U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times

Advertisements

Hearing the Oklahoma clips makes me wonder why many people don't consider Oklahoma as a Southern state. I live in TN, my dad is from Oklahoma, i cant hear much a difference between accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Hearing the Oklahoma clips makes me wonder why many people don't consider Oklahoma as a Southern state. I live in TN, my dad is from Oklahoma, i cant hear much a difference between accents.
Right on!

Oklahoma is a culturally (speech, faith, food, activities/hobbies) Southern in every way. IMHO, the only thing that confuses a lot of people not from Oklahoma is that it is geographically slightly removed from the states in the South that are unquestionably Southern. (Of course, even then that could be argued because the vast majority of Oklahoma lies below the Mason-Dixon.)

I firmly believe that the designation that my good 'ol friend from Texas---TexasReb---implements in this regard is quite helpful: there is an obvious Eastern South (i.e. the majority of the Deep South) and an obvious Western South (i.e. Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and perhaps even the northern part of Louisiana).

Either way, you make a very good point.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Right on!

Oklahoma is a culturally (speech, faith, food, activities/hobbies) Southern in every way. IMHO, the only thing that confuses a lot of people not from Oklahoma is that it is geographically slightly removed from the states in the South that are unquestionably Southern. (Of course, even then that could be argued because the vast majority of Oklahoma lies below the Mason-Dixon.)

I firmly believe that the designation that my good 'ol friend from Texas---TexasReb---implements in this regard is quite helpful: there is an obvious Eastern South (i.e. the majority of the Deep South) and an obvious Western South (i.e. Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and perhaps even the northern part of Louisiana).

Yeah, when i ask people why they think Oklahoma isn't Southern, they say "because it's Western" It's funny because I went to Nashville this weekend and saw so many "Western" bars & stores and a lot of people were wearing cowboy boots & hats. Nashville seemed very Western or at least trying to be so. This is evidence of the cultural exchange from the Western South and the Eastern South. In the end, it's all the South

Old 01-01-2009, 02:23 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Right on!

Quote:
SMTCHLL wrote: Yeah, when i ask people why they think Oklahoma isn't Southern, they say "because it's Western" It's funny because I went to Nashville this weekend and saw so many "Western" bars & stores and a lot of people were wearing cowboy boots & hats. Nashville seemed very Western or at least trying to be so. This is evidence of the cultural exchange from the Western South and the Eastern South. In the end, it's all the South
Reps to both y'all...especially for the bolded statements! Y'all make the same excellent point from different perspectives, which makes the whole point all the more relevant and true!

Now then, hope y'all are both enjoying the black-eyed peas today. I sure am!

Old 01-01-2009, 02:29 PM

^ Haha, I just ate some black eyes peas

Old 01-01-2009, 04:44 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
I had me some black eyed peas, country ham and greens I wanna make sure I'm REAL lucky this year

Old 01-01-2009, 05:40 PM

4,896 posts, read 7,655,626 times
What, you guys don't eat sauerkraut and pork on New Years day down south (and south west)?

Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Reps to both y'all...especially for the bolded statements! Y'all make the same excellent point from different perspectives, which makes the whole point all the more relevant and true!

Now then, hope y'all are both enjoying the black-eyed peas today. I sure am!
LOL, you know I already got that one taken care of my 'ol Friend. Matter of fact, I had black-eyed peas twice today: for lunch I mixed some of our white turkey meat from our Christmas dinner into a bowl of black-eyed peas and seasoned it with Tony Chacheres (Dang, it was good!). Then the wife just served some up with the BBQ chicken we grilled tonight for some neighbors. Gotta love those black-eyed peas.

And by the way, Blessings and Happy New Year to Ya'll.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:46 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,865,814 times
I've never had black-eyed peas, but I've always heard that was a New Year's tradition. In my family, the traditional New Years day meal is pizza.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,042 times
Raise your voice really high, talk fairly fast, but emphasize "like" when you read the statement below and you will get a Californian accent:

"So like when are we going to go like shopping on the Promenade today? I am like so totally looking for a new slutty bikini that I can like wear to the beach tomorrow and be like so hot. It will be so totally like fabulous!"

Sorry, I couldn't help it. The vast majority of Californians don't talk like this, but I heard somebody talking like this behind me at the Rose Parade and it really made me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or