U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:41 PM

21,634 posts, read 30,236,585 times

Advertisements

No winter bashing here, I LOVE winter, but everyone's tolerance for cold and heat is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,387,579 times
Reasons I dislike winter..in no particular order

1.) Heating bills and the fact the heat dries out and irritates your nasal passages causing respritory issues.

2.) Its nearly impossible to get out of bed when its cold. I dread the idea of getting up and walking to the bathroom.

3.) The dreary gray cloud which seems to linger over for 8 months. In Northeast it seems the winter never ends.

4.) When it snows having to get up an hour earlier just to shovel, defrost your car. Then after you shovel the snow plow buries you in again. If places shut down and everyone relaxed in the snow that would be one thing, but in NY, fat chance. Then driving painfully slow to work and your car gets destroyed from the salt/sand all over the place.

5.) Dangerous driving with all the ice/black ice.

6.) The inability to go out and enjoy the day/night. If my friends wanna go out I have to think if its worth freezing my buttocks off.

7.) Hate the short days! Depressing when its dark at 4:30 in the afternoon.

There is more things I hate about it but thats just the basics

Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 PM

166 posts, read 632,859 times
I wouldn't go so far as to say I love winter, but as someone who has lived in the north (and four years in Canada) all my life, I do appreciate its positive aspects, which are the following:

1. Snow day cancellations! Remember when you were little, waking up the morning after a snow storm, turning on the radio and waiting with anticipation and hope that your school would have the day off? And when they called your school or school district's name it was so exciting! Now that I'm an adult, it is a possibility that work can be cancelled because of snow/ice... doesn't happen often, but it has a few times.

2. Coming inside from the cold and feeling all warm and cozy

3. Hot chocolate

4. Hockey... best sport ever!

5. The smell of wood-burning fireplaces. I love taking walks at night and smelling the smoke coming from people's chimneys. Anyone who grew up in a Northern suburb will know what I'm talking about.

6. Winter sports... skiing, sledding, skating, etc.

7. Quietness. Winter is the least noisy time of the year... no lawn mowers, no loud music coming from rolled down car windows. Of course if it snows, then all the snow blowers come out and it's a different story.

8. That first warm day. You know what I'm talking about. It usually comes around late February and lasts only a day or two. It only gets up to about 55 degrees, but after weeks of being cold, people treat it like it's 80 degrees... you see men wearing shorts, women wearing skirts. You know that you still have a few more weeks of winter but on that first warm day everyone is happy and looking forward to Spring!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:14 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
Winter is the best 6 months of the year! jk. I love winter. I get excited when it snows the first few times each season. I don't mind shoveling the first few times each season. I love skiing, hot mint cocoa. I love wearing gloves, hats and scarves. By the end of February, though, I'm over it and can't wait for Spring.

I'm the same way about summer, though. I love eating outdoors at restaurants, going to the shore, baseball, but by August I can't wait for the cool autumn air to come and save us.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,269,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Winter is the best 6 months of the year! jk. I love winter. I get excited when it snows the first few times each season. I don't mind shoveling the first few times each season. I love skiing, hot mint cocoa. I love wearing gloves, hats and scarves. By the end of February, though, I'm over it and can't wait for Spring.

I'm the same way about summer, though. I love eating outdoors at restaurants, going to the shore, baseball, but by August I can't wait for the cool autumn air to come and save us.

Just about the same here!! I get very excited about the first snow i dont mind shoveling snow havent been skiing yet but i am willing to go for it. love hot cocoa.

almost the same about summer I am not exactly a fan of eating out doors but i love going to the closest beach baseball is fun to watch sometimes then autumn starts and temps cool down and then the process repeats itself.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,000,139 times
I love everything about Winter except for the driving in snow part. Hate it. But like has been said before, Ill take the occasional crap drive in snow over 6 months of ridiculous heat and humidity.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,358,684 times
Grew up ouside Boston. Have lived north of Utica NY for 20 some odd years. Winter is a great season although at age 71 I get cold quicker than before, but spent last week cutting and pulling logs out of the woods helping my Amish neighbor with his wood supply. Have always been active in the winter, skiing, snowmobiling, shoveling snow, ice fishing etc. If you play in it it's not bad at all and I'll be damned if I'll ever move south. Can't stand the heat.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,359,212 times
Why does everybody think us northerners just sit inside, eat, and get fat during winter? Thats what I do on really hot and humid days. I am actually more active in the cold.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,358,684 times
2nd that Awesome. Activity is the key.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,977,460 times
I am NOT a winter person, but it's my body that really hates it, so it's more of a medical issue. I can't handle 'cold'. However, I live in the Northwest, and unlike a lot of others, I can handle the grey rainy gloom because that's what I expect here in winter. When I have trouble with are the springs. We rarely have them, because the grey rainy gloom I just mentioned doesn't let up until the end of June most years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or