U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2009, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,264 posts, read 7,271,024 times
Reputation: 5943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
North:

...and South.


love those pictures!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,264 posts, read 7,271,024 times
Reputation: 5943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
The South: The traitor states plus Kentucky, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Maryland, and Delaware. Also, Missouri below 70. And maybe some bits of southern Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and New Jersey. (70 could be a decent divider in those border states) Basically, if the mason-dixon kept going in either direction.


Some people in places like Indiana might not KNOW they live in the south but that is because people in the south are uneducated.

(italicized part is not serious)
Alot of people In Indiana consider Interstate 70 to be Indiana's Mason Dixon Line. If you ever drove through a town North of I-70 and then went South of I-70 you can definetly see the difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The Mason Dixon Line is not Interstate 70 in Missouri by a longshot...the Ohio River is the approximate cultural divider between the North and South...most of Missouri lies well north of the latitude where the Ohio meets the Mississippi. The south to me is anything below U.S. 60 west of the Mississippi, and east of the Mississippi anything below the Ohio River. True Southern culture does not really above far Southern Missouri.
US 60 and the Ohio River are good geographical points that divide the North and the south
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What do you want to bet that the guy on the toilet is from southern Indiana?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
He's not, and for two critical reasons:

1) Southern Indiana isn't "the South", and
2) we wear shoes up North.
Southern Indiana I would consider to be a border region. It isnt necessarily completely associated with Southern Culture nor is it necessarily associated with Northern Culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
28 posts, read 116,391 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
At first I didn't see this post but I'll respond. I never said that Virginia was totally of northern culture. If anything it is 'southern lite'. But Virginia isn't as southern today like it was 50 years ago. Think transplants. Also I think that Va was never as southern as places like South Carolina and Georgia to begin with.

You could look at it from many angles. It could be seen as the 'Upper South' as you pointed out. But I think it's more accurate to coin it as Mid-Atlantic. Mid-Atlantic in terms of having characteristics of both North and South. Mid-Atlantic geographically and culturally.
As a native Virginian, I agree. Virginia possesses characteristics of both the North and the South. The same as Maryland, West Virginia, and Delaware (with DE and MD leaning to the north and VA to the south). Either way, each of these states are transition states between the North and the South. They are too complex to be just be labeled one or the other. So, Mid-Atlantic is the most suitable term for these states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 05:48 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
Reputation: 2078
There is a serious obsession of North versus South on this site. Talk about beating a dead horse...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Southern Indiana I would consider to be a border region. It isnt necessarily completely associated with Southern Culture nor is it necessarily associated with Northern Culture
Sorry, I disagree. When you look at the facts, Southern Indiana, Illinois, Ohio etc is not considered a part of the South historically or culturally, and never was.

I guess my point here is that the Ohio River serves as the cultural boundary within the Midwest, and that you can find both Southern and Northern "influences" on either side of the river. These influences fade as you travel farther and farther away from the river. This also is why Louisville is considered a Southern city, and Cincinnati a Northern one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Western Hoosierland
18,264 posts, read 7,271,024 times
Reputation: 5943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
There is a serious obsession of North versus South on this site. Talk about beating a dead horse...

Sorry, I disagree. When you look at the facts, Southern Indiana, Illinois, Ohio etc is not considered a part of the South historically or culturally, and never was.

I guess my point here is that the Ohio River serves as the cultural boundary within the Midwest, and that you can find both Southern and Northern "influences" on either side of the river. These influences fade as you travel farther and farther away from the river. This also is why Louisville is considered a Southern city, and Cincinnati a Northern one.
that is kind of what I was trying to say. Southern Indiana has Northern and Southern Influences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 09:31 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmecoco View Post
I disagree with Oklahoma. Southeast Oklahoma and actually Oklahoma/Texas Oklahoma/Arkansas borders are the most southern. But where I live has a very southwest taste and not a southern... Oklahoma is different than you people think... its not Texas you know
So what makes a place Western and not Southern? I go to Nashville a lot and all I see are cowboy hats and "Western" bars. I wouldnt exclude Oklahoma from the South just because there's some Western influence. Lots of places in the South have Western influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
that is kind of what I was trying to say. Southern Indiana has Northern and Southern Influences.
Don't most areas of the U.S. have influences from all regions? I mean, it is 2009 and there has been a lot of migration from region to region over the past 30 years. At the very least, most larger southern cities have regional and international cultural influences that have diluted the local cultures just as much as VA, MD, or whatever state/city usually comes up in a discussion on this subject. Why is is SO important to people on this site? I've noticed that the most adamant and argumentative ones insist that their state/city IS NOT part of the South...those always make me laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 07:08 AM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why is is SO important to people on this site? I've noticed that the most adamant and argumentative ones insist that their state/city IS NOT part of the South...those always make me laugh.
It's important because people don't want to be associated with a culture that isn't like theres. When people make those arguments, they would know best what culture they associate with. Is the only reason you laugh because you don't agree with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
It's important because people don't want to be associated with a culture that isn't like theres. When people make those arguments, they would know best what culture they associate with. Is the only reason you laugh because you don't agree with it?
I don't think that is it at all, at least not 99% of the time. It seems like the problem is that people in those transition areas don't want to be associated with the South and the negative perceptions that often come with it.

I laugh because it's funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't think that is it at all, at least not 99% of the time. It seems like the problem is that people in those transition areas don't want to be associated with the South and the negative perceptions that often come with it.

I laugh because it's funny.
I laugh at people who won't accept what locals think. That's even funnier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top