U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which was the best Gotham City?
New York City 62 44.60%
Chicago 62 44.60%
Both were equally good 14 10.07%
I'd like to see my city as the next Gotham City 6 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,713,475 times
Reputation: 1215

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Its a fact. Just was in NY about a week ago. I must have seen Gotham on about five store and bank fronts. Dont kid yourselfs Chicago never has and never was Gotham. FInally they shoot it there for cost reduction and now you want to claim Gotham Chicago's very own.Yet most everyone within reason knows that Gotham=NYC.

I dont care if you believe me or not. Believe what you want. I bet you Believe Chicago is for Superman, Spiderman, King Kong, and every other Superhero that hasn't been there.

Imagine that, A few shoots in Chicago and all of a sudden you all want to claim Gotham as Chicago's very own. What about all of those Batman movies before those two? Hmm, any takes? Was Chicago Gotham then too?

But to answer the original question I liked it best in NYC, more dense. Less gaps.
I never stated my opinion, so why do you assume that I voted for Chicago? And you make it sound like only stupid people would picture Gotham as Chicago, you seem to be making a huge deal over something as trivial as a movie setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:14 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
2,226 posts, read 4,141,320 times
Reputation: 1772
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Nope. Superman's city was always suppose to be NYC. Gotham meant to resemble Chicago. There is a reason why both of the new Batman films (especially Dark Knight) was filmed in Chicago.


^^^Yeah that reason was cost. It is much easier to close a section of Chicago down for those long scenes than NY. By the way Gotham is NYC. Gotham was never supposed to resemble Chicago. Where do you come up with this? Is this just what you hope for it to be. Where is your proof? Everyone knows that Gotham city is associated with NYC. Even when your in NYC you see gotham on many store signs, banks, etc. But anybody can say " There is a reason why both of the new Batman films (especially Dark Knight) was filmed in Chicago." But that means zilch to me. It is just your opinion, which I know to be wrong.
Well, I'd like you to open up your mind a bit and read this article at MSNBC.com, Dark Knight's kind of town: Gotham City - Movies- msnbc.com.

In it, Nolan says Chicago represents Gotham of the new millennium better. Gotham was originally based off New York, and New York was initially a better setting for it in the 60's when it was a live action show and cartoon.

But now, for 2008 and beyond, Chicago's architecture is amazingly different and beautiful, it has dark, gloomy, and steamy alleys. In the wintertime, much of the life in the city goes indoors and in dark corners. The city is corrupt, has a crime problem, and is looking for better leadership. The people are down to earth and feel connected. It's dense, cold, and grey much of the year. It's very industrial, plus, it has an outdoor train station. Chicago is the NEW Gotham City.

New York is no longer as corrupt, crime ridden, and gritty as it once was when it was meant to be Gotham. Chicago has taken it's place, and is still a hub for gang activity and criminals.

So, you see, there is a reason more than cost why Chicago was chosen to be Gotham City. Nolan managed to pull it off and FINALLY, Chicago was presented in a way where it will leave a fingerprint on the American film industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:20 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
2,226 posts, read 4,141,320 times
Reputation: 1772
Also keep in mind most Batman movies were never filmed in New York. They were either filmed in sound stages in Los Angeles or Longdon, UK.

It was only filmed in New York for Batman Forever in 1995, one of the worst Batman films, but I digress.

New York just no longer fits the Gotham City mold. It works for Spiderman, King Kong, Superman, etc. But Chicago is Batman's kind of town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:25 PM
 
3,689 posts, read 8,858,788 times
Reputation: 2143
Yeah, Tim Burton's Gotham City wasn't a real city but a painting. I really liked the artistic portrayal of Gotham in those movies, like with the supertall cathedral. I'm not sure where the street scenes were filmed, probably London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,867 posts, read 12,828,998 times
Reputation: 5799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Also keep in mind most Batman movies were never filmed in New York. They were either filmed in sound stages in Los Angeles or Longdon, UK.

It was only filmed in New York for Batman Forever in 1995, one of the worst Batman films, but I digress.

