U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,148,922 times

Advertisements

^I have to side with DeaconJ on this one, Billiam.

There is an irrational fear of the South in the DC/MD/VA area by certain people. Fear or hatred, sometimes it crosses over. It is actually amusing to watch some of the wild things said.

The same can be said of some residents of SE Florida. They would rather be drawn and quartered than to admit they live in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^I have to side with DeaconJ on this one, Billiam.

There is an irrational fear of the South in the DC/MD/VA area by certain people. Fear or hatred, sometimes it crosses over. It is actually amusing to watch some of the wild things said.

The same can be said of some residents of SE Florida. They would rather be drawn and quartered than to admit they live in the South.
But many people are simply ignorant to the fact that states don't always fall into ONE catagory. Maryland - Northern, Southern, and Appalachian. You can not say it belongs to just one of those, that would be ignorant. Western MD - Appalachian. Mid - Maryland is Northern with slight southern hints mixed in. Southern Maryland is Southern with slight hints of Northern In it. The Eastern Shore is Southern but with a mix of North In it. Baltimore city has a very northern feel to it, no sothern at all. DC has a northern feeling with a small to decent mix of Southern. Maryland/DC/Nova is just too diverse to label as south, North, or whatever so we just we are Mid-Atlantic. I live not 20 minutes from the PA line and yet im called southern? Even though schools teach us that we live in the Northeast? So locals points of views don't count? Very odd.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
But many people are simply ignorant to the fact that states don't always fall into ONE catagory. Maryland - Northern, Southern, and Appalachian. You can not say it belongs to just one of those, that would be ignorant. Western MD - Appalachian. Mid - Maryland is Northern with slight southern hints mixed in. Southern Maryland is Southern with slight hints of Northern In it. The Eastern Shore is Southern but with a mix of North In it. Baltimore city has a very northern feel to it, no sothern at all. DC has a northern feeling with a small to decent mix of Southern. Maryland/DC/Nova is just too diverse to label as south, North, or whatever so we just we are Mid-Atlantic. I live not 20 minutes from the PA line and yet im called southern? Even though schools teach us that we live in the Northeast? So locals points of views don't count? Very odd.
No state falls into ONE category...Tennessee fits that description just as Maryland does - Maryland/D.C./Nova is not unique in that scenario.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 01-27-2009 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
No state falls into ONE category...Tennessee fits that description just as Maryland does - Maryland/D.C./Nova is not unique in that scenario.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,148,922 times
^Sure they count, and they should.

I am just agreeing with DeaconJ when he states there is a fear of anything Southern, with regards to certain forumers from the DC metro. A fear/loathing so strong that SOME would even deny the history of the area. I certainly do not include you in this line of thought at all.

If you live in Frederick, I would agree that there is hardly anything Southern at all in your area. A great area, I might add. My sister and her family used to live just to your North, in Adams County. I am very familiar with the area.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,201,193 times
Quote:

I laugh because it's funny.
that is an excellent reason to laugh

Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,921,893 times
Quote:
Hey Deac, I'm not choosing any type of sides here but MD (a border state) is surrounded by PA, DE, VA, and WV (another border state). MD has in my opinion 2 or 3 Northern states close by (no I'm not slow I say 2/3 depending on how you view DE along with PA/NJ) and 1 or 2 Southern states (VA and maybe DE) and another mixed-up border state WV. TN is just a mix of Appalachian, Southern, and maybe some Mid-Western in the NW corner. I think that you're saying that both have more than one 1 or two cultures but there's no doubt that MD has some NJ,PA, DE, VA, and WV in it and I'm not even getting into DC. The only thing that I know frustrates the both of us is when people get into that smug high horse attitude and start talking crazy when it comes to this 'MD, N or S' topic.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Hey Deac, I'm not choosing any type of sides here but MD (a border state) is surrounded by PA, DE, VA, and WV (another border state). MD has in my opinion 2 or 3 Northern states close by (no I'm not slow I say 2/3 depending on how you view DE along with PA/NJ) and 1 or 2 Southern states (VA and maybe DE) and another mixed-up border state WV. TN is just a mix of Appalachian, Southern, and maybe some Mid-Western in the NW corner. I think that you're saying that both have more than one 1 or two cultures but there's no doubt that MD has some NJ,PA, DE, VA, and WV in it and I'm not even getting into DC. The only thing that I know frustrates the both of us is when people get into that smug high horse attitude and start talking crazy when it comes to this 'MD, N or S' topic.
I personally don't care where people place Maryland...they can think that they are part of Siberia if they want to.

I totally disagree about Tennessee or any other state...you're being a little general with your assessment of a diverse and varied state. Memphis is VERY different from Knoxville...Chattanooga has the historical industrial element and turned it into tourism...Nashville is full of transplants like Atlanta/Charlotte/Raleigh/Dallas/etc - but we don't have heated discussions about whether Tennessee is part of the South. I'm just making a point that every state, and especially large cities, has strong cultural influences outside of the traditional/local culture...and the culture is in these places is as diverse and eclectic as it is in Maryland.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,921,893 times
Quote:
I'm just making a point that every state, and especially large cities, has strong cultural influences outside of the traditional/local culture...and the culture is in these places is as diverse and eclectic as it is in Maryland.
Oh yeah, any large/major city in whatever state is different (in every way) from the rest of the state (unless that state had another major city in it).

Old 01-27-2009, 04:07 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,560,189 times
Quote:
I don't think that is it at all, at least not 99% of the time. It seems like the problem is that people in those transition areas don't want to be associated with the South and the negative perceptions that often come with it.

I laugh because it's funny.
To be fair, some people do identify themselves as southerners. Honestly, natives don't even think or care about this North/South thing like that. True, there are some jerks who look down on others (in which i disapprove), but transition zones do exist, as you indicated. Thats the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.