U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:02 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,134,235 times

Advertisements

It seems as if everyone's opinion of what is the north and south shifts from one extreme to the other. Whether it be geographically, culturally or stereotypically it can always be debatable between those from the "north" and those from the "south" and sometimes between two people from the same region.

At first I thought, "The north doesn't really know s*** about the south and the south doesn't really know s*** about the north." but then I thought about it and was like, "What is either one?"

Everyone south of the mason-dixon line (which I only here people north of it mention) doesn't eat, talk, or live the same and neither do the people above it so how do we generalize it?

ok ok enough rambling, What is you definition of the north or south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 10:15 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,136,811 times
North- Conjusted in many areas but rich in history. Beutiful scenery all over. Diversity is a big part in the north and it's still growing. Also the 4 seasons are at it best in the north.

South- Few big time cities but many vast beutiful scenery. Not as much conjustion throughout but still has cities rich in history. It is also more americanized due to its less cultural mix as to the north.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:17 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,677,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
North- Conjusted in many areas but rich in history. Beutiful scenery all over. Diversity is a big part in the north and it's still growing. Also the 4 seasons are at it best in the north.

South- Few big time cities but many vast beutiful scenery. Not as much conjustion throughout but still has cities rich in history. It is also more americanized due to its less cultural mix as to the north.
agreed.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,206,999 times
North:

...and South.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,113,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It seems as if everyone's opinion of what is the north and south shifts from one extreme to the other. Whether it be geographically, culturally or stereotypically it can always be debatable between those from the "north" and those from the "south" and sometimes between two people from the same region.

At first I thought, "The north doesn't really know s*** about the south and the south doesn't really know s*** about the north." but then I thought about it and was like, "What is either one?"

Everyone south of the mason-dixon line (which I only here people north of it mention) doesn't eat, talk, or live the same and neither do the people above it so how do we generalize it?

ok ok enough rambling, What is you definition of the north or south?
Hmmmm...interesting question, WestBankNOLA...

Broadly speaking, my own definition -- in terms of a purely North/South dichotomy and in whole states (which is not always easy to do) geography-history-culture -- when I speak of "The South"?

I mean the 11 Old Confederate States, plus Kentucky and Oklahoma and West Virginia. Those states north of Oklahoma, the Ohio River and Virginia are what I usually mean when I say "the North". That is, the Midwest and Northeast. I might add that Missouri is especially hard in this regard...

The "West" are those states of the Rocky Mountains, Pacific Coast, and Interior Southwest (i.e. Arizona and New Mexico).

Old 12-15-2008, 10:37 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,360,503 times
oh God Colts, you just started a fire with 100 gallons of gasoline.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:41 AM

114 posts, read 182,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
North:

...and South.
Have you never been to the Battery in Charleston? It looks very similiar to the top picture.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,452,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
Have you never been to the Battery in Charleston? It looks very similiar to the top picture.
Yes, dontcha just love how the North = urbane, sophistication, good architecture, etc. as though the South had none of these things? While the South = guns, NASCAR, trailer parks, etc. Let's compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges, shall we? Northern towns/cities to Southern towns/cities, not Northern towns/cities to Southern trailer parks.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:52 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,360,503 times
I think he was just joking around. Sometimes it is fun to joke around and not take things so seriously.

We all know people in the south arnt taking a crap on their porch with a beer. Just a joke, just a joke.

I seen the later picture in the north also. I come from Central, Pa btw.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:56 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,677,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post

...and South.
GRANDPA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.