U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,718,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Market reality says that places like Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Pappa John's, etc., are superior. In places like Connecticut and NY, they come and then quickly go. The market here doesn't support low quality cheap cr*p. Arrogance doesn't determine these chains failures in this area of the country, consumer preference for a product that provides true value, does.
Still the best pizza is in the northeast. Especially in NYC. I like going to local pizza sops. They are delecious. There are about 10 of them around where i live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:56 AM

2,958 posts, read 5,751,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Don't tell me San Francisco. North Beach Pizza in San Francisco had a sign from Yahoo.com saying "Congratulations, North Beach Pizza for servin' up the best pizza in San Francisco!" The pizza was absolutely disgusting and I told the waiter it was disgusting pizza and I got no apology.
Well for starters, if I was that waiter and you came at me like a five year old that hadn't been taught their manners yet, telling me, "this pizza is disgusting," I wouldn't apologize either. You're lucky he didn't tell you to get the hell out if you hate it so much. Who is NY would have apologized if you came at them like that?

As for good pizza in SF, there's plenty if you aren't close-minded and ranking it on how closely it emulates NY pizza, which you most likely are. Places like Pizza Orgasmica & Toto's Pizza use a cornmeal crust which is delicious. Goat Hill Pizza uses a sourdough crust which I also like. Zorba's Pizza has a Greek-style combination pizza that is my personal favorite. But if you're looking for NY style, you should stay in New York.

I'm not sure what kind you tried there, North Beach Pizza doesn't even rank among my favorites. Pizza snobs that want whatever is Neapolitan and falls under NY criteria seem to like Arinell's Pizza in SF and Amici's East Coast Pizzeria. I personally think they're okay at best, and would choose Round Table before either of them.

The only pizza I've actually tried in NY was absolutely unimpressive. I had it a few years ago at a random spot in Little Italy, and I thought Sbarro at any mall USA is better. That's why I'm curious to try what is thought to be the best in NY (Lombardi's? Ray's maybe?) b/c what I tried did not even approach living up to all the hype. I always hear that any pizza on the East Coast is better than anything in California, blah, blah, blah...and my only experience sure proved that to not be true. I hope it gets better than what I had that time.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
New Haven, definitely.

Better than NY, IMO.
Yeah New Haven sounds good from what I hear. I'm definitely gonna have to check it out one day.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
If it ain't a slice if it ain't a three finger fold, it ain't pizza.
Really? Because I think that if it IS a three finger fold and you have crust encapsulating the toppings, essentially making them filling, it ain't pizza. To me that's a calzone, and if you want a calzone you should order one. If you wanted an open-faced slice of pizza w/ crust on the bottom & cheese + toppings on top, why would you make it so thin that you had to fold it? I think if you want to define what is and what isn't pizza you should either refer to the creators of it in Greece and Italy, or just accept the fact that your way may not be the authority.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
Phoenix has Pizzera Bianco. I was kind of disappointed with New Yorks pizza when i visited there, we went to a couple different spots and none of them were fantastic, just ok. But man when i live in chicago....couldn't get enough of that deep dish.
That was how my experience went. I don't know why people hype stuff up beyond what it can live up to. If the best pizza DOES exist in New York, it doesn't exist everywhere there. Or at least that style isn't everyone's top choice.

I have yet to try pizza in Chicago, but I have always loved that style. Pizzeria Uno is one of my favorite chains.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,421,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Market reality says that places like Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Pappa John's, etc., are superior. In places like Connecticut and NY, they come and then quickly go. The market here doesn't support low quality cheap cr*p. Arrogance doesn't determine these chains failures in this area of the country, consumer preference for a product that provides true value, does.
The fact remains that outside of NYC most people don't prefer New York style pizza because most people think New York style pizza is a crappy pizza. If you grew up with it and expect no better then great but realize that most people don't prefer that style so let's not hear the nonsense about crappy subpar NY style pie being desirable for most people. Most people don't like it and find it inferior. I really hate the arrogance of New Yorkers claiming their subpar pie is better when virtually everyone has spoken and said that it is inferior. If you don't like it then just live with that reality.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Don't tell me San Francisco. North Beach Pizza in San Francisco had a sign from Yahoo.com saying "Congratulations, North Beach Pizza for servin' up the best pizza in San Francisco!" The pizza was absolutely disgusting and I told the waiter it was disgusting pizza and I got no apology.
It could have been that the waiter thought you were an arrogant and uneducated prick and so ignored you. I know I probably would have.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:40 AM

Honestly my idea of a great world class pizza is Filippi's pizza. I know half the people here just crapped their pants in amazement but the truth is I like the slightly chewy but not overly chewy crust, the fact that they use copious amounts of real mozzarella di bufala, that they make their own sauces using only fresh locally grown ingredients, and the fact that in their doe they only use 100% real semolina wheat. The meats aren't made in house but are all made locally in SoCal normally with locally grown meat. This is a very high quality pie. Lots of people consider this heresy which only under scores the subjective nature of food tasting which I spoke about before with all opinions being worth as much and as little as all others.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,741,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
The fact remains that outside of NYC most people don't prefer New York style pizza because most people think New York style pizza is a crappy pizza. If you grew up with it and expect no better then great but realize that most people don't prefer that style so let's not hear the nonsense about crappy subpar NY style pie being desirable for most people. Most people don't like it and find it inferior. I really hate the arrogance of New Yorkers claiming their subpar pie is better when virtually everyone has spoken and said that it is inferior. If you don't like it then just live with that reality.

really? Most people? Did you take a poll or something?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 AM

5,767 posts, read 9,268,306 times
Growing up in Connecticut I basically ate nothing but Greek Style Pizza. I had my first real NY Style Pizza when I was 22 years old at a place in White Plains. Loved it. To this day I prefer NY Style to any other style other than New Haven Style Neapolitan i.e. Pepe's. I still like Greek Style in New England very much but it takes a back seat to NY Style and New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or