U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you consider to be the cultural hub of the West Coast??
Los Angeles 63 64.95%
San Francisco 39 40.21%
Portland 2 2.06%
San Diego 2 2.06%
Denver 3 3.09%
Seattle 12 12.37%
Las Vegas (LOL) 2 2.06%
Other 1 1.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:27 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I hate LA, but it is LA. SF has more refined culture, but LA is the second most important city in the US.
To the guy that claimed Boston College is better than Stanford- what is he smoking???
Stanford is most definitely the "Harvard of the West." It's probably the fourth-best university in our nation behind Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 01:44 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,445,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So there's obviously a lot of Los Angeles posters in here beating their chests and wetting their pants over this, yet not one has thoroughly convinced me yet as to why L.A. beats out the Bay Area in terms of being a cultural hub. I'd love to see a side-by-side breakdown of this. Greater Frisco has a Federal Reserve Bank, Golden Gate Bridge, Silicon Valley, etc. Greater L.A. has Hollywood, beaches, Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc. To me it's a draw.
Where are you getting that from? There is one, maybe two, posters in here from LA and no one is "beating their chest or wetting their pants" over anything.

What does a federal reserve bank have to do with being a cultural hub btw?? Does that make Kansas City and Richmond, VA cultural hubs too for their regions?

LA has everything SF has and more, the city is over 5X larger than SF and the metro region about 2.5X larger than the Bay Area. I really think some people try to make SF and the Bay Area seem more important and influential that it actually is. LA has a bigger international presence than SF as well. Even though SV is very influential with technology, music, movies, and TV have been more influential for a longer amount of time.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:56 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,295,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So there's obviously a lot of Los Angeles posters in here beating their chests and wetting their pants over this, yet not one has thoroughly convinced me yet as to why L.A. beats out the Bay Area in terms of being a cultural hub. I'd love to see a side-by-side breakdown of this. Greater Frisco has a Federal Reserve Bank, Golden Gate Bridge, Silicon Valley, etc. Greater L.A. has Hollywood, beaches, Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc. To me it's a draw.
Honestly, the West is too large of a region for a city to dominate the culture of the region. Each major metropolitan area is so isolated from other metropolitan areas that the culture tends to be unique in each city. Los Angeles is the most important city in the region in my opinion, but each city in the West is very spread out from each other so a unique culture develops. Even on the East Coast where NYC is the hub, that culture dominates starts to dwindle as you head south into areas like North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, etc.... It is easier for NYC to be a cultural hub when there are numerous major cities within 300 miles. Good luck finding numerous major cities within 300 miles of anything in the West.

Just look at how spread out the West is:

Driving distance Los Angeles to San Francisco: 382 miles
Los Angeles to Denver: 1,019 miles!!
Los Angeles to Seattle: 1,138 miles
San Francisco to Denver: 1,266 miles!!
San Francisco to Phoneix: 752 miles
Denver to Seattle: 1,331 miles!
Portland to Phoenix: 1,333 miles

To show a comparison from NYC of West Coast type distances:
New York City to Atlanta: 885 miles
New York City to New Orleans: 1,299 miles
NYC to Chicago: 773 miles
NYC to St. Louis: 955 miles
NYC to Miami: 1,269 miles
NYC to Minneapolis: 1,206 miles

The fact is, the West Coast is a very spread out place. The vast majority is rural, with major metropolitan bubbles that are isolated from other major cities by vast spaces of nature. The eastern portion of the US is much more compacted and it is easier to have the cultural dominance of one city spread throughout. Just look at the Northeast specifically. In 450 miles you have a list of major cities. In the West, you might have two major cities within 450 miles if you are lucky.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,881,677 times
San Francisco is only important these days because it is near Silicon Valley, otherwise Frisco is nothing more than a touristy place that lost relevence about 20 yrs ago. LA is the cultural hub of the west for better or for worse, but I think Seattle is close also.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,845,614 times
Seattle isn't close at all. It doesn't touch SF or LA.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,580,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I wouldn't say that. San Francisco has some things that LA doesn't (for example, a Federal Reserve Bank...not branch).
"cultural"

Old 12-23-2008, 05:20 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,729,054 times
Medford, Oregon, of course.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,725,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I hate LA, but it is LA. SF has more refined culture, but LA is the second most important city in the US.
To the guy that claimed Boston College is better than Stanford- what is he smoking???
That was me. Whatever. I don't study each and every colleges stats. Boston College and Stanford are both amazing schools and next year I'll be going to BC.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 PM

3,682 posts, read 8,852,627 times
L.A. is not only the cultural hub of the West Coast, but the entire United States with NYC being the other hub. L.A. has Hollywood and most of the movies and TV shows that influence the American culture are there.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,598,957 times
LA is the biggest and overall most influential, but I voted for San Francisco because imo, the Bay Area defines the West Coast overall better than any other region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or