias" stereotype now. Culture changes with the times as you have indicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.