U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 PM
 
756 posts, read 1,696,464 times
Reputation: 275

Advertisements

People from Chicago are pretty crass and uncivilized. NYC, SF, and Seattle have very friendly people. The attitude in Dallas has definitely simmered down I've noticed in the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2008, 07:21 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,751,221 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
...New Orleans
They do have the friendliest swindlers who like to take advantage of tourists.
New Orleans is one of the worst places I've ever seen. I haven't been there since Katrina, but I can't imagine it's improved much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM
 
5,772 posts, read 13,730,437 times
Reputation: 4583
Take it with a grain of salt because it's been some time since I lived there, so it may have changed, but Columbus used to have a lot of people who seemed very friendly in a laid back, unpretentious way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,420,814 times
Reputation: 8936
New Orleans! Out of all the places I've been to I've found New Orleanians to be some of the nicest most helpful people in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 09:52 PM
 
Location: DFW Texas
3,096 posts, read 6,776,263 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
The attitude in Dallas has definitely simmered down I've noticed in the past few years.
Are you kidding me? When I left Dallas in 2000 it was FULL of "Dallitude", and when I returned in 2006, it was worse than ever!!! Maybe because I was away for so long, but after living in CT between NYC & Boston, I can tell you, IT HASNT CHANGED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 PM
 
2,506 posts, read 7,758,215 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
They do have the friendliest swindlers who like to take advantage of tourists.
New Orleans is one of the worst places I've ever seen. I haven't been there since Katrina, but I can't imagine it's improved much.
Say what you will about the city (you did leave the French Quarter, right?)...New Orleanians are the nicest group of people I have ever seen. They put Minneapolis to shame, and I say that as a 5th generation Minneeapolitan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 AM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,751,221 times
Reputation: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Say what you will about the city (you did leave the French Quarter, right?)...New Orleanians are the nicest group of people I have ever seen. They put Minneapolis to shame, and I say that as a 5th generation Minneeapolitan.
Yeah, I left the French Quarter a bit. Still didn't like it at all. I guess I should have elaborated. "Worst place I've been to" didn't mean the least friendliest, though I don't find it any friendlier or more welcoming than other places. New Orleans is one of the worst places I think I've ever seen for a host of reasons. If it came down to it, I'd probably pick East St. Louis over it.

Maybe it's because I lived in the south for the vast majority of my life, but I'm extremely skeptical when southerners display any type of friendliness at all. I've been burned too many times. A lot of the 'hospitality' is just a show they put on when they hear a different accent in the room.

I haven't spent much time in Minneapolis, but from what little I've seen, it is nice on a scale that no other place I've been to can touch. Maybe they talk bad about you as soon as you walk away, I don't know, but from what I saw, there's a level of civility and pleasantness that is unheard of in most places around the country. I've never had a better experience dealing with people than what I've had in Minnesota.
Many of them even carry this over into how they drive. I've never seen so many people in a big city drive like they have any sense. Of course, there were a few typical "I'm in a hurry, so you better get over it" types, but not on the level that you see in most places.

Last edited by northbound74; 12-16-2008 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,231,032 times
Reputation: 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Maybe it's because I lived in the south for the vast majority of my life, but I'm extremely skeptical when southerners display any type of friendliness at all. I've been burned too many times. A lot of the 'hospitality' is just a show they put on when they hear a different accent in the room.
Sounds like Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky.

Quote:
I haven't spent much time in Minneapolis, but from what little I've seen, it is nice on a scale that no other place I've been to can touch. Maybe they talk bad about you as soon as you walk away, I don't know, but from what I saw, there's a level of civility and pleasantness that is unheard of in most places around the country. I've never had a better experience dealing with people than what I've had in Minnesota.
Many of them even carry this over into how they drive. I've never seen so many people in a big city drive like they have any sense. Of course, there were a few typical "I'm in a hurry, so you better get over it" types, but not on the level that you see in most places.
Sounds like I need to check out Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 33,547,663 times
Reputation: 5566
Oklahoma City and Fort Worth in no particular order. Some of the nicest, friendliest people that you'll meet anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Portland OR
1,924 posts, read 2,779,385 times
Reputation: 2466
Country so full of people is bound to have some nice ones and not so nice ones.

Attitude is very important.

There is an old joke about newcomers to town asking pastor what type of people live in the new town. Pastor asks them what kind of people lived in town they came from. They replied grouchy, mean and did not go out of their way to help. Pastor replied that same type of people live here as well.

Next week same dialogue occurs with another newcomer. This time newcomer replied that people were friendly, great and helped each other where he came from. Pastor gave same reply, "People are the same here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top