U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city would you choose???
Houston 17 11.41%
Dallas 7 4.70%
Atlanta 12 8.05%
Miami 20 13.42%
Orlando 3 2.01%
New Orleans 6 4.03%
Austin 18 12.08%
Charlotte 17 11.41%
Charleston 18 12.08%
I'd rather die..... 31 20.81%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2008, 08:39 AM
 
Location: 32°19'03.7"N 106°43'55.9"W
8,115 posts, read 17,335,259 times
Reputation: 7287

Advertisements

I've been to all of these, with the exception of Austin. The only two I COULDN'T do are both in Florida. New Orleans proper is fine, as long as you are not in the 9th ward or Elysian Fields. I could easily live on Canal St and St Charles, both very beautiful areas. These neighborhoods ooze with charm.


However, I think the SUBURBS of most of these cities are where northerners (including myself) begin to bark. Because most of these places were formulated post "Ambler v Euclid" which is to say, there is hierarchal zoning present. Residentials don't mix with retail, or industrial. This lends itself to a 'cookie cutter' mentality. Most places along the Boston-D.C. corridor pre-date these trappings, and you are more likely to see a more human scale environment, versus one that is completely dominated by motor vehicles.

With that editorial out of the way, it is quite predictable that I chose Charleston SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 AM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,210,316 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
There are other parts of the south people!
You're right. There's plenty to choose from... sundown town Mississippi...the hurricane prone/crime ridden city of New Orleans...the dirt poor Appalachian foothills...the sprawly mess known as Atlanta...third world-esque Southern Florida...hot N dry Texas...ALL of Alabama...

Of course I know the South has nice places but it's easy to concoct a negative image of the South because that's how people perceive the South to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Floribama
15,032 posts, read 31,417,551 times
Reputation: 13842
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
It is pretty pathetic that 20 people have said they would rather die, however if the poll were reversed, I think many Southerners would pick I would rather die than live in a Northeastern city, even if that poll was done before this one came up. Just another sad way our country remanins divided.
You're right. I have been to NYC, and while I wouldn't choose death, I'd be very unhappy if I were forced to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 09:28 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,580,201 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You're right. There's plenty to choose from... sundown town Mississippi...the hurricane prone/crime ridden city of New Orleans...the dirt poor Appalachian foothills...the sprawly mess known as Atlanta...third world-esque Southern Florida...hot N dry Texas...ALL of Alabama...

Of course I know the South has nice places but it's easy to concoct a negative image of the South because that's how people perceive the South to be.
Yes there are bigger swaths of areas that aren't too great, but there are some real gems worth living in and you would never know the rest of it is going on. I could say the same about many areas and ghettos of the north...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Floribama
15,032 posts, read 31,417,551 times
Reputation: 13842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You're right. There's plenty to choose from... sundown town Mississippi...the hurricane prone/crime ridden city of New Orleans...the dirt poor Appalachian foothills...the sprawly mess known as Atlanta...third world-esque Southern Florida...hot N dry Texas...ALL of Alabama...

Of course I know the South has nice places but it's easy to concoct a negative image of the South because that's how people perceive the South to be.
Have you ever even been to Alabama ? I think you'd be surprised to find out that there's not much of a difference between Alabama and Indiana besides an accent. Well, we do have more pine trees, whereas you have more corn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,806,689 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Have you ever even been to Alabama ? I think you'd be surprised to find out that there's not much of a difference between Alabama and Indiana besides an accent. Well, we do have more pine trees, whereas you have more corn.
I've been to both. The level of rural poverty is one difference. Rural 'Bama is visably poorer than rural Indiana. Religious culture is another. While there's no shortage of evangelicals in Indiana, mainstream protestants and Catholics are much more present here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 AM
 
222 posts, read 632,670 times
Reputation: 91
As I am one of the 9000+ that moved from upstate NY to Charlotte, NC. I would pick Miami if I didn't have children, and had money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Floribama
15,032 posts, read 31,417,551 times
Reputation: 13842
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I've been to both. The level of rural poverty is one difference. Rural 'Bama is visably poorer than rural Indiana. Religious culture is another. While there's no shortage of evangelicals in Indiana, mainstream protestants and Catholics are much more present here.
If you say so. The people I know that have moved here from Indy have told me otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,337,426 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Of course I know the South has nice places but it's easy to concoct a negative image of the South because that's how people perceive the South to be.
Usually by people who haven't visited (or who have only traveled the South via I-95) and automatically think "Deliverance" when they think of the South. I wish I had a nickel for the times I've heard Northerners look dumbstruck when they see what all Charlotte has to offer. I mean, seriously, what era are they living in? But amongst the vast majority of people, that perception has changed drastically. All one has to do is look at the in-migration numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,958,696 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
+1

Bingo.You hit the nail on the head. Id love to visit NYC or Chicago other other places like that...but I never, ever want to live there.

I prefer to keep my chicken-fried butt behind the Mason Dixon line where it belongs, thankyouverymuch.

From what Ive noticed, for many of us that were born here, the South always seems to call us back home at some point in our lives.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top