U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 PM

217 posts, read 235,821 times

Advertisements

This thread is basically what it says. What cities do you think have changed over the past years? You know completely changed the ways people have viewed the city; turned heads, raised eyebrows? gave you a different opinion?

Example: This may sound bias (because I always talk about how great L.A. is) but before that I didn't care about Los Angeles I thought it was a **** hole to the north filled with gangs and violence and narcotic druggies, but my perspective of that city has changed. As I began to see that L.A. was changing and expanding I became more interested, It's crime rate has been down and its made excellent strives to dissipate its smog issues and to lower traffic and bring urbanity back into the name Los Angeles (even though it was never there) by building up it's urban core and so on an so on. I know Los Angeles still has a long way to go, but to me it has changed over the past years.

cites that you think have changed over time can be with-in a

1990-2008 time period

or any range of time

Last edited by UrbanityRules; 12-15-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM

166 posts, read 632,987 times
Within the 2000-2008 time period, I don't think you will find all that many changes. Here in New York City, most the gentrification that turned the city around took place in the 1990s. The process continued a little bit between 2000 and now, but not at the same rate. I believe it's the same for many other cities as well. 1990-2000 saw a lot of changes in cities in the Northeast, mostly for the better. Although, everything is so expensive now!

The obvious choice of course is New Orleans since hurricane Katrina totally changed the present and future of that city.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 PM

217 posts, read 235,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coem View Post
Within the 2000-2008 time period, I don't think you will find all that many changes. Here in New York City, most the gentrification that turned the city around took place in the 1990s. The process continued a little bit between 2000 and now, but not at the same rate. I believe it's the same for many other cities as well. 1990-2000 saw a lot of changes in cities in the Northeast, mostly for the better. Although, everything is so expensive now!

The obvious choice of course is New Orleans since hurricane Katrina totally changed the present and future of that city.

yes your right I am going to include a more liable time period.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:39 PM

681 posts, read 2,771,489 times
Des Moines has changed a lot in the last 10-20 years.

Because Iowa kicks off the presidential race with the Iowa Caucus, national press descend on the state every four years--then race back to the coasts until the next caucus. A year ago, this article ran in the New York Times in which a reporter talks about how much "cooler" Des Moines has gotten since the 2004 caucus.

Quote:
THERE was a time when being told that I would be spending New Yearís Eve in Des Moines would have, well, sobered me up in a New York minute.

But the Iowa presidential caucuses are being held on Jan. 3, so it looks as if I will indeed be spending New Yearís Eve in Des Moines. And that does not bother me at all. In fact, Iím rather looking forward to it.
[...]
Iím not sure I would go so far as to say that Des Moines has become a vacation destination. But it has most certainly become cool.
[...]
It is a change that has crept up on people who live here and comes as a surprise to the occasional visitors. That struck me a few weeks ago when I found myself responding with mild irritation ó O.K., defensively ó to what sounded to my ears like a hint of condescension to this city from the planeloads of Washingtonians who had arrived for a Democratic gala known as the Jefferson Jackson Dinner. It wasnít snobbery so much as they assumed they were visiting the Des Moines of 1984.
Journeys | Des Moines
In the Spotlight, Ready for Its Close-Up

Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,579,027 times
The racial demographics of Detroit many decades ago used to resemmble that of the cast of Happy Days before the very large migration of Blacks from the South. Now the racial demographics of Detroit resembles that of a Little Africa.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Easy, the south Bronx. I don't think many slums have turned around this much. There are still some pockets where there are abandoned lots and shelled out buildings, but not like it used to be:

Then:
Jimmy Carter touring the areas of destruction:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/05charlotte600pl5.jpg/1/w600.png (broken link)

Gotta check out this clip:

YouTube - South Bronx Ruins Wolfen 1981

Now:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6610/streetscape7charlottestiz3.jpg (broken link)
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/streetscape7charlottestiz3.jpg/1/w819.png (broken link)

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/brx00093ay9.jpg/1/w576.png (broken link)

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6617/10zivilgesellschaftex1.jpg (broken link)
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/10zivilgesellschaftex1.jpg/1/w400.png (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or