U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM

8,367 posts, read 14,405,498 times

Advertisements

The only time I ever hear about St Louis style pizza is when some stooge from STL tells me about it and how important it is. Wrong; Imo's sucks and no one cares about "STL pizza."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:09 PM

2,958 posts, read 5,752,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is all fairly subjective.

I lived in BOTH New York City and San Francisco...but I grew up in Michigan...so I really have no reason to select SF or NYC one over the other.

BUT....NYC was pretty impressive for pizza....both cities have 'Little Italy' sections...so I think its fair to say Italian influence in SF....not that I recall 'Little Italy' being THE place for pizza, but just saying in general.

Anyways, the pizza in NYC blew me away...the city is LARGE...and there are all kinds of local pizza shops all over the city...and I recall a large number of them were actually Italians speaking Italian in the pizza restaurant! Now I'm not saying you need to have Italians making you your pizza...but it certainly adds some pizazz and legitimacy to it!

SF had good pizza...but, well, NYC just had incredible memorable pizza. I am actually sitting here re-tasting and re-living my pizza experiences in NYC, and it was GOOD...I can't really recall SF pizza places and recalling the tastes and smells...although I do admit I also had some very good pizza in SF as well.

Anyways, NYC wins.
I agree, all of this is COMPLETELY subjective. Its all about personal preference. I wasn't trying to argue about which city produces more good pizza between SF & NYC; I'd really have to try a lot more in NY to make that comparison, but I'm sure NYC would obviously win that one based on how many people stroke it to pizza over there. I mean its the birthplace of this strange pizza elitism that seems to be taking place.

I was just pointing out that there was better pizza here than that poster had tried and that NY is FAAAAR over-hyped. If folks didn't hype it up as much as they did, generally speaking, it would be easier to appreciate what it has to offer. I wasn't impressed when I was there b/c people exaggerate and those exaggerations don't hold true. And one example of such an exaggeration was that "pizza anywhere in NYC (or the East Coast) blows away anything anywhere else." That's the kind of nonsense I've always heard, so when I tried pizza at a random spot like I was told I could, it was mediocre at best and I was anything but blown away.

But I'm not an idiot, and I know better than to judge an entire city or region by sampling one pizza there (unlike some people ). And I am looking forward to trying the actual quality stuff they got out there. I just wish people would tell it the way it is instead of blowing it out of proportion.

I'm actually used to hearing Italians speaking Italian in North Beach over here, and didn't see it in Little Italy. What I did see there that I hadn't seen as much of over here were the dark-haired, Sicilian-looking goomba types working there, which was kinda cool. Over here there aren't as many of those.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:21 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,895,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
The only time I ever hear about St Louis style pizza is when some stooge from STL tells me about it and how important it is. Wrong; Imo's sucks and no one cares about "STL pizza."
I like IMOs actually. The sauce is provel, so it is different. The thin crust is good, too, but I'm not a big pizza critic.

Really, I like a lot of different kinds of pizza.

But please, don't mock a St. Louis tradition. I know DC pizza is probably "Da bomb" but St. Louis pizza is pretty good. Everybody has different tastes of course, but if you don't like it then just say so. Because apparently enough people like St. Louis style pizza. St. Louis has it's own pizza, it's own beer, it's own style of ribs, and we're big on BBQ sauce.

Tradition is very important in this area. And your dismissive attitude of "nobody cares" is a little annoying.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:22 PM

8,367 posts, read 14,405,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I like IMOs actually. The sauce is provel, so it is different. The thin crust is good, too, but I'm not a big pizza critic.

Really, I like a lot of different kinds of pizza.

But please, don't mock a St. Louis tradition. I know DC pizza is probably "Da bomb" but St. Louis pizza is pretty good. Everybody has different tastes of course, but if you don't like it then just say so. Because apparently enough people like St. Louis style pizza. St. Louis has it's own pizza, it's own beer, it's own style of ribs, and we're big on BBQ sauce.

Tradition is very important in this area. And your dismissive attitude of "nobody cares" is a little annoying.
I have never been to DC; and provel is a cheese, not a crust.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:31 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,895,747 times
I know provel is a cheese. It's a mix of Swiss, Provolone, and Cheddar. Maybe I should've said cheese instead of sauce. The sauce I believe is tomato.

Here's a pic in case anyone is curious:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Imos_Pizza_in_the_box_1.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or