U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:22 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,746,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I will be about 3 hours from Toronto if I live in Oil city and my dad's cousins live there. )
How fast do you drive?!?

It's about 3 hours from Toronto to Erie, PA. It should be about 4 hours, maybe a little longer to Oil City at 65-75 mph.

I live 20 minutes west of Toronto, closer to the border and it takes about 6 hours to drive to Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 01:30 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,822,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How fast do you drive?!?

It's about 3 hours from Toronto to Erie, PA. It should be about 4 hours, maybe a little longer to Oil City at 65-75 mph.

I live 20 minutes west of Toronto, closer to the border and it takes about 6 hours to drive to Pittsburgh.
NAH may be thinking in terms of Florida (ie- flat and straight) miles vs mountain miles.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:22 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,646,690 times
Default Let's think about this.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How fast do you drive?!?

Well let's not be hasty here.

A quick check shows:

Oil City to Buffalo is 208 miles @ 4 hours

Oil City to Pittsburgh is 93 miles @ 1 hour - 49 minutes

Oil City to Cleveland is 150 miles @ 2 hours - 51 minutes

Oil City to Erie is 108 miles @ 2 hours

Those are actual driving miles as MapQuest would route you city to city, usually best case scenario.

Then factor is time of day, weather, traffic and usually you have to add a bit. Plus depending on his route he has a bunch of secondary routes and small towns to navigate out to the major freeways. We have no idea what those routes are really like.

If going North he could have a bit of "Retrace Mileage" going the wrong way initially depending on his route. Then you have this dilemma where the shortest route is not the fastest. Happens a lot in hilly, mountains, etc. A flatter secondary road where you can pass other cars easy is better and you may stay in higher gears and actually make better time / burn less gas going more miles. This can all get complicated. Night can be super different than day. Throw in red lights and speed traps, o boy the permutations start to add up.

I can relate to all this. My supply run to a bigger place is 50 miles one way, got two choices. Both have a State Route secondary leg about 30 miles of the way. Typical run takes one hour in decent weather. Usually nominal traffic. Normal goodie run will take 4 -5 hours total with screwing around shopping. Usually requires a lunch stop somewhere. My secondary roads have almost no small towns in one direction, couple in the other, they are not really a factor, no red lights, no real speed traps.

A supply run down to Columbus will be about hundred miles one way, same as his typical runs. Talking driving time about 2.5 hours. Pack a lunch, you got an all day trip, typical run time total is like coming on 8 hours. Like most big cities you can hit brutal traffic, walls of big trucks. Bad weather can be a nightmare, creeping 25 - 35 mpg most of the way. Bad enough usually you cancel.

Some map study is probably called for as well as a good check out on the exploratory trip. Might not be important initially but it sure tends to get that way after you have been there a while.

Yup, ain't like Florida, different strokes for different folks, changes in attitude with changes in latitude. Was one of the reason I said before best seen when the snow is flying.

BTW - I did not realize how many super cheap houses there were in Buffalo and Erie. Wowzer, we are talking under $10K, pages of them.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,998,894 times
Ive been using "as the crow flies" to route a strait path from point A to point B. 4 hours is a long drive to Toronto, difficult but doable. I could visit ColdCanadian, that would be exciting and he could visit me if I decide to live in Oil city. You do wanna visit me, right?

Wow its pretty far from Oil city to Pittsburgh or Erie, there better be a very good reason like a carnival, coin show, major shopping sales and the like.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:47 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,746,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Ive been using "as the crow flies" to route a strait path from point A to point B. 4 hours is a long drive to Toronto, difficult but doable. I could visit ColdCanadian, that would be exciting and he could visit me if I decide to live in Oil city. You do wanna visit me, right?

Wow its pretty far from Oil city to Pittsburgh or Erie, there better be a very good reason like a carnival, coin show, major shopping sales and the like.
As the crow flies?
Well southern Ontario generally isn't too hilly but to get here from Erie, because of the Great Lakes you go northeast for an hour and a half, west for another hour, then northeast for another hour.

Now that I think about it, it's about 3 hours from where I live to Erie, so add another 20-30 minutes to get you downtown in Toronto.

Border crossing also takes longer post 9/11...
It used to be a minute or two on a good day and 10 minutes on a bad day, now it's 5 minutes on a good day and 40+ minutes on a bad day.

Basically expect to lose another half hour coming both ways, compared to before. So factoring this, it should now be 4.5 hours from downtown Toronto to Erie PA and 7 hours to Pittsburgh PA.

I might want to come for a visit... Could be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.