U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:48 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,296,674 times

Advertisements

Winter?? Wassat??

I dont like it for medical reasons. It makes me sick.

No really, my old bones hurt a whole lot more. I like four seasons, as long as they are all summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:59 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,358,850 times
Hey Jacq - Don'tput off today what you can put off tomorrow.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:04 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
I think Winter just causes the most problems for people and that is why it gets bashed on more than other seasons. People's mental and physical health, travel delays, closures, bad driving conditions, etc... They all seem worse in winter for most people than other seasons. Trying to drive through snow and ice is a lot harder than driving through "heat and humidity".

Old 12-16-2008, 03:18 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,296,674 times
Oh man, you should hear the Brits I work with. The second it gets above 20C..I think that's about 65F?? Not sure - but they all come in puffing, panting, complaining about the 'heat'.

One year it was about 45C one day - that is HOT, but we were at the beach in the country, and it was gorgeous. I told one of the guys at work this, you should've heard him. "OOOHHH..OOOHHH" (I had to check where his hands were at this point) .."OOOOH, the BEACH!! OOOHHHH"

So I do the same when it drops below 25C..'oh its FREEEZING!!' etc etc.
The only thing about summer is the A/C in most buildings. No wonder everyone gets the sniffles.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,849,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I mean come on Winter has been around longer than anyone on this earth. It will never go away for a very long time. yet people complain about it. I mean if you were born in a state that has winter and you grow up and live in that same state you should be used/expecting cold temperatures, snowfall, icy roads. I dont seem to understand that people who have lived through 30+ plus winters still continue to complain Winter every year it comes around.

you think you would be used to Winter by now.

I question the "getting used to it" idea...as I don't believe that really works. Maybe when you're young, but not when you're older. I've lived in Alaska for 60-some years, and it just keeps getting worse as I get older. The human body can only take so much cold...and the ability to "take it" definitely diminishes with age. Also, I can confirm that cold weather makes arthritus pain worse, and really cold air triggers asthma for my wife...
We don't plan on retiring here...

Summer=
Winter=

Bud

Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
When it's cold I'm practically stuck in the house all day watching TV and on the computer. If I'm in the cold too long, I start shivering, chapped lips, runny nose, teary eyed, and I'm pretty much miserable and sick for the next couple of days.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:14 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Winter is good because it diminishes insects and other pests while in warmer areas they just keep reproducing. Cold winter weather reduces dramatically people living on the streets, under viaducts and living in shacks along the roads. Consider the differences between an area like Buffalo NY and Jackson MS.

Winter allows one to have some quiet in door time and the world slows down--there are few outdoor chores and one can enjoy hot drinks and a good book.

Winter cold reduces violence because it reduces tempers that get inflamed on hot summer nights; maybe because it outdoor contacts are lessened.

All great civilization, in the modern era, have progressed scientifically and industrially in colder climates. The best nations of the world with progressive social legislation, less violent populace, better feed, better educated---most are in colder countries. I give you the Scandinavian Countries as a better standard of living vs. most African Countries and countries in the tropics. Extreme poverty seems to exist in warm tropical climates but are not as prevalent in colder countries.

Yet civilization did begin in warmer climates but eventually tired, died and were eclipsed by the people in the north temperate zones. Modern Western Civilization, though partly based on cultures from warmer climes, created the technology of today. Is is because heat, humidity do not help progressive thought??? Look at the scientific innovations, great literature and music of Russia, a very cold climate???

Perhaps cold and winter makes the technology innovation necessary in order to survive, while in warmer climates, the necessities of survival are not as dire, and consequently mankind can live a more relaxed carefree existence.

Livecontent

Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,004,409 times
Winters in the South Seas are generally 70-80F ... not sure if that's the winter your talking about but to each his/her paradise.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,864,128 times
I like winter, but I don't like commuting in the winter. Cold doesn't bother me all that much and I don't stay indoors and hide the minute it starts to snow, in fact, nothing pleases me more than a leisurely walk during a snowy night. I do however, think winter lasts too long where I live.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,921,502 times
I love winter...Make that Atlanta winters, it's about 64 degrees and cloudy down here. I might grill some burgers today and go walks the dog until about 5:25 (that's when it starts to get dark).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or