U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,429,788 times

Advertisements

Any city in California I can throw a rock and find a good pizza place. The problem comes down to what each person considers good. I like the pizza styles in my region, I'm even happier that all the other pizza styles are also represented here, I do not like the arrogance that some people have claiming that their region's pizza is better when in fact the market has determined it to be inferior. Taste is a subjective opinion but market realities are not. That's why I reject the arrogant claims that a certain style is the best when in fact it is a distant also ran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 10:31 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,749,685 times
Taste comes into play but also what goes in the pie counts. There are some places that take a frozen crust and basically re heat it in an oven. There are other places that buy cheap ingredients. I would call places like that inferior.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 AM

If your counting "quality", I.E. freshness and over all cost, of the ingredients then California wins hands down due to most of the ingredients all being locally grown and often more exotic/expensive ingredients being used. Or do you think there are vast tomato plantations in upstate New York or even any where in the Northeast?

Face it at best they used ingredients trucked in over vast distances and more likely used canned or processed stuff. Now that is what I call inferior.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:55 AM

Actually there are plenty of locally grown tomatoes in NY. Take a look at my back yard. You have obviously never worked in a pizza place in NY if you are making those assumptions. Many of the toppings from from local Italian delis that prepare their own meat.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 AM

Preparing your own meat is a plus even a major plus. It is market inefficient though so it might be better to simply have skilled local producers in the meat packing industry. I'm sure in a green house or other such settings you can grow tomatoes in the northeast though clearly since California has a 90% share of the national tomato market most places are serving California tomatoes which are best eaten fresh and local. Same goes for Cheese. Yes, some states like Wisconsin do have good cheese industries but once again California leads the country with the largest market share and fresh locally made cheese is a huge plus, and improves the quality of local pies. What about the other herbs which go into pizza sauce? Basil and what not were probably grown in California too so once again local pizza makers have a freshness advantage. About the only ingredient we don't lead the nation in is wheat but a good argument can be made that that is the least freshness orientated given how long wheat can be stored.

I have enjoyed pizzas I've had in New York, I sometimes even like the style (though often I prefer others), but we're talking the best pie here and freshest ingredients = best. That's why I say California has the best pie.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 AM

NY makes most of those things locally. Once again, it shows that you have not worked in a pizza place in NY. And if you are talking good cheese, there are places around here that have had it shipped in from Italy. That beats anything made in the US, fresh or not. You are making many assumptions that are incorrect.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 AM

8,778 posts, read 17,076,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Any city in California I can throw a rock and find a good pizza place. The problem comes down to what each person considers good. I like the pizza styles in my region, I'm even happier that all the other pizza styles are also represented here, I do not like the arrogance that some people have claiming that their region's pizza is better when in fact the market has determined it to be inferior. Taste is a subjective opinion but market realities are not. That's why I reject the arrogant claims that a certain style is the best when in fact it is a distant also ran.
Market reality says that places like Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Pappa John's, etc., are superior. In places like Connecticut and NY, they come and then quickly go. The market here doesn't support low quality cheap cr*p. Arrogance doesn't determine these chains failures in this area of the country, consumer preference for a product that provides true value, does.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:19 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,160,555 times
Default Ct. is still the Tri State Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Hartford and New Haven also have excellent pizza, especially New Haven which is noted for Pepe's and Sally's.
Sorry.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 PM

88,653 posts, read 105,034,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
Gothenburg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
When I was in Goteborg I don't recall ever seeing a pizza joint. But that was back in the mid 1970's. I can recall that the hot dogs in Sweden are dramatically different than hot dogs in the USA.
Maybe Gothenburg, Nebraska

Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM

88,653 posts, read 105,034,740 times
Champaign, Illinois is loaded with pizza parlors, many local ones when I lived there. I liked Garcia's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or