New York just no longer fits the Gotham City mold. It works for Spiderman, King Kong, Superman, etc. But Chicago is Batman's kind of town!
was Batman Returns filmed in New York City? i remember several scenes taking place in Central Park.

the best films are the ones directed by Tim Burton and Chris Nolan. who did the other films? they were truly awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
2,226 posts, read 4,141,320 times
Reputation: 1772
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
was Batman Returns filmed in New York City? i remember several scenes taking place in Central Park.

the best films are the ones directed by Tim Burton and Chris Nolan. who did the other films? they were truly awful.
Nope.

According to IMDB, Batman Returns was filmed completely on sound stages in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,853,027 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Well, I'd like you to open up your mind a bit and read this article at MSNBC.com, Dark Knight's kind of town: Gotham City - Movies- msnbc.com.

In it, Nolan says Chicago represents Gotham of the new millennium better. Gotham was originally based off New York, and New York was initially a better setting for it in the 60's when it was a live action show and cartoon.

But now, for 2008 and beyond, Chicago's architecture is amazingly different and beautiful, it has dark, gloomy, and steamy alleys. In the wintertime, much of the life in the city goes indoors and in dark corners. The city is corrupt, has a crime problem, and is looking for better leadership. The people are down to earth and feel connected. It's dense, cold, and grey much of the year. It's very industrial, plus, it has an outdoor train station. Chicago is the NEW Gotham City.

New York is no longer as corrupt, crime ridden, and gritty as it once was when it was meant to be Gotham. Chicago has taken it's place, and is still a hub for gang activity and criminals.

So, you see, there is a reason more than cost why Chicago was chosen to be Gotham City. Nolan managed to pull it off and FINALLY, Chicago was presented in a way where it will leave a fingerprint on the American film industry.
And that's the article I was talking about. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:30 PM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,462,950 times
Reputation: 1947
Stop the presses! I can't believe Futcha voted "both were equally good" and not for NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
7,731 posts, read 12,202,961 times
Reputation: 5948
New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 PM
 
784 posts, read 2,052,050 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Well, I'd like you to open up your mind a bit and read this article at MSNBC.com, Dark Knight's kind of town: Gotham City - Movies- msnbc.com.

In it, Nolan says Chicago represents Gotham of the new millennium better. Gotham was originally based off New York, and New York was initially a better setting for it in the 60's when it was a live action show and cartoon.

But now, for 2008 and beyond, Chicago's architecture is amazingly different and beautiful, it has dark, gloomy, and steamy alleys. In the wintertime, much of the life in the city goes indoors and in dark corners. The city is corrupt, has a crime problem, and is looking for better leadership. The people are down to earth and feel connected. It's dense, cold, and grey much of the year. It's very industrial, plus, it has an outdoor train station. Chicago is the NEW Gotham City.

New York is no longer as corrupt, crime ridden, and gritty as it once was when it was meant to be Gotham. Chicago has taken it's place, and is still a hub for gang activity and criminals.

So, you see, there is a reason more than cost why Chicago was chosen to be Gotham City. Nolan managed to pull it off and FINALLY, Chicago was presented in a way where it will leave a fingerprint on the American film industry.
Ok, honestly I have kept an open mind. However here is where I see it differently than you.

One, I'll give you per rate Chicago is more violent. However, NY has gangs, thugs lowlifes etc too. It's not exactly Disney world.

You mention architecture, this is where I think your argument is very week. NY epitomizes goth architecture. If anything Chicago goes for the more modern look, whereas NY is a mixture between goth and new.

You mentioned Chicago is presented in a certain way, NY even in its most lit up areas (times square) are very dark because of the density of buildings which hinder the light.

You mention steam, welcome to NY. Steam is coming out of everywhere especially manholes.

You mention NY was better in the 60's and 70's saying, "it was a live action show and cartoon". I say it still is, the only difference is we dont have as much crime as we used to.

However, you have to understand NY has a cop on every corner. When they do that to Chicago you will see that crime will significantly decrease there as well.

So if all of your argument falls down to crime when all of your other arguments are countered, then wouldn't Detroit be a better pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top