U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:53 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,313,338 times

Advertisements

California style pizza is quite good w/ more creativity of toppings than one normally finds elsewhere in the U.S. Generally more vegetables & thinner crust but also different cheeses & tasty toppings like chicken or lamb & fruit are served in pizza parlors in Los Angeles & elsewhere in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 08:18 PM

196 posts, read 568,447 times
IMO, "California Style Pizza" is an insult to the word Pizza.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 PM

60 posts, read 153,392 times
Yeah, I went to CA and the Pizza there was pretty gross

Mexican food was off the chain, though!

Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
Hartford and New Haven also have excellent pizza, especially New Haven which is noted for Pepe's and Sally's.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:17 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,754,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Is this a joke? Wilmington Delaware has more Italians than Kansas City. I doubt KC is even in the top 50.

Anyway, I'd go with the cities that actually have the most Italians: Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Boston. I wouldn't include Miami because they're probably all old and retired.
Joke? No. I couldn't care less if it's in the top 50 or not... Fact is, KC does have a lot of Italians. Anyone who thinks otherwise has obviously never spent much time there, and knows nothing about the town.
There once was a very large section of the city that was primarily Italian... complete with the mob. Most of them have moved to the suburbs.
There's a slew of great Italian restaurants around the area.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:06 AM

16,738 posts, read 23,181,095 times
New Haven, definitely.

Better than NY, IMO.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,694,755 times
Gotham Pizza in Houston is REALLY good!, but it is NY style pizza

http://gothampizza.com/

Old 12-22-2008, 01:28 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,568,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Joke? No. I couldn't care less if it's in the top 50 or not... Fact is, KC does have a lot of Italians. Anyone who thinks otherwise has obviously never spent much time there, and knows nothing about the town.
There once was a very large section of the city that was primarily Italian... complete with the mob. Most of them have moved to the suburbs.
There's a slew of great Italian restaurants around the area.
Actually what I said is a fact. Unless you want to redefine the word "small" to mean "large."

You don't care that KC is not even in the top 50 cities in the U.S. for Italian population and yet you continue to say that the city has a large Italian population? (Especially considering that KC is not small, with about 2 million in the metro.) Most of them have moved to the suburbs?...well, the statistics that I'm using are of the whole metropolitan area, and guess what...the metropolitan region has a very small Italian population.

Here are the areas with large Italian populations: (1) New York City ; (2) Philadelphia; (3) Chicago; (4) Boston; (5) Pittsburgh; (6) Miami; (7) Los Angeles. Let's see now...(49) Lawrence, MA; (50) Wilmington, DE ....still no Kansas City...well I'm glad a local corrected the U.S. Census Bureau's statistics for me.

The statistics are plain enough to anyone who looks at them (so go to the National Italian American Foundation website)...so no, I don't actually have to go to KC to know that the city doesn't have a lot of Italians. Period.

Last edited by ainulinale; 12-22-2008 at 01:39 AM..

Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,219,119 times
NEW HAVEN!!!! (Sally's & Pepe's, Modern, Bar, Naples, etc... you just can't have bad pizza there)

http://newhaven.uncover.com/images/venues/18273.jpg (broken link)

lol

Last edited by john_starks; 12-22-2008 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,754,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Actually what I said is a fact. Unless you want to redefine the word "small" to mean "large."

You don't care that KC is not even in the top 50 cities in the U.S. for Italian population and yet you continue to say that the city has a large Italian population? (Especially considering that KC is not small, with about 2 million in the metro.) Most of them have moved to the suburbs?...well, the statistics that I'm using are of the whole metropolitan area, and guess what...the metropolitan region has a very small Italian population.

Here are the areas with large Italian populations: (1) New York City ; (2) Philadelphia; (3) Chicago; (4) Boston; (5) Pittsburgh; (6) Miami; (7) Los Angeles. Let's see now...(49) Lawrence, MA; (50) Wilmington, DE ....still no Kansas City...well I'm glad a local corrected the U.S. Census Bureau's statistics for me.

The statistics are plain enough to anyone who looks at them (so go to the National Italian American Foundation website)...so no, I don't actually have to go to KC to know that the city doesn't have a lot of Italians. Period.
I still don't care one way or the other how many Italians live there.That doesn't stop the ones that live in KC from having a whole lot of Italian influence in the area, even though their numbers may not be as great as they once were.

I never, ever said that KC was in the top 50, or anything else for that matter. Just that there are a good number of them there, and there's lots of good food because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or