U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,146,493 times

Advertisements

people arent even considered american anymore in the US.. its where they are from in america.. a "New Yorker" is a 'New Yorker" like a "Texan" is a "Texan".

If you gather the personalities around you in the city you move in then you ar a " "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,522 times
Thank you for your replies, it sounds promising.

I have been to North Dakota, Minneapolis and Vegas by the way. I loved all these places for different reasons. I have an aunt and cousins in ND. My aunt runs her own business. If she hired me, would it be possible for me to get a workvisa-->greencard even though i would only do simple tasks? I don't really consider taking this route, i'm just curious. It would maybe not be so fun to be stuck in a small North Dakota town doing boring work for 5 years.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:03 PM

9,939 posts, read 21,203,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
Hello.
I'm a 22 year old swede.
I am in love with america and american culture.

Is it possible for me to become a real american? Or would i always be percepted as an outsider even though i'm white and speak decent english (with a weird accent)? What about my future kids?

I will probably get a PhD in statistics from a swedish university. Possibly a bachelor's degree in finance or economics too. Is there any need for people with that kind of educational background in America?

Thank you!
If you had a 2 year degree in economics you could have been Bush's treasury secretary

Old 12-20-2008, 05:02 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,939,522 times
Or our new presidents shoeshine boy !

Old 12-20-2008, 06:23 PM

311 posts, read 454,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
Hello.
I'm a 22 year old swede.
I am in love with america and american culture.

Is it possible for me to become a real american? Or would i always be percepted as an outsider even though i'm white and speak decent english (with a weird accent)? What about my future kids?

I will probably get a PhD in statistics from a swedish university. Possibly a bachelor's degree in finance or economics too. Is there any need for people with that kind of educational background in America?

Thank you!
Well, go ahead, why didn't you move in yet? lol!
we are all immigrents here in america, didn't you know that? George Washington, Ben Franklyn, they all emigrated here at one point in their family history.
I have immigrents in my family, but we are all proud to be Americans.
an "American" is anyone living in America. it's not really the place, but the idea.
"America is a state of mind"

Oh, and if you decide to come, welcome aboard!
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

Last edited by Marty McFly Jr; 12-20-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Oh, and if you decide to come, welcome aboard!

Old 12-20-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
people arent even considered american anymore in the US.. its where they are from in america.. a "New Yorker" is a 'New Yorker" like a "Texan" is a "Texan".

If you gather the personalities around you in the city you move in then you ar a " "
not true
4 Yo Kaitlyn Maher - America's Got Talent 2008 NYC Auditions - Video

are you from New York?
I'm from America

Old 12-20-2008, 06:43 PM

2,419 posts, read 7,791,158 times
It won't be easy to get a green card or work visa even though you have some relatives in the US. One of my work collegues is from a eastern european country, and she came to the US with her husband (who had accepted a University professor job in California) about 7 years ago. It took my work collegue about 5 years (while she was a legal US resident) to get a green card before she could go out and legally get a job! And she has a degree in engineering and strong prior job history in Czech. I don't mean to be negative, but don't underestimate the difficulty of getting a green card to work in the US.

It is just as difficult for a US citizen to go to a EU country and try to get a work permit. I spent 4 years living in Germany in the 1970s while serving in the US military during the cold war era. Much of that time was at remote military outposts along the former east-west border between Germany. I speak German quite well, and still have many good friends there who could serve as references. I know of a few places I might be able to get a job (telecom network engineering) if I could get legal work papers. But it just isn't that easy. The only reasonably quick way is via marriage to a citizen of the country you are trying to move to.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:52 PM

^^ there's a movie called "green card" I think. I watched it ages ago. you might want to see it for your situation it's relative. you might find it funny

Old 12-20-2008, 06:52 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,096,879 times
Accents are beautiful...don't worry about your accent...American accents vary regionally and significantly as well (and have changed over time -- eg, watch old movies from the 50s to see what I mean), so what's the big deal? As long as you do everything by the book immigration-wise and are a productive, tax-paying, law-abiding member of this society, you are most welcome here. I'm so glad to hear that a European is in love with our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.