U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:39 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,529,520 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love the speech accent archive. The website shows a broader ethnic and international view of English speakers. Even though I'm studying vocal music, I have taken some classes in audiology and I it's really interesting.speech accent archive: browse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 11:40 AM

4,455 posts, read 7,520,622 times
I always love this topic. Thanks for posting the link, Scott Summers.

Someone noted how they can't discern the Baltimore accent from neutral speech, but I think it is most notable through shifting of vowels. This is strikingly similar to the Philly accent but a little different with some pronunciation. Both are pretty unique, though, and you definitely know then when you hear them.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
The Philly and some MD accents are extremely similar but not quite the same. However, the Bmore accent is so distinctive it stands out like a sore thumb. You can discern the distance a person is from Baltimore by how the accent shifts from what I like to call the "Dundalk-Essex" standard.
that's funny, because i'm from the north and I can't tell the difference between Baltimore and Philly accents lol.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,995,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
that's funny, because i'm from the north and I can't tell the difference between Baltimore and Philly accents lol.
Really?! To my ears, the Baltimore accent is one of the strongest most distinctive accents in the country. The only one more so is Cajun. I've met some folks from down that way that I seriously could not understand. lol

Old 12-22-2008, 12:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Quote:
Really?! To my ears, the Baltimore accent is one of the strongest most distinctive accents in the country. The only one more so is Cajun. I've met some folks from down that way that I seriously could not understand. lol

Do you think Baltimore accents are more distinctive than NY? Some of my friends at college in Maine couldn't always understand me because of my accent lol.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,995,779 times
Quote:
Do you think Baltimore accents are more distinctive than NY? Some of my friends at college in Maine couldn't always understand me because of my accent lol.
Yes I do, but that may have more to do with media saturation than actual deviation from standard American English pronunciation. I've just heard a lot of the NY accent variations on TV so perhaps I'm just more accustomed to it. The first time I heard someone with the strong Bmore speak I was like, "What freaking planet are you from?!?!" That's an accent you don't often hear either on TV or really anywhere unless you go to Bmore I guess.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,208,147 times
Quote:
Yes I do, but that may have more to do with media saturation than actual deviation from standard American English pronunciation. I've just heard a lot of the NY accent variations on TV so perhaps I'm just more accustomed to it. The first time I heard someone with the strong Bmore speak I was like, "What freaking planet are you from?!?!" That's an accent you don't often hear either on TV or really anywhere unless you go to Bmore I guess.
a while back, a woman from b'more was on howard stern and he kept pointing out her accent lol

Old 12-22-2008, 05:21 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
I listened to the Oklahoma soundbites and the typical South-Central twang was there. I agree with one of the other posters that noted that Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas sound virtually the same.....pretty twangy. The only exception being, parts of eastern Texas and east Arkansas will get a tad "drawly" as in the Deep South.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:52 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,922,278 times
Quote:
I agree with you about the NY accent being so common and easy to point out (along with Boston/New England and Nawlins). I have heard the Philly accent (couple friends from there) but I probably wouldn't know the Baltimore accent if it hit me in the face, got a link?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:06 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,922,278 times
Quote:
Never notice a difference. When you're from a different area, it will generally all sound the same. That's why most of us can't distinguish different accents in the UK. Those from the UK will tell us there's maybe 5 different accents, but we all just hear one general accent. Just because you can't distinguish accents state by state doesn't mean you're less intelligent. I travel constantly and don't know the difference between a VA and TX accent.
That's true, good points. I live in the South and the only accent I can point out is the New Orleans and Cajun dialects. I went to school with some dude from Chapel Hill, NC and this guy did sounded like he was from Scotland or something but his family is has been here for generations. People from the UK all sound similar to me so I can't complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or