U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 AM

8,897 posts, read 13,648,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
The only thing that I don't like about winter is the fact that it gets dark at 4:30. On the good side is all the fun winter sports. People should never complain about having nothing to do during winter. Sledding, ice skating, snowball fights, skiing, hockey, etc, are all great things to do in the cold.
Unfortunately not everyone has access to those kinds of activities - there's not always snow to play in and not everyone lives within a reasonable distance to a ski resort or something. And not everyone enjoys looking like a fool trying to stay upright on ice skates, lol (though I'm not one of them, apparently everyone I know in England is so I have no one to go with).

If you don't like it getting dark at 4:30, don't come to England in the winter! lol The sunset is officially about 3:50pm right now but it starts getting dark at least an hour before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 10:23 AM

481 posts, read 1,152,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

If you don't like it getting dark at 4:30, don't come to England in the winter! lol The sunset is officially about 3:50pm right now but it starts getting dark at least an hour before that.

I think that I would loose my mind in about two days if I had so little light.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
That's a stupid stereotype. I hate winter and would love to move somewhere warmer. I'm a firefighter in a Milwaukee suburb. I'll soon be working for Washington DC(one of the busiest and best fire depts in the nation) I run into burning buildings and rescue people from any type of emergency imaginable. I've seen people die in front me and have risked my life for others. But yea, I understand that I'm just a wuss.
Im glad that youre a FF and all, but Ive seen people die in front of me, as have many others. I dont understand why those in law enforcement or the military feel theyre the only ones who see that stuff? Im willing to bet that people in really dangerous neighborhoods see far more death than most people in the military and/or law enforcement.

Anyways, youd probably want to move somewhere warmer just so you could drive a convertible with the top down year round, be able to drink coffee outside year round and wear sandals year round. Right? Gotcha!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 AM

8,897 posts, read 13,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im glad that youre a FF and all, but Ive seen people die in front of me, as have many others. I dont understand why those in law enforcement or the military feel theyre the only ones who see that stuff? Im willing to bet that people in really dangerous neighborhoods see far more death than most people in the military and/or law enforcement.

Anyways, youd probably want to move somewhere warmer just so you could drive a convertible with the top down year round, be able to drink coffee outside year round and wear sandals year round. Right? Gotcha!
Please tell me you're joking? Otherwise, you've completely missed his point and I can't begin to understand why you have so much animosity towards people who simply don't like the cold weather. I didn't realize this was such a controversial issue!

He never said that people in law enforcement or military are the only ones to have seen people die - he was just saying that not liking the cold does not make one a wuss.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Please tell me you're joking? Otherwise, you've completely missed his point and I can't begin to understand why you have so much animosity towards people who simply don't like the cold weather. I didn't realize this was such a controversial issue!

He never said that people in law enforcement or military are the only ones to have seen people die - he was just saying that not liking the cold does not make one a wuss.
No, he threw in the fact that he's seen people die, so therefore he's not a "wuss". I said Ive seen people die, too, which makes me "not a wuss" I suppose.

Bottom line is that a lot of people like winter, a lot dont.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,038,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I mean come on Winter has been around longer than anyone on this earth. It will never go away for a very long time. yet people complain about it. I mean if you were born in a state that has winter and you grow up and live in that same state you should be used/expecting cold temperatures, snowfall, icy roads. I dont seem to understand that people who have lived through 30+ plus winters still continue to complain Winter every year it comes around.

you think you would be used to Winter by now.
The worst part about it for me is the 4:30 sunset and 8:30 sunrise. Its dark when I go to work and dark when I get off. Then on weekends, its usually raining because winter is the wet season in my area.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,501,560 times
If you lived where I live, you would hate winter (and every other seasons) that occur here. All of the cold winds, ice, sleet, and frost you can deal with, but not an inch of the only thing that makes winter worth it - snow!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:48 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,045,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I mean come on Winter has been around longer than anyone on this earth. It will never go away for a very long time. yet people complain about it. I mean if you were born in a state that has winter and you grow up and live in that same state you should be used/expecting cold temperatures, snowfall, icy roads. I dont seem to understand that people who have lived through 30+ plus winters still continue to complain Winter every year it comes around.

you think you would be used to Winter by now.
The same could be said about summer. People should expect heat and be used to it.

The bottom line is everyone has certain weather preferences and being born somewhere doesn't mean you automatically have to like the weather where you were born. As a winter basher myself, I can tell you people bash winter because they've seen the ugly side of winter one (or in many cases, way more than one) too many times. Scraping frost, shoveling snow, walking with caution on ice, numb fingers, looking forward to a shower just to be warm, being stuck indoor, being miserable when forced to go outside, being cold even with a coat, hot girls covering up, ugly scenery, bare trees, warming up your car, driving in the snow. The list is endless.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No, he threw in the fact that he's seen people die, so therefore he's not a "wuss". I said Ive seen people die, too, which makes me "not a wuss" I suppose.

Bottom line is that a lot of people like winter, a lot dont.
It wasn't about seeing people do, it was about being a fireman.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 AM

481 posts, read 1,152,678 times
work was canceled today due to winter weather. I would say that that is a big plus for the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or