U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM

395 posts, read 904,125 times

Advertisements

I really don't see why TX cities are more "manly"...it's mostly people not from TX saying this.

As someone who's been EVERYWHERE I would say the rust belt cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago are the "manliest' b/c they have the biggest ties to blue-collar good 'ol working class culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 AM

692 posts, read 2,419,982 times
Quote:
Sure there are lots of men in there, but are they "manly"? Thats the question
\

They are if you want them to be Steve

Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddDG View Post
What's funny is this thread is a discussion on 'manly' cities...seems like the topic can't get off of homosexuality.

Homosexuality is not what I think of when someone describes something that is masculine or manly. I have nothing against 'alternative lifestyles', but if you all mean 'manly' in that sense, then San Francisco comes to mind...

Seriously, I can't believe only a couple people said Detroit. Its definitely the most masculine city in my eyes. When I think of Detroit I think of the Pistons, Red Wings, Tigers and Joe Louis. I think of the Motor City, America's Poorest City, hard-times and blue-collar people.

I guarantee if you say 'Detroit', people don't think of gay bars, femininity, manicures and pedicures.
Almost the same can be said for Cleveland, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Rochester, Niagara Falls, etc.

To be honest with you, I think Buffalonians are the toughest. Buffalo's a dangerous city, it may not be as dangerous as Detroit, but dangerous is dangerous. It's the 2nd poorest city in the country, I drove around 2 blocks and counted 128 houses, 117 of which looked abandoned, the only city a team went to 4 straight Super Bowls and were let down every time, home of Buffalo wings, a town where the whole hockey season is sold out before the season even begins and they can't win a Stanley Cup, a town where workers are getting laid off every day, and the snowiest and windiest municipality in the country (especially in the dead of winter). The nicest people you'll ever meet. Business after business closing down... Gas prices the highest in the nation (along with the fact that it's the 2nd poorest city in the nation). Just a blue-collar, depressed, cold, frozen industrial city. Nicknamed the City of Good Neighbors, but also nicknamed the Forgotten City...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5e5...eature=related

Last edited by Futcha; 12-19-2008 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,748 times
So what I'm seeing is that a city is "manly" if it's economically depressed, formerly blue collar, up North, etc.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:08 AM

835 posts, read 2,083,723 times
Why are some people mentioning the South, the region who has always had a masculine culture, as feminine?

Are you talking about the cities (likely filled with transplants from the North) or in general?

Old 12-27-2008, 12:20 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,773,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Those aren't real men. A manly man likes women, not other men. When a normal person thinks of a man and especially manly, gays aren't in the perception.
HMMM coming from someone with a screen name like PETERRABBIT, I question your opinion on that. Wasn't the rabbit Peter Rabbit rather feminine looking? I always thought so!

Old 12-27-2008, 12:25 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,773,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
No, it's not. Homosexuals consider themselves feminine so how is that ignorant?
Not all homosexuals consider ourselves feminine. In fact, I see just as many feminine straight men as I do gay men!

Old 12-27-2008, 01:37 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
yes because everyone equates homosexuality to gay men

Old 12-27-2008, 03:35 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,201,193 times
Obviously I've never actually been to such an ubsurd place but I would think Fort Worth would be a manly city. The place were men's men wrestle steers just for kicks. and Kick steers just to wrestle! Mustaches flow like the plains drifting from the edipus of stoph that IS fort worth. Filled with blossom of Dallas boosom. Flossin b.

1 for FW STAND UP

edit: milwaukee. pittsburgh. fort mcmurray. tenochtitlan. revere beach. memphis. houston. fort worth.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:15 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
yes because everyone equates manly to gay men
typing error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or