U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,474,152 times

Advertisements

People who bash winter fall into what I call the "no balls and no hair on their chest" group. Theyd rather walk around in fruity flip-flops year round and get all their hair waxed off on a weekly basis while sipping lattes and driving VW Cabriolets with their collars popped on their Lacoste polos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,771,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
People who bash winter fall into what I call the "no balls and no hair on their chest" group. Theyd rather walk around in fruity flip-flops year round and get all their hair waxed off on a weekly basis while sipping lattes and driving VW Cabriolets with their collars popped on their Lacoste polos.
That's a stupid stereotype. I hate winter and would love to move somewhere warmer. I'm a firefighter in a Milwaukee suburb. I'll soon be working for Washington DC(one of the busiest and best fire depts in the nation) I run into burning buildings and rescue people from any type of emergency imaginable. I've seen people die in front me and have risked my life for others. But yea, I understand that I'm just a wuss.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:30 AM

812 posts, read 3,586,394 times
I love winter, my favorite season. Of course, I usually find myself in the minority, especially where I live.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:31 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,468,524 times
some of the things I hate about winter are--

waking up to a cold room then getting in the shower when its cold
ice, scraping windshields(not that I do it very often) and driving on ice
getting sick
wearing jackets and being bulky

things I like about winter--

its sunny almost all the time so it dont feel as bad in the daytime
snow

Old 12-18-2008, 01:51 AM

303 posts, read 765,096 times
Having lived in the Sunbelt my whole life, my body is not adjusted to cold weather at all. Though I don't mind winter if I can do fun stuff (skiing, snowball fights, etc.) and not have to put up with the hassles (driving, scraping ice, etc.).

Old 12-18-2008, 01:59 AM

Location: Michigan : Currently going to therapy I hate it so much here... Hope to move to Texas soon.
4 posts, read 24,889 times
Cause it makes me miserable, that's why.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:13 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,790,236 times
I guess becuz there is not much to do during the winter compared to summer. Winter (besides christmas and new years) is pretty much boring unless you live in the mountains somewhere and can go skiing or snowboarding. But but besides that its just boring. Just like someone said earlier your usually in hibernation mode and dont feel like doing much like goin to work and school when its like 20 degrees outside. Its miserable and boring for the most part. When its summer you can always go to a theme park or a beach or a lake, or a pool, then 4th of july fireworks olympics every 4yrs, family reunions, block parties. And if its to hot to play Basketball during the day go to a theme park or pool and chill til around 6:00 then play bball. There are alot more recreational and social activities that you can do like summer camps and stuff like that. And just more going on. In winter everybody is inside there house to themselves.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:37 AM

8,932 posts, read 13,696,727 times
You could say the exact same thing about summer. I know plenty of people who hate the hot, humid summer weather and complain about it year after year even though they've lived in a state with hot summers their whole life. It's not about being used to something or not expecting it - it's just the fact that people will complain about the things they don't like. It's as simple as that.

No matter how many winters I go through, I will still dislike a good portion of it. I hate the cold, I hate the dry air (it irritates my eyes and sinuses - I have to carry eye drops with me and use a humidifier at home), I hate the short days, I hate wearing multiple layers and still being cold. I could go on. Point being that when you dislike something, you dislike it and you're not necessarily going to just get used to it. I could read Catcher In The Rye 30 times and I'd still hate it. I could eat 30 carrots but I'd still hate carrots (I'd even perhaps hate them more!). The difference is, most of the time, people tend to avoid the things they dislike but that is more difficult to do with the weather. Moving to a place with ideal weather isn't always realistic. If I don't like carrots I can simply not eat them. Unfortunately, it's not that easy with the weather.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,567,118 times
I appreciate your "tongue-in-cheek" Steve-o although others may not, I guess. Might take issue with the VW part but thats my livelihood!!!

I was in Phoenix in May and people were already talking about hibernating or not coming out of the house until late afternoon or evening.

Here in the winter, I'm out and about during daylight, I don't have to sit inside all day and it is sunny alot! Bright, beautiful sunshine and I usually have my south facing inside front door open all day even if its zero out. The sun warms the storm door actually gets hot, awesome.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 AM

481 posts, read 1,154,329 times
The only thing that I don't like about winter is the fact that it gets dark at 4:30. On the good side is all the fun winter sports. People should never complain about having nothing to do during winter. Sledding, ice skating, snowball fights, skiing, hockey, etc, are all great things to do in the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or