Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times

Advertisements

Well it finally happened, we got a decent pix in Oil City.

Big time flood coming, looks like hurricane season in Florida.

Actually downtown areas looks pretty good, seems well maintained and clean.

http://www.thederrick.com/stories/03012007-4002.shtml (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,754 times
Haha it looks pretty cold there and ugly. Its Needs paradise because need needs a HUGE home for 50k. not happening

Need-- move to eastern europe and buy some huge crackhouse in sarajevo for 50k. it would be big and all yours

Old 03-01-2007, 07:47 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,248 times
Oh my! Possible flooding and flash floods are on the way. Yep a pictue of Oil City is there.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
He's gonna take that one little "compliment" about a well-maintained downtown and run with it.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:41 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
If I decide to live in Oil city, 95% of the houses are away from flood zones, many are on hills where its high and dry. I am saving up to visit Oil city and several other areas in the northeast

Old 03-02-2007, 12:22 AM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
If 95% of the city isn't a flood zone why would the city be a flood zone really? I'm either naive or stupid here...or someone else is.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,399 times
I seriously dont know why people think Oil City is that bad of a place, I have not been there but the pictures I have seen are very nice.

It looks like a beautiful area with tons of hills, trees and a nice river running through the town. I am sure a vast majority of the country would love to have the dramatic topography of Oil City and the architecture is very nice also.

Besides lots of cities are on rivers and people live in these cities also, I dont know what would make Oil City any different and the flooding problems can be solved by living on one of the beautiful hills thats full of trees over looking the trees in the valley. Must be a beautiful sight.

Also, Oil City is not far from Pittsburgh (metro area 2.5 million people), Erie, Buffalo or Cleveland.

People live in 110 degree weather in the summer just to be 2 hours from Los Angeles, so whats wrong with a beautiful area with a moderate climate that is with-in 2 hours from 3 big cities (Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Cleveland)

Old 03-02-2007, 02:52 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Positive reputation for you! You have some good points. I am dying to visit Oil city but cant till I have saved up enough money for that. Might have to wait till summer then. I will be about 3 hours from Toronto if I live in Oil city and my dad's cousins live there. My mom and dad used to live in Toronto but relocated to south FL and have no plans on going this far north or back to Toronto(also too expensive anyway)

The big cities have lots of crime so I dont want to be near them and I wont visit those cities often, only when they have something special like a festival, carnival or some major show. I can also visit after the holidays and snag tons of stuff for 50% to 75% off and make it a day trip(only if theres not too much snow to drive safely on the highway)

Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 AM

77 posts, read 473,895 times
Much of Oil City is built into the hillsides surrounding the Allegheny River. If flooding occurs, it is usually happens at the confluence of Oil Creek and the Allegheny. Before the Kinzua Dam was built (Warren), flooding was a real problem. Oil City has very little flatland.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:14 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default Ice broken on Oil City .......

Well now the ice is broken and the first real glossy photo has been seen of the fab Oil City, maybe we should ask what else is known about it?

There has been a history of flooding due to ice floes that builds dams. The Army Corp of Engineering did some projects to attempt to catch and hold the ice to prevent flooding in Oil City itself. In a flood zone it is always the 100 year or 50 year or 22 year floods that gets you, not the yearly lil deals.

Oil City is smack in the middle of Venango County which also has a history of flashing flooding.

Oil City has a history of being an industrial city and at one time maybe a fairly wealthy place. Hence some better build older structures. Lots of brick everywhere as is also common throughout western PA and eastern Ohio. That region was once home to a major World center of brick making as high quality clay was very cheap and available. For all types of clay products, pottery, brick, tiles, etc, etc. NAH may have an organism when he sees how much brick there is everywhere, including in many places streets made out of brick paving. Brick is common like dirt in the entire region.

The critical flaw being made by our friend NAH maybe in a misunderstand of what is exactly where. A bit of the same problem exhibited in Bluefield, WV.

Yes, there is over a hundred homes for sale. The bulk of those are in very dense areas both north and south of the river. Those areas tend to have houses with extremely small lots, many like .07 acres or something less than .1 acres. Your basic jammed together housing in conjested neighborhoods by modern standards. One critical feature might be the width of streets, difficult to tell without actually being there in person. But it does appear the bulk of the lower priced neighborhoods are very dense. Also difficult to tell if there is lots of elevation changes house to house, street to street.

There are more desirable neighborhoods with larger lots of probably newer homes on both sides of the river. To the north side that would be something like to the east of Oak Road, to the south side of the river that would be west of Innis Street.

Then you get to the critical question what does $50K actually buy you? Yup, something in the older dense neighborhoods. You probably have to go up to ~$70K to start to get the better stuff in the more desirable locations. Same as with Bluefield. To really get a house with some land and not be cheek to jowl with the fellows next door probably well above $100K.

Difficult to determine the exact condition of the housing stock from afar but it does not appear to be too bad. In general not a decaying town.

Like many such towns falling on harder times they try to reinvent themselves into something else. There is a fair sized prison in the general area that is a major employer. So you probably need to understand what factors can allow it to once again have some economic life. Lots of people of Eastern European decent as common thru out Western PA / Eastern Ohio. Lots of roots in the place.

I also think he misunderstands the location and mileage to other places. The actual road miles to bigger cities is probably over 100 miles one way. From my experience you usually want your trips to larger support areas to not be over 50 miles one way. There is basically one way out to get into the major freeway system. If not careful you might have ~250 - 300 miles on the odometer on a resupply trip. Buffalo and Cleveland would be a good day trip.

But all said, I do not see why it could not become Paradise. It should be about like many of the places in Ohio. The county seat or major town in a county serves as the magnet for all the surrounding countryside and acts to provide whatever government services required. If you live close to that center then it is a form of one stop shopping for most things required by the government or paperwork related. If enough general services are available and the place is peaceful enough and you can make a living, about all one can ask in today's World.

The longer this goes, the more I want to take a trip over there myself. It is not that often one gets to see a real Paradise naked and glistening in the sun. Yup might have a very nice fall season too, some parts of western PA are better than New England IMHO. Still that major burning question of Drive or Fly to Paradise.

PA does have auto inspections and is known in Ohio as being a far more regulation orientated state. They like their paper and petty rules.

Whatever food got to be cheaper than in Florida. What is with them folks down there??? It just should not be that expensive to get to Paradise. Does Greyhound go there??? We got to get the real scoop on this place. I suppose one might even be able to do a decent walking tour of the place in a few days. We need some pixs. Our best promise so far is summer. These schedules do have a way of slipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.