Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose???
Houston 17 11.41%
Dallas 7 4.70%
Atlanta 12 8.05%
Miami 20 13.42%
Orlando 3 2.01%
New Orleans 6 4.03%
Austin 18 12.08%
Charlotte 17 11.41%
Charleston 18 12.08%
I'd rather die..... 31 20.81%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:00 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Have you ever even been to Alabama ? I think you'd be surprised to find out that there's not much of a difference between Alabama and Indiana besides an accent. Well, we do have more pine trees, whereas you have more corn.
Actually, I have been to Alabama (Black Belt) and it was SO MUCH LIKE Mississippi it wasn't even funny. What does 'Bama have in common with Indiana, besides the poor race relations? It's flat and cold here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 10:19 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Actually, I have been to Alabama (Black Belt) and it was SO MUCH LIKE Mississippi it wasn't even funny.
The Black Belt is the most economically depressed part of the state. I mean come on, you should at least acknowledge that. The major population centers of the state--Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Montgomery--have much going for them. Alabama's got its problems, but it doesn't get the credit it deserves either.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:46 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Charlotte.. wouldnt do it though.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times
Either Houston or Austin from that list. I'd like to go to Dallas, but I'm not sure if I could survive being around Cowboys fans :P

I'm in NOLA right now, and I like it, but I couldn't live here.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:37 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
I voted that i would rather die. I don't actually mean i would rather die......rather that i wouldn't want to live in any of those cities. I like Charleston, but it's too damn hot there. I also don't like really large sprawled-out, cookie-cutter cities. I like the weather, trees, landscape, architecture, amenities, history, etc that the Great Lakes and Northeast offer.

As for the north/south debate and southerners not wanting to move north, i'm sure that many southerners haven't been to most of the north...............i get the feeling that a lot of people down there think we are all rude or that it's freezing cold or that our cities are dying. I think if some of these people actually went and visited areas outside of NYC, Philly, etc. they might actually like it.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:42 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I voted that i would rather die. I don't actually mean i would rather die......rather that i wouldn't want to live in any of those cities. I like Charleston, but it's too damn hot there. I also don't like really large sprawled-out, cookie-cutter cities. I like the weather, trees, landscape, architecture, amenities, history, etc that the Great Lakes and Northeast offer.

As for the north/south debate and southerners not wanting to move north, i'm sure that many southerners haven't been to most of the north...............i get the feeling that a lot of people down there think we are all rude or that it's freezing cold or that our cities are dying. I think if some of these people actually went and visited areas outside of NYC, Philly, etc. they might actually like it.
I think so too. Many of the cities and suburbs in the north are unmatched.

The same can be said for northerners regarding the south, too.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:54 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Oh, i agree that many Northerners haven't been to many areas of the south other than beach areas or Florida, maybe Atlanta............but didn't mention it because it had already been mentioned in this thread. People from both regions need to visit outside the tourist areas on both sides of the mason-dixon line.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:36 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Oh, i agree that many Northerners haven't been to many areas of the south other than beach areas or Florida, maybe Atlanta............but didn't mention it because it had already been mentioned in this thread. People from both regions need to visit outside the tourist areas on both sides of the mason-dixon line.
I agree with both you and Kidyankee764 about this North/South problem. I think people just need to plan their vacation in other regions (if they can afford it), befriend people from different regions; it'd be good if both sides can stop these dumb stereotypes and generalizations of the other parts before they come up with their conclusion. I'm not one of these "I'm so open-minded" fakers but I do see pleasant places in every region (because good exist in all places).

Old 12-25-2008, 10:33 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:

You mean you think southerners have false perceptions and stereotypical images of your area of the country? No way! It's a good thing people like you don't have those silly perceptions and images:

Quote:
I also don't like really large sprawled-out, cookie-cutter cities. I like the weather, trees, landscape, architecture, amenities, history, etc that the Great Lakes and Northeast offer.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I'm surprised by the amount of people who chose Houston, especially it being in Texas. I though the top choices would be Miami and Atlanta since they both bring in large amounts of northeners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.