U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 PM

311 posts, read 454,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
How is New York the top city for the Outdoors?
OK let's see:
Central park is huge, lots of nature trails etc etc. central park is not the onlly park in the city either. lots of boating, sailing, beaches, high points, ice skating, horse back riding, etc etc etc.
I doubt they ranked it because of people walking to work/school/grocery/malls/etc or biking/rollerblading/skateboarding/etc etc everywhere you look, or the seperate bike lanes on the highways and streets and bridges, but they might have included that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,726,252 times
NYC tops the outdoors list and LA tops the "nightcrawlers" list? Wow.

I have a hard time believing LA has more nightlife happening than New York and Miami. And I also have a hard time believing that New York is more about the outdoors life than Seattle, Denver, Los Angeles, San Diego, and every other city in America.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,226,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This list is so bogus!
lol

i officially hate lists

Old 12-19-2008, 07:43 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,099,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
How the hell does LA, Las Vegas, Houston, and Atlanta make the top 10 list for bookworm cities? LOL
Yes, some of us in those cities do read.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,099,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Apparently by hosting more literary events than most of the other cities.
www.decaturbookfestival.com

Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 AM

Hosting book festivals does not make a city literate. I do not believe for a second that LA is more literate than Boston or San Francisco.

Here's the most literate cities list for 2007... Los Angeles being 53rd and Boston being 10th, Seattle 2nd, Minneapolis 1st, San Francisco 7th, DC 5th, NYC 28th.

If this source is not reliable enough for you, search it on google and the same list will come up everywhere.

The study's objective:
This study attempts to capture one critical index of our nation’s social health—the literacy of its major cities (population of 250,000 and above). The study focuses on six important indicators of literacy: newspaper circulation, number of bookstores, library resources, periodical publishing resources, educational attainment, and online resources. Because of the number and complexity of the variables, the variety of ways in which the resource data are gathered and presented, and the variability in the timeliness of the data, the ranking is necessarily an interpretation.
http://www.infoplease.com/us/cities/...-literate.html

Old 12-19-2008, 08:56 AM

311 posts, read 454,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly Jr View Post
OK let's see:
Central park is huge, lots of nature trails etc etc. central park is not the onlly park in the city either. lots of boating, sailing, beaches, high points, ice skating, horse back riding, etc etc etc.
I doubt they ranked it because of people walking to work/school/grocery/malls/etc or biking/rollerblading/skateboarding/etc etc everywhere you look, or the seperate bike lanes on the highways and streets and bridges, but they might have included that too.
sorry I just had to add... have you ever been to the Bronx? its full of out door activities. I think this list is very correct... NYC does not definitely not have too much night crawlers. oh yes there are lots stores open at night and people dont necessarily go to sleep at ten, but other than times square, there's no real "nighthlife" here so yeah, i agree with this list

Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
sorry I just had to add... have you ever been to the Bronx? its full of out door activities. I think this list is very correct... NYC does not definitely not have too much night crawlers. oh yes there are lots stores open at night and people dont necessarily go to sleep at ten, but other than times square, there's no real "nighthlife" here so yeah, i agree with this list
There's no real nightlife here or you just don't go out in it. You think Times Square is nightlife? You must be joking. Times Square is a tourist trap with neon lights and nothing more than that. I work in Times Square at a camera shop. Nightlife is about clubs, bars, dining, walking, martini drinking, exotic food-eating, comedy clubs, etc. New York City tops nightlife WITHOUT A DOUBT. If you ever walk around Greenwich Village, Soho, the LES, Chelsea, Gramercy Park, Clinton, Chinatown, Little Italy, etc. at night it may seem like not too many people are you, but if you walk in those "charming" buildings you'll see the nightlife. It's underground nightlife.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:38 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
Quote:
OK let's see:
sounds like any other city in the US. You can do all that in Denver plus skiing!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 AM

32,393 posts, read 55,232,782 times
Maybe by outdoors they mean events held in the outdoors? Like a foot race or a concert in the park or a artisan fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.