U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:57 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,704,865 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who actually lives in Toronto went to NYC for a few weeks and found most people there were noticeably friendlier than here.

The only thing that he didn't think was better in NYC was that they don't have any more greenspaces, urban gardens/trees than we do, perhaps less greenspaces.

Besides that, NYC is superior in all other aspects to Toronto in his opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 02:18 PM

34 posts, read 26,840 times
Nordics are just shy. Be friendly and they will warm up. And they won't stick a knife in your ribs and take your wallet either like some of the more "outgoing" groups.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:20 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,088,891 times
yeah like us coloreds who do, but we dont have many nordics here

Old 03-06-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Nordics are just shy. Be friendly and they will warm up. And they won't stick a knife in your ribs and take your wallet either like some of the more "outgoing" groups.
By blood, I'm like 50-90% Nordic (are Slavics counted as Nordics?) but I'm 0% shy.

Since I'm an outgoing mutt, I might stick a knife in your wallet and take your ribs...

Old 03-06-2007, 05:19 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,865,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
A friend of mine who actually lives in Toronto went to NYC for a few weeks and found most people there were noticeably friendlier than here.

The only thing that he didn't think was better in NYC was that they don't have any more greenspaces, urban gardens/trees than we do, perhaps less greenspaces.

Besides that, NYC is superior in all other aspects to Toronto in his opinion.
Haha. I've visited both Toronto and New York and have found that the people are more helpful in New York, I asked a few people on the street for directions in Toronto and got some blank stares and ignored, and in New York either got assistance or a terse "sorry, don't know" (which is a completely fair answer, if you don't know, you don't know, no use beating around the bush about it). Don't get me wrong, I like both cities, but I found the locals a bit nicer in New York than in Toronto.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:07 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,188,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
ha ha travelr,

i live in CC philly, man you have to spend time here. It is worse than what you describe. people are rude, nasty, dangerous and they will soon run over you that look you in the eye--maybe its because I am a professional black male and both sides(white and black poor) hate that.
Hi CarolinaJack

Nahhh, no thanks :>) Get plenty of that where I am (although I did like growing up in Philly).

I don't think people even see a person, let alone what color we are (in my case, the same color LOL, beings there's no diversity up here). Some broad up here gave me an emphatic finger one day turning around the corner - sans turn signal, of course, merely because I was, apparently, too far off the curb about to walk across. Junk like that is normal, though.

I may have said this in another thread, but you can go into the same business every other day for years and they act like they have never, ever seen you before and "why are you even bothering them?"

Grew up in a hood from which I could bike to CC on a nice day and worked on Market Street for 5 years. My best buds were Black (and gay :>). Went out to lunch every single day, went to dinners, parties. Those were fun days! My buds weren't uptight about anything. They led happy lives. And they weren't stuck up about anything. We left the miserable folk alone.

You have noticed that the northeast is kinda different than the South & towns like Chicago, though, right? I never did until I started traveling and living in other regions. More defensive, I think. I used to defend us when living in Florida, citing city stress, traffic, congestion, crime, bad sports teams.... But Chicago has always had this as well -- AND THE CUBBIES!

Some people will never know how to interact with others outside their little cliques, though. Heck, meet my family! Half don't talk to anybody! At all. For years. And when they ever did, it was only to badmouth the one(s) they're now fighting with, or starting new fights and insults

Everyone ever watch M*A*S*H*? I just realized recently how head-on they were with the characters and their hometowns.
See Charles Winchester/Boston (although Connecticut would have been even better suited for his persona); Henry Blake/Illinois; Radar/Iowa; The faaaar-left Hawkeye & BJ/ Coastal Maine & Cali (they loved and protected the prisoner-patient NKorean who went into attack-mode & tried to kill somebody in post-op, LOL); Sherm Potter/Missouri ...
Never knew where Houlihan's town was (as she was an "army brat" traveling with her dad her whole life), but I'd peg her for Philly if she'd have settled down instead.

So, to stay on topic, I'll have to add good ol' Connecticut to this list as well, although I'd only spent a couple of weeks there . But dealt with enough Connecticut folks down in Florida (dutifully earning their state the rap) to qualify them for this dubious honor as well, I guess. Sorry, Connecticut. It was pretty up there

Old 03-06-2007, 06:40 PM

2,849 posts, read 9,931,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Nordics are just shy. Be friendly and they will warm up. ...
I would say that Nordic people, maybe more specifically, Scandinavians, are reserved more than shy. Generally, North European sensibilities regard loud, brash and outwardly forward behavior as symptoms of lacking self control. Overt friendliness towards strangers or people you don't know well is taken as phony. The all too common greeting, "How are you?" is empty to Scandinavian types because unless you know someone well, she or he probably doesn't really care "how you're doing," so asking is kind of a waste of time. Besides, who wants to be phony?

That said, once you get to know them (Nordics, Scandinavians, North Europeans, perhaps even those of Baltic background), they are usually warm, generous and funny -- in that dry, North European kind of way.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 03-06-2007 at 06:55 PM..

Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
By blood, I'm like 50-90% Nordic (are Slavics counted as Nordics?) but I'm 0% shy.

Slavics, (or is the correct term "Slavs"?), from eastern and southern Europe, are not Nordic by geography, culture or language. Nordic is generally the north Germanic-language regions, including Iceland. Though not tied through language, the Baltic States and Finland are also considered Nordic. (The Finish language is related to Hungarian, strangely enough. It isn't remotely Germanic.)

Old 03-06-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Slavics, (or is the correct term "Slavs"?), from eastern and southern Europe, are not Nordic by geography, culture or language. Nordic is generally the north Germanic-language regions, including Iceland. Though not tied through language, the Baltic States and Finland are also considered Nordic. (The Finish language is related to Hungarian, strangely enough. It isn't remotely Germanic.)
Then I am 50% Nordic.

It's interesting that the relatives on the Nordic side don't usually have a whole lot to say to me, even though they know me very well. There is something there that could be likened to being reserved; haunting is more like it though. There's often plenty of strange, semi-uncomfortable silence when I'm around them. None of them ever seem to get particularly excited about anything.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Then I am 50% Nordic.

It's interesting that the relatives on the Nordic side don't usually have a whole lot to say to me, even though they know me very well. There is something there that could be likened to being reserved; haunting is more like it though. There's often plenty of strange, semi-uncomfortable silence when I'm around them. None of them ever seem to get particularly excited about anything.
Just curious, who is uncomfortable with the silence, you or them? It's a very apt description of Nordics to not appear "particularly excited about anything." That's a cultural thing. They have to warm up to the situation, but then they can get quite open, lose, even rowdy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or