U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,339,392 times

Advertisements

Once again-- CHICAGO!
Towers, industry, trains, freeways, cement, shipyards, smokestacks.
Chicago is a big city for guys that need to compensate for smaller things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Why come?
Because it feels good.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Again, what is un-manly about gay clubs? They seem extra manly...they are full of men.
Sure there are lots of men in there, but are they "manly"? Thats the question.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,335,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Again, what is un-manly about gay clubs? They seem extra manly...they are full of men.
Those aren't real men. A manly man likes women, not other men. When a normal person thinks of a man and especially manly, gays aren't in the perception.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,372,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Those aren't real men. A manly man likes women, not other men.
This is a horribly ignorant statement.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,721,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I don't mean to start a debate or fight, but I would not call NYC a manly city (at least Manhattan I wouldn't call manly).

Manhattan is very fashion oriented and metro, and many of the guys there looked and dressed very fashionably in a way that would be considered "feminine" in the Midwest.

I also don't think Miami or Las Vegas are very manly. Do you know how much gays and lesbians have an influence on those cities? (Not saying it's a bad thing, but it makes the city less manly)

I would agree with others on your list. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Providence, Philly.... all cities with hardcore blue collar manliness.
Manhattan is not manly at all. But Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, and New Jersey are EXTREMELY manly because as much as you think otherwise, gentrification hasn't taken these places like it did Manhattan. Abandoned buildings are not around as much, but the buildings that were redone are now small businesses such as pubs, sports bars, and pizzerias.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:25 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,721,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
This is a horribly ignorant statement.
No, it's not. Homosexuals consider themselves feminine so how is that ignorant?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 AM

463 posts, read 1,367,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
No, it's not. Homosexuals consider themselves feminine so how is that ignorant?
There are feminine gays, masculine "bear" gays, and gays who look and act just like you and I, and everything in between.

As far as what cities are manly? From my experiance most parts of Pennsylvania are pretty manly, with the exception of many of the suburban areas south of Blue Mountian (but not all). In other states, I tend to think the more industral cities / cities with industrial heratige tend to be a bit more manly.

But still, the whole idea of a city being more "manly" than each other is kind of silly. No matter where you go you are going to find iffemminate men and manly men. I've met femenised man from the manly Coal Region, and I've also met tough guys from the Allentown suburbs. So the stereotype of a manly area is at best a weak truth or maybe just a media image.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,572,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Those aren't real men. A manly man likes women, not other men. When a normal person thinks of a man and especially manly, gays aren't in the perception.
Bubba, go till the fields.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 37,387 times
What's funny is this thread is a discussion on 'manly' cities...seems like the topic can't get off of homosexuality.

Homosexuality is not what I think of when someone describes something that is masculine or manly. I have nothing against 'alternative lifestyles', but if you all mean 'manly' in that sense, then San Francisco comes to mind...

Seriously, I can't believe only a couple people said Detroit. Its definitely the most masculine city in my eyes. When I think of Detroit I think of the Pistons, Red Wings, Tigers and Joe Louis. I think of the Motor City, America's Poorest City, hard-times and blue-collar people.

I guarantee if you say 'Detroit', people don't think of gay bars, femininity, manicures and pedicures.

Last edited by MuddDG; 12-19-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or