U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,710,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Just curious, who is uncomfortable with the silence, you or them?

It's a very apt description of Nordics to not appear "particularly excited about anything." That's a cultural thing. They have to warm up to the situation, but then they can get quite open, lose, even rowdy.
Me, I seemed to have been born an extrovert. I have almost no reason or use for shyness or pretense; that takes away time and effort that could be using for entertainment. (hopefully mutual entertainment)

My relatives may have never come across as loose or rowdy. They know me yet much of the time I sense what might be a pleasant indiffernce towards me or even life in general. They don't act that way all the time, but most of the time that's the tone that comes across. Sometimes it seems boring but usually it's not quite.

My best way to describe it is still somewhat haunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 07:36 PM

2,849 posts, read 9,932,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Me, I seemed to have been born an extrovert. I have almost no reason or use for shyness or pretense; that takes away time and effort that could be using for entertainment. (hopefully mutual entertainment)

My relatives may have never come across as loose or rowdy. They know me yet much of the time I sense what might be a pleasant indiffernce towards me or even life in general. They don't act that way all the time, but most of the time that's the tone that comes across. Sometimes it seems boring but usually it's not quite.

My best way to describe it is still somewhat haunting.
I heard an interview once with one of the Monty Python members (sorry, don't remember which one), who had performed live in Stockholm, Sweden. The Monty Python performer thought he had royally bombed because the audience was so blahzea. After the show, however, dozens of people came up to him, all excited, shaking his hand and exclaiming what a funny show it was.

Don't know if this anecdote helps you understand your relatives, but quiet and reserved is a cultural thing with Norwegians, Swedes, Danes, Fins and Icelanders.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 03-06-2007 at 07:46 PM..

Old 03-06-2007, 07:48 PM
PPG

508 posts, read 1,318,792 times
Well in Pittsburgh people might be friendly but it doesn't mean they are your friends. Also you could be best friends with people and 2 yrs from now its like they never met you. I blame drug and alcohol use and the lack of knowledge of self for most of it. Finally If you want a nice woman dont come here. The females here act like they are playboy playmates or even movie stars, even though they have a 9th grade education and work at K-mart. Think Paris Hilton. Even unattractive overweight ladies swear they are too good. I blame that on the 100s of desperate men hitting on them daily and making them think they are super special. There's a lot of hate too, don't buy a nice car because everyone will hate you. Most people in inner-cities are struggling finacially so they even hate you for being able to afford a meal at McDonalds. Dont be fooled by the ear to ear smiles!!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:23 PM

23,638 posts, read 33,434,470 times
Did anybody mention the DC area? This is the coldest area i've ever been. people don't give a (you know) about anyone else. The coldness is mainly in NoVA and NW DC.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,361,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Did anybody mention the DC area? This is the coldest area i've ever been. people don't give a (you know) about anyone else. The coldness is mainly in NoVA and NW DC.
You beat me to it. I was just about to pipe in with a vote for the D.C. area. As I stated in another thread either in the Virginia or DC forum awhile back, people in the D.C. area almost seem to be personality-less, like these walking zombies lacking in common sense, basic manners and senses of humor. Riding the Metro into D.C. on most weekday mornings feels like a scene from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

Old 03-06-2007, 08:43 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,622,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
People in the D.C. area almost seem to be personality-less, like these walking zombies lacking in common sense, basic manners and senses of humor. Riding the Metro into D.C. on most weekday mornings feels like a scene from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".
H,mmm maybe there are more government workers riding the Metro than we have been led to believe.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:28 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,710,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I heard an interview once with one of the Monty Python members (sorry, don't remember which one), who had performed live in Stockholm, Sweden. The Monty Python performer thought he had royally bombed because the audience was so blahzea. After the show, however, dozens of people came up to him, all excited, shaking his hand and exclaiming what a funny show it was.

Don't know if this anecdote helps you understand your relatives, but quiet and reserved is a cultural thing with Norwegians, Swedes, Danes, Fins and Icelanders.
I don't think I'll ever quite understand, but that does help a bit. Thanks.

BTW that was a very interesting story.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,761,570 times
I think 'perceptions' get in the way of being friendly. Go to NY and expect the people to be nasty and overall you get pleasantly surprised. (I live in suburban NY and you get all types--nice, friendly, nasty, clingy..)

Move to somewhere 'less hurried' from somewhere 'considered rude' and you get an attitude or stares.

For example, I've posted this before. We're from NY, we moved to outside Harrisburg, PA. People assumed we were nasty because we were from NY!! We were only spoken to one time by another couple when this guy needed my husband's help to carry something.

Finally, if you see people as cold..what are you expecting? I know the next time I move I am joining things, volunteering and making an effort to meet like minded people. You can find nice people every place if find someone with the same interests/hobbies.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,189,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Finally, if you see people as cold..what are you expecting?
When you greet somebody, for them to at least nod or smile or something? A quick "HI" back wouldn't be so bad.
I'm pretty upbeat, though, so perhaps I do expect too much. But it was fine in about every other town I've lived in. Feel like I stepped off of Capt Kirk's ship or something here.

I'm serious about this town, though. This is one little town where the collective attitude on the whole is just blah.
We patronize businesses in neighboring ones and it's like a different planet!

Walk in someplace and say Hi" here and you get "Yes or Can I help you." (or nothing) for example (by the way, yes what?) I've only found exceptions in some corporate chain businesses/transplants. Forget the smaller, privately owned ones.

Other towns, they'll actually say "Hi" back to you -- when they don't beat you to it, that is. And you could be walking in there for the first time! I understand that businesses have to deal with grumpy people and get tired and, perhaps, immune to it. But why not give a person in a pleasant mood a break now & then?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:18 PM

653 posts, read 3,132,971 times
Appleton, Wisconsin. Cold People. Cold Weather. Depressing city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or