U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,922,278 times
Reputation: 1114

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Some people here on CD assume that the South is only areas where the Deep Southern culture totally predominates. Who decided this? Because Texas and Virginia are not like Alabama for instance they are not southern at all?

The South is a geographical reference also. Virginia, Texas and yes Florida have not moved in over the past 100 years. The fact is that the South contains more than one culture - and the predominate southern culture changes and adapts with time just like any other.

That's one great post from you. I really do hate it when folks on both sides act dismissive and say something "I'm from Austin, we don't act like Alabama" or "People from Nawlins are Catholic and have French culture, so they aren't Southern"...it's foolish. The more fair comparison would be rural, suburban, and urban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
It is worth noting that between 1900 and WW2 a HUGE migration of Southerners came into the northern states, both black and white. Do we say that New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois etc. are no longer northern states?

No instead we just generally except the fact that the North adapted and changed - and our culture was generally enriched.
Again, good post. I agree with what you typed. I've seen a few people dismiss the larger more transient cities in the South as being barely Southern and it's dumb to me to say that. It seems that people forget that there's more to the South than White Southerners who reside in rural areas and have a long history in their region...Don't forget about the rest of us. That example that you used was good so don't get mad when I use it (I can't give you any rep points).

Last edited by David Alleyne; 01-24-2009 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2009, 02:24 PM
 
1,193 posts, read 1,560,378 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Wow you just raised a couple of different points that I find interesting. I will take care of the "culture" thing first because its more on topic and then the "name" thing in a second post.

"But you can't ignore the culture of today"
But what exactly is the culture of today? If you think Virginia is now a northern culture how did it turn into a northern one and when? And if you say it is "Mid-atlantic" what the hell is mid atlantic culture in the first place LOL! And when did it become a Mid Atlantic culture instead of a Southern one?

I must admit to me Virginia seems to be sort of Southern lite or "Upper South". Just one part of the broader Southern culture.

I wonder how people in Virginia, Kentucky and Texas etc. feel about this.
At first I didn't see this post but I'll respond. I never said that Virginia was totally of northern culture. If anything it is 'southern lite'. But Virginia isn't as southern today like it was 50 years ago. Think transplants. Also I think that Va was never as southern as places like South Carolina and Georgia to begin with.

You could look at it from many angles. It could be seen as the 'Upper South' as you pointed out. But I think it's more accurate to coin it as Mid-Atlantic. Mid-Atlantic in terms of having characteristics of both North and South. Mid-Atlantic geographically and culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 02:32 PM
 
1,193 posts, read 1,560,378 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
That's one great post from you. I really do hate it when folks on both sides say dismissive and say something "I'm from Austin, we don't act like Alabama" or "People from Nawlins are Catholic and have French culture, so they aren't Southern"...it's foolish. The more fair comparison would be rural, suburban, and urban.



Again, good post. I agree with what you typed. I've seen a few people dismiss the larger more transient cities in the South as being barely Southern and it's dumb to me to say that. It seems that people forget that there's more to the South than White Southerners who reside in rural areas and have a long history in the region...Don't forget about the rest of us. That example that you used was good so don't get mad when I use it (I can't give you any rep points).
But thats the thing. Those transient cities tend to have people from all over and they bring their influences. Cities can be anomalies in a region. Things change. You can't just plaster history and let it be the end all, be all. Geography doesn't change but culture can with time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 02:54 PM
 
2,057 posts, read 4,870,064 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
So what you're telling us is that you never leave the house?
No, what I am saying is that the majority of the people from SC are rednecks. However, do you understand that people move so everyone that lives here is not from SC.

Also, I think that your the one that never leaves your house. You have 677 posts.... can you explain that?

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 01-24-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2009, 07:53 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,922,278 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
But thats the thing. Those transient cities tend to have people from all over and they bring their influences. Cities can be anomalies in a region. Things change. You can't just plaster history and let it be the end all, be all. Geography doesn't change but culture can with time.
Sorry for the tardiness of this post. It's funny because I agree with what you're saying and have even posted stuff similar to what you typed. The only thing I get tired of on this forum is the negative stuff from within the South of the transient cities (not all but I have some in mind). What I'm saying is that our areas don't fit the prototype but that doesn't make us exempt. Virginia is the 'Mother of Southern culture' but some of my fellow deep-Southerners want to say "Not really that Southern" in a bad way, so the Transients are seen as something not that good for some strange reason. I think we see eye to eye but the wordings were different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
The South: southern Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, northern Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, eastern Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee

neither Southern or Northern: Kentucky, West Virginia, northern Virginia, DC, Maryland, Delaware, Missouri
Kentucky needs to go on the top list thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 AM
 
7 posts, read 25,714 times
Reputation: 15
I disagree with Oklahoma. Southeast Oklahoma and actually Oklahoma/Texas Oklahoma/Arkansas borders are the most southern. But where I live has a very southwest taste and not a southern... Oklahoma is different than you people think... its not Texas you know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 09:39 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmecoco View Post
I disagree with Oklahoma. Southeast Oklahoma and actually Oklahoma/Texas Oklahoma/Arkansas borders are the most southern. But where I live has a very southwest taste and not a southern... Oklahoma is different than you people think... its not Texas you know
Wherebouts do you live in Oklahoma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 AM
 
7 posts, read 25,714 times
Reputation: 15


bout 15 minutes from this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 10:52 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmecoco View Post

bout 15 minutes from this
VERY scenic..but where is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top