Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:44 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What do you want to bet that the guy on the toilet is from southern Indiana?
He's not, and for two critical reasons:

1) Southern Indiana isn't "the South", and
2) we wear shoes up North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 40,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
He's not, and for two critical reasons:

1) Southern Indiana isn't "the South", and
2) we wear shoes up North.
You're right. But that does not mean the guy sitting on the toilet isn't from Southern Indiana. You probably have never been to Tell City, Cannelton (sp?), Reo, or Rockport, Indiana. You wouldn't know you were in the 'North' by visiting those towns. You might want to let them know that they're supposed to wear shoes.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
North is left, south is right.

Unless you're facing a direction other than east, in which case, you can ignore this post, or preferably this thread altogether.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Most of Missouri is actually north of the Mason Dixon line. The state lies almost entirely north of the latitude of the Ohio River.
Good point LOL It's been a looooooong week!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
It's easy. You're in Washington, DC and you're looking across the Potomac River. You're facing south. (See? I said it was easy!)

Old 12-18-2008, 04:21 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
South: Va (not nova), slight parts of MD and DE, NC, SC, GA, FL panhandle, MS, TN, AL, KY, LA, some TX, maybe a little OK, AR, and a sliver of MO

North : Most of MD, most of DE, DC, Nova, Pa, NJ, NY, New England

Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Yeh, I've been to Maryland and Delaware and there ain't a southern thing about them....nothing compared to the overt southern culture of Texas as well as Oklahoma and Arkansas (Kissin' Cousins).

Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
I would consider the following areas to be in the South: most of Texas, most of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Also, parts of Missouri, Kentucky, and West Virginia would be considered as Southern.

I would consider Kansas, Missouri, Kenucky, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware to be transition stations between the North and South.

The North includes the following areas: Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachussetts, and Maine.

States that I would consider neither North or South would be the western states (west of the southern plains and northern plains states): Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii.

I often associate southern states with culture and geography and lump the Southern Plains areas with the South and the Upper Midwest/Northern Plains states with the North for practical purposes.

As for me, I warmed up the car, had a winter coat on, and drove on snowpacked roads this evening.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post
My definition of the north would include MD, DE, and DC. I mean DE is the suburbs of Philly! When people say "the north" or "east coast" I think it refers to the Northeast, not the Midwest so much. However western PA/NY tend to feel more Midwestern than Northeastern.
I usually refer to the Northeast as just "The North". I know that the Midwest is the North also but the I never really noticed this cultural difference between Midwesterners in Cincinnati and Southerners from ATL, Loiusville, Orlando, and Tampa. Call me naive but that's me. Anyway, just agreeing with you some.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I would consider the following areas to be in the South: most of Texas, most of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Also, parts of Missouri, Kentucky, and West Virginia would be considered as Southern.

I would consider Kansas, Missouri, Kenucky, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware to be transition stations between the North and South.

The North includes the following areas: Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachussetts, and Maine.

States that I would consider neither North or South would be the western states (west of the southern plains and northern plains states): Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii.

I often associate southern states with culture and geography and lump the Southern Plains areas with the South and the Upper Midwest/Northern Plains states with the North for practical purposes.

As for me, I warmed up the car, had a winter coat on, and drove on snowpacked roads this evening.
I agree that transitions from the north to the south occur in the states you mentioned, but it's not nearly as simple as you make it out to be. Kansas in the southern half of the state is where the transition from the Northern Plains to the Southern Plains occurs. In Missouri, the Southern half of the state is a transition zone between the Midwest and the South. The Northern half, including St. Louis, Columbia, and Kansas City, is undeniably Midwestern. In Kentucky, the northern half of the state (above Louisville and Lexington) transitions from the south to the Midwest. West Virginia is mostly Southern with the northern half beginning to transition to Northern Appalachia/Northeast. Maryland and Delaware are mostly Northeastern. So I think using this logic one could throw Kansas, Missouri, Maryland, and Delaware in with the Northern states and Kentucky and West Virginia in with the Southern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.