U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which was the best Gotham City?
New York City 62 44.60%
Chicago 62 44.60%
Both were equally good 14 10.07%
I'd like to see my city as the next Gotham City 6 4.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
59 posts, read 152,180 times
Reputation: 68

Advertisements

Metropolis was New York during the day while Gotham was New York at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2008, 08:33 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,835,010 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Ok, honestly I have kept an open mind. However here is where I see it differently than you.

One, I'll give you per rate Chicago is more violent. However, NY has gangs, thugs lowlifes etc too. It's not exactly Disney world.

You mention architecture, this is where I think your argument is very week. NY epitomizes goth architecture. If anything Chicago goes for the more modern look, whereas NY is a mixture between goth and new.

You mentioned Chicago is presented in a certain way, NY even in its most lit up areas (times square) are very dark because of the density of buildings which hinder the light.

You mention steam, welcome to NY. Steam is coming out of everywhere especially manholes.

You mention NY was better in the 60's and 70's saying, "it was a live action show and cartoon". I say it still is, the only difference is we dont have as much crime as we used to.

However, you have to understand NY has a cop on every corner. When they do that to Chicago you will see that crime will significantly decrease there as well.

So if all of your argument falls down to crime when all of your other arguments are countered, then wouldn't Detroit be a better pick?
I for one, think this has been over-analyzed now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 PM
 
784 posts, read 2,050,352 times
Reputation: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I for one, think this has been over-analyzed now.
Lets close the thread, Angel says its all been over analyzed now. I guess you dont like hearing a different opinion. You might want to go to another site then.

Secondly, werent you the one cheerleading for your boy and his page full of opinions on why Chicago makes for a better Gotham?

I guess it's only comfortable to hear similar opinions of yourself, when others disagree, it gets a little difficult to handle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,990 posts, read 6,974,537 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarvin View Post
Metropolis was New York during the day while Gotham was New York at night.
AMEN!!! Hell, even the comics editor Dennis O'Neil said: "Batman's Gotham City, is Manhattan below 14th Street at eleven minuets past midnight, on the coldest night in November"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 PM
 
2,541 posts, read 10,385,258 times
Reputation: 968
Metropolis is supposed to be midtown NYC, and Gotham supposed to be downtown NYC

I used to think Chicago was metropolis because Superman is a midwest farm kryptonian

and the Wayne's are old-money, so that equates to Greenwich Conn which is a suburb of NYC

but Chicago looks good as gotham also

Any city could as long as it has tall buildings

even hong kong could make a good gotham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 PM
 
3,596 posts, read 7,706,431 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Its a fact. Just was in NY about a week ago. I must have seen Gotham on about five store and bank fronts. Dont kid yourselfs Chicago never has and never was Gotham. FInally they shoot it there for cost reduction and now you want to claim Gotham Chicago's very own.Yet most everyone within reason knows that Gotham=NYC.

I dont care if you believe me or not. Believe what you want. I bet you Believe Chicago is for Superman, Spiderman, King Kong, and every other Superhero that hasn't been there.

Imagine that, A few shoots in Chicago and all of a sudden you all want to claim Gotham as Chicago's very own. What about all of those Batman movies before those two? Hmm, any takes? Was Chicago Gotham then too?

But to answer the original question I liked it best in NYC, more dense. Less gaps.
I can't believe you actually typed "hmm". As a question. I mean, insofar as being a pretentious ******* is concerned, you've just upgraded yourself to reviled prick.

New York may have been some sort of alter-Gotham. But frankly, it ain't got the goods. Chicago, with its samples of heavy and repressive Gothic architecture, has been the setting for Batman three times now.

So if it looks like Chicago, and it smells like Chicago... New York can't hold the water.

Also, Chicago has capital corruption down like no other city on earth save Bangkok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
2,223 posts, read 4,135,517 times
Reputation: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Ok, honestly I have kept an open mind. However here is where I see it differently than you.

One, I'll give you per rate Chicago is more violent. However, NY has gangs, thugs lowlifes etc too. It's not exactly Disney world.

You mention architecture, this is where I think your argument is very week. NY epitomizes goth architecture. If anything Chicago goes for the more modern look, whereas NY is a mixture between goth and new.

You mentioned Chicago is presented in a certain way, NY even in its most lit up areas (times square) are very dark because of the density of buildings which hinder the light.

You mention steam, welcome to NY. Steam is coming out of everywhere especially manholes.

You mention NY was better in the 60's and 70's saying, "it was a live action show and cartoon". I say it still is, the only difference is we dont have as much crime as we used to.

However, you have to understand NY has a cop on every corner. When they do that to Chicago you will see that crime will significantly decrease there as well.

So if all of your argument falls down to crime when all of your other arguments are countered, then wouldn't Detroit be a better pick?
You didn't really respond to all of my post. It was mostly political corruption and the feel of the citizens of Chicago as well that makes it more Gotham than NYC.

I strongly disagree with you on the goth architecture. I think New York is much more modern and new looking, where Chicago has much more goth architecture. It's not really a question of quality, but Chicago has a lot of architecture that feels like it came straight from the Rust Belt, a city that Gotham seems to greatly resemble.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:26 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,072,419 times
Reputation: 2275
How intense would this get if it was really something important??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,705,658 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
How intense would this get if it was really something important??
Would've be interesting wouldn't have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
59 posts, read 152,180 times
Reputation: 68
I honestly didn't get a "Gotham" feel from the city in the Dark Knight. Sure it had Batman and the Joker but it didn't feel like Gotham. When I'm reading Batman: Year One I have a hard time trying to imagine Bruce Wayne in any place but New York after dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top