U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 AM

34,778 posts, read 33,852,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I mean come on Winter has been around longer than anyone on this earth. It will never go away for a very long time. yet people complain about it. I mean if you were born in a state that has winter and you grow up and live in that same state you should be used/expecting cold temperatures, snowfall, icy roads. I dont seem to understand that people who have lived through 30+ plus winters still continue to complain Winter every year it comes around.

you think you would be used to Winter by now.
I like cold weather. I have more energy in cold weather and want to be outside more than in the summer. However, cold doesn't mean ice and 2 feet or more of snow. Scraping the windshield, shoveling snow and skidding with the car or falling down on ice, when you get older is not desirable. So give me upper 30s, 40s and 50 degree temps - love them - but ice and snow, not so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:04 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,861,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Winter is the best 6 months of the year! jk. I love winter. I get excited when it snows the first few times each season. I don't mind shoveling the first few times each season. I love skiing, hot mint cocoa. I love wearing gloves, hats and scarves. By the end of February, though, I'm over it and can't wait for Spring.

I'm the same way about summer, though. I love eating outdoors at restaurants, going to the shore, baseball, but by August I can't wait for the cool autumn air to come and save us.
+1 - it's the change that I think I like most, although I do love snow (and we got some last night! ).

what i've never understood is the "implied opinion" that warm is better. have family in florida and every time we talk to them, they "brag" that it's 70 or 65 or whatever when it's cold here. I like winter and am not jealous! LOL

Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,631,504 times
People bashing Winter, you say? What sort of weird, twisted psychology is at work here? Shoveling snow isn't the best possible way to have fun...but don't hold that against Winter!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,159,327 times
because people don't like to feel their toes or fingers throb in pain from the arctic temperatures plus they don't like having their face feel like it is about to shatter in a million pieces due to the incredible cold (like around 8 degrees, none of this 30 degree business).

Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 AM

19,121 posts, read 26,795,837 times
I absolutely LOVE Autumn... the nice crispness, putting on a scarf for the first time, taking mid day walks... all that is awesome! Then...winter comes along and ruins it. I live on the coast of California and our winters rarely drop below 40 degrees or so, but you can be sure once it hits 60 people start bitching and complaining We're used to flip flops and tank tops all year round (although...you can catch most people, including myself, in flip flops and sandals here even when it's 50 degrees and raining). I don't do snow, don't do cold and I really don't like going to work when it's dark and coming home when its dark even though I work an 8-5.

I already can't wait for summer

Old 12-17-2008, 11:45 AM

55,896 posts, read 74,921,741 times
bek winter has bashed them?

Old 12-17-2008, 03:24 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,316,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I like winter, but I don't like commuting in the winter. Cold doesn't bother me all that much and I don't stay indoors and hide the minute it starts to snow, in fact, nothing pleases me more than a leisurely walk during a snowy night. I do however, think winter lasts too long where I live.

commuting in the winter can be quite eventful can it! I dont stay indoors a whole lot either. Walking during a snowstorm to tell you the truth i have never takenly a leisurely walk during a snowstorm! sounds like something i should do!!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:55 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,728,724 times
In Soviet Russia, winter bash you!

The funny thing is, is that it's actually true...
Everyone bashes winter because it' COLD.
and if you've ever been cold, it doesn't feel too nice.
Likewise, let summer roll around and everyone will complain esp in the Southwestern States (minus Northern California and the coastal areas of Southern CA) and the Southern states...
I like winter, in it's own way.
I remember in the Summer I wish it was winter, and in the winter i die for the blistering heat...LOL

Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 10,088,749 times
Today, we had the shop doors open for 4 hours. It was 4F out and it was a little breezy. It was COLD. My feet were cold until about 2PM and the shop still feels like an icebox. It takes hours to reheat the shop. Sunrise is at 10, sunset at 3:30.

Yep it's winter.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM

304 posts, read 830,710 times
im good off all that winter crap... hell nah

stinky people all covered up by layers of ugly clothes walking on dirty slushy streets..nah

im so glad im from california

its funny seeing all these fat tourists from delaware and other crappy states like new york in shorts and tees on hollywood blvd around christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or