U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:02 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I listened to the Oklahoma soundbites and the typical South-Central twang was there. I agree with one of the other posters that noted that Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas sound virtually the same.....pretty twangy. The only exception being, parts of eastern Texas and east Arkansas will get a tad "drawly" as in the Deep South.
I agree totally with my good friend, Bass&Catfish, on this one. That is, the general "twangy" quality that western Southerners have to their (our) dialects. At the same time, as he also noted, parts of East Texas and delta area Arkansas, are not much different from that drawl most associated with the "Deep South."

It all reflects settlement patterns. There is a very strong kinship, linguistically speaking, between the accent of east Tenneesee, far north Alabama, and rural West Texas and southern Oklahoma. At the same time, in parts of East Texas (and far SE Oklahoma and delta Arkansas...especially among older folk) one wouldn't kinow they were not in Mississippi.

This is broadly speaking, of course. Contrary to what many non-Southerners believe, there is no such thing as a single "Southern accent." Rather, it is, collectively, made up of many "sub-dialects" which are spoken across the Old Confederate and border Southern states. They vary greatly...but at the same time, share certain common features of dialect and idiom (particularly idiom, in fact) that distinguish them -- among both natives and those outside the region -- as being "Southern."

Does that make sense?

Personally, I am PROUD of mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 12:57 AM

835 posts, read 2,083,880 times
Not always, but sometimes, even I (a native born Southerner) have trouble hearing differences in Southern accents. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm listening to the actual voice and not the accent so much.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:40 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,136,377 times
i know im from Newark, nj.
i have that accent, hah its very strong.

but you can actually tell the dif if sum1 is from nyc and sum1 is from jersey city or newark. The nyc seems more articulate than Newark and Jersey City accents. now i would say the Brooklyn accent is diffrent from say the manhattan accent. Brooklyn has that simaler accent to Stantent island, Jersey City and Newark.
The other 3 boros of nyc are distinctively dif from SI, BK, JC and NK

Old 12-27-2008, 01:24 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
I think it would be fun if we posted ourselves saying that. Just a little background info: Born in NYC (Queens), as a little kid I moved to Long Island, just outside the city. Here's mine:

YouTube - Rach84's QuickCapture Video - December 27, 2008, 12:14 PM

Old 12-27-2008, 01:52 PM

85 posts, read 237,897 times
Most New Jerisans don't talk with the "dawg", "tawk" accent. Out of 15 years of living in North and Central Jersey I've never heard anyone say "joisey". People would look at you if you were crazy if you said that. A lot of people that live in Jersey aren't even from there originally or even the U.S. When I lived there I had from Mexico, Guatamala, Ghana, China, Korea, India, Great Britain, Italy and much more. Jersey accents are much more sublte than they are made out to be and only about 5% if the population has that stereotypical Jersey accent.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:01 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I agree totally with my good friend, Bass&Catfish, on this one. That is, the general "twangy" quality that western Southerners have to their (our) dialects. At the same time, as he also noted, parts of East Texas and delta area Arkansas, are not much different from that drawl most associated with the "Deep South."

It all reflects settlement patterns. There is a very strong kinship, linguistically speaking, between the accent of east Tenneesee, far north Alabama, and rural West Texas and southern Oklahoma. At the same time, in parts of East Texas (and far SE Oklahoma and delta Arkansas...especially among older folk) one wouldn't kinow they were not in Mississippi.

This is broadly speaking, of course. Contrary to what many non-Southerners believe, there is no such thing as a single "Southern accent." Rather, it is, collectively, made up of many "sub-dialects" which are spoken across the Old Confederate and border Southern states. They vary greatly...but at the same time, share certain common features of dialect and idiom (particularly idiom, in fact) that distinguish them -- among both natives and those outside the region -- as being "Southern."

Does that make sense?

Personally, I am PROUD of mine!
Amen to that Brother!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:20 PM

109 posts, read 408,484 times
I'm from north dakota!! i don't have an accent, don'cha know!!!

oh, ya betcha! i have as much as an accent as those people from florida who ride in those boats!

^_^

PS: i have a north dakotan accent

Old 12-28-2008, 10:48 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,922,278 times
Alright, I read that "Please call Stella" story over the web-cam and put it on YouTube. My background information: Born and raised in Atlanta, GA, moved to TN some years ago and back in Atlanta now. Enjoy or loathe.
YouTube-Scott Summers' (aka BravoFan) HP dialect video. (Y'all may need to turn the volume up).

Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM

311 posts, read 453,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Do you think Baltimore accents are more distinctive than NY? Some of my friends at college in Maine couldn't always understand me because of my accent lol.
does ny have an accent?
I kept listening to it to see if there's anything distinguished about it... none.
I mean, the new york of yesteryear has an accent (like the newsies boys who talk like my grandpa lol) but that's old people speak. nowadays, ny accent is not at all different than regular english...?
(BTW I am very not well traveled)

Old 12-28-2008, 11:47 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFly Jr View Post
does ny have an accent?
I kept listening to it to see if there's anything distinguished about it... none.
I mean, the new york of yesteryear has an accent (like the newsies boys who talk like my grandpa lol) but that's old people speak. nowadays, ny accent is not at all different than regular english...?
(BTW I am very not well traveled)

Apparently it's different from the rest of accents. You can ask others what's different about it. I can't say that much about it since I'm told I have one, lol. But I do say talk as "tawk" and dog as "dawg." It's just instinct to me. I don't think about how I talk, but I know I say those 2 things different than most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or