U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose???
Houston 17 11.41%
Dallas 7 4.70%
Atlanta 12 8.05%
Miami 20 13.42%
Orlando 3 2.01%
New Orleans 6 4.03%
Austin 18 12.08%
Charlotte 17 11.41%
Charleston 18 12.08%
I'd rather die..... 31 20.81%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:46 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,389,035 times

Advertisements

I would go back to the Miami area. Its the only place that is warm all year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 12:48 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,389,035 times
NOLA is on the list? ahh ok then I might go there too. Love NOLA!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:25 PM

30,204 posts, read 67,358,468 times
I have to agree that it's very immature that so many are voting "I'd rather die." How callous and cruel. However, as kidyankee said it's NOT fair to assume that these are purely Northeasterners voting, as this poll is not a public one, so we can't weed out the outliers who voted for that option (i.e. people from the North who now live in the South and hate the south, people who have always lived in the South and hate it there, people from CA with sadistic minds, etc.)

I'd consider living in Charleston, Richmond, Savannah, New Orleans, or Atlanta---all cities that offer at least SOME semblance of a walkable atmosphere (even if Atlanta is still trying to improve in that category). You'd never catch me in a place like Cary, NC, Apex, NC, Lake Norman, NC, Tega Cay, SC, Acworth, GA, Olive Branch, MS, etc. because those are just sterile, bland places that people move to because they want to be homogenized and isolate their families from the poorer folks and the minorities in the inner cities as they hop in their SUVs to drive to the Applebee's a mile away. For me the Northeast just affords me more options to live in a dense walkable neighborhood than you'd be able to find in the South. Atlanta has been impressing me with doing a lot of infill projects to help improve its density (for a city to have only about 10% of its multi-million metropolitan population should be an EMBARRASSMENT!) New Orleans will always have a place in my heart, even after it eventually sinks into the ocean and becomes Atlantis. Savannah, Charleston, and Richmond just ooze history and charm from every pore. People can take Raleigh, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Orlando, and other sprawly cities and shove 'em!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:16 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,053,875 times
Even with the rampant crime and hurricane history, New Orleans by a long shot. None of the other larger cities have the character or history New Orleans offers. Now for smaller cities, I would go with Charleston, Savannah, Ashville, NC, or Key West.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:59 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
It is pretty pathetic that 20 people have said they would rather die, however if the poll were reversed, I think many Southerners would pick I would rather die than live in a Northeastern city, even if that poll was done before this one came up. Just another sad way our country remanins divided.
I do agree with that part in the bold print. I'm not trying to be some internet tough guy but I think that if a person choose death over living in a certain region...you're crazy and not all there. (disregard what I said if you're not crazy/sick). I'd say that to a Southerner too.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times
Probably Atlanta.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:16 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,208,846 times
It's not the fact that there is, in fact, a "I'd rather die" option, but rather that the people who voted for that option are likely serious, and would probably elect to be burned alive and dismembered before living an inch below the Mason-Dixon Line. Is the South that freaking bad?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:16 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,879,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
It's not the fact that there is, in fact, a "I'd rather die" option, but rather that the people who voted for that option are likely serious, and would probably elect to be burned alive and dismembered before living an inch below the Mason-Dixon Line. Is the South that freaking bad?
In the eyes of a non progressive, backwards and "it is still the civil war" Northerner? Yes, it is. Thankfully, the vast majority of Northerners are not closeminded like the ones that voted that way. As an original Northerner, i know I am not like that.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,752,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Yes, my experience in Arkansas was that freaking bad.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:01 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,423,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
"it is still the civil war" Northerner? Yes, it is.
Youre joking, right? NOONE up here gives a remote crap about the Civil War, unlike TONS of people from down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.