U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:19 AM

350 posts, read 607,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Missouri is not France, not in the least bit...except for a few towns along the Mississippi. Missouri, like most of the Midwest, is pretty much like Germany, although portions of the Ozarks remind of the Scottish highlands. German ancestry dominates not only the Missouri, but the rest of the Midwest, including the Upper Midwest parts. As a whole population percentage, Germany wins out the whole Midwest (all 12 states) and parts of the Northeast. The South, with the exception of Louisiana, which is the only state in the country reminding me of France, is more or less quintessentially U.K. associated. The only exception to this is Florida, which is more or less associated with Spain (it's the closest I can come since it really is heavily Latin-American in nature.
I know most people in Missouri are of German ancestry, but it's not based on people ancestry that I made my choice (otherwise I'd have said that Massachusetts is like Ireland, New Jersey is like Italy and Hawaii is like Japan.

The shape of Missouri just reminds me France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 03:18 PM

22,119 posts, read 23,642,005 times
Pacific Northwest - UK. Similar climates, somewhat close demographics. Both are set apart in a way from the greater region (the rest of the US/continental Europe). Both seem pretty progressive in a lot of ways, but still churn in the money.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:09 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,119,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think the topography is similar and can cover most of the range from france/italy/spain... but the cultural differences are pretty strong. I can't say I experience a vibe like those countries in California but I have in Florida, Quebec, parts of the upper midwest and the upper northeast.
Could you elaborate some more?

Quebec is probably most like France culturally, for obvious reasons...but how exactly do you find places in the midwest and upper northeast to be more like Spain/Italy/France than California?

I would guess that California is one of the most culturally similar to Spain at least, due to the fact that tons of people speak Spanish, California used to be part of Spain, tons of places have Spanish names, there are old Spanish Missions all over the place etc. Those are just superficial similarities though...it's America, not Spain, and history + names don't mean much when it comes to how people in the present interact and live day-to-day.

Of course California is most similar to those countries in topography/climate though (well compared to the coastal Mediterranean and the alpine regions of those nations, at least).

Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,236,044 times
California, PNW- The Netherlands
Rockies- Switzerland
South- Italy
Southwest- Scandinavia with a desert
Northeast- the megalopolis of western germany
Midwest-the rest of Germany
Appalachia- Ural Mountains, Russia

Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,750,552 times
CA: Spain(Easily, it was part of Spain, and the architecture shows for it)/Greece/Italy, basically Southern Europe and the Mediterranean.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 AM

4,812 posts, read 4,993,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think the topography is similar and can cover most of the range from france/italy/spain... but the cultural differences are pretty strong. I can't say I experience a vibe like those countries in California but I have in Florida, Quebec, parts of the upper midwest and the upper northeast.
I think need to elaborate on how the upper midwest and upper northeast is culturally more like France/Italy/Spain than California.

I spent over a month in Southern France, and culturally we borrow a lot from them especially in Sacramento, Bay Area and the Central Coasts.

Our pace and connection to the land (agricultural, food and wine) is a huge part of California cultural as it is to Mediterranean cultures and lifestyles.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 PM

605 posts, read 1,235,017 times
Alaska and Pacific Northwest equals Scandinavia plus Iceland (based on topography and proximity to the ocean and culture)
California equals Spain, France, Italy and Greece (Mediterranean type culture and topography)
Colorado and inner mountain west equals switzerland
Northeast and upper Midwest equals Germany
Southeast and Appalachia equals Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria
Ohio and rust belt equals former Soviet Republics and Western Russia.

Off Topic but:

Florida equals Turkey LOL.
Mexico equals North African and Arab Countries.
Haiti equals Sub Saharan Africa.

Last edited by skihikeclimb; 10-31-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM

457 posts, read 436,927 times
New England is a mix of british, irish, italian, and portuguese influence along with french canadian influence farther north.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 AM

178 posts, read 349,480 times
Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Indiana = Great Britain, Rep. of Ireland, and Germany

Last edited by foreverdublin21; 08-09-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or