Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,470,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
California style pizza is quite good w/ more creativity of toppings than one normally finds elsewhere in the U.S. Generally more vegetables & thinner crust but also different cheeses & tasty toppings like chicken or lamb & fruit are served in pizza parlors in Los Angeles & elsewhere in California.
Variety is fine... As long as it goes together. California style pizza is horrible and it doesn't go together.

Typical California style pizza toppings:
-bean sprouts
-peanut sauce
-sour cream
-guacomole
-artichokes
-scrambled eggs (if it's a "breakfast pizza")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:19 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,470,843 times
I don't think Italian influence even matters anymore. These days everybody is a mutt and you can never tell who's Irish, Italian, Swiss, German, Russian, French, Norwegian, Greek, or Polish. My friend looks Italian, but he's also Irish, Scottish, Welsh, German, and Swedish.

As more generations continue to come, heritage will become more and more meaningless.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 AM

756 posts, read 1,875,066 times
I'm a fan of NYC pizza all the way!!!! Most of the great pizza places are in NYC and the surrounding areas. Most of the other great pizzas I have had around the nation were from Italian restaurants, not necessarily pizza parlors.
Personally, I find Chicago style pizza disgusting.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,169,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Variety is fine... As long as it goes together. California style pizza is horrible and it doesn't go together.

-bean sprouts
-peanut sauce
-sour cream
-guacomole
-artichokes
The "California" style pizza I have eaten had none of this stuff on it. Though the Mariachi pizza with sour cream on it is amazing. If that is Cali style, I had no idea. I don't care what some snooty New Yorker says, I love my Mariachi pizza!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,463,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
The "California" style pizza I have eaten had none of this stuff on it. Though the Mariachi pizza with sour cream on it is amazing. If that is Cali style, I had no idea. I don't care what some snooty New Yorker says, I love my Mariachi pizza!

i laughed

Old 12-22-2008, 10:07 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,547,945 times
Al Forno's (emeril lagasse's favorite pizza and restaurant) and Casserta's in Federal Hill, Providence. World known proper italian mobster pizza at its best!

Also Rhode Island is home to the Pizza Strips and Wimpy Skimpy's

Boston and New Haven have plenty of good places as well.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:22 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,387,277 times
philly is the only other one I know of...

the problem with listing the other big cities, is sure... you can probably find a couple places where they might make a big pizza...

in nyc, chicago...and to a lesser extent, philly... pretty much EVERYWHERE u go is going to have an AWESOME pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Personally, I find Chicago style pizza disgusting.
I'm curious which restaurant you are referring to...there are several styles of Chicago pizza... you have basically, the deep dish, the stuffed, and the thin crust, they are ALL regionally specific and different from others. Also have you eaten it IN chicago... its different if you eat "chicago style" outside the city, not the same at all...they don't get the same sauce/mozarella/meat suppliers... it is very important.

I have eaten at a "new haven" style pizza place and it was quite good, so if its the same all through New Haven, then it is probably good.
I actually had the best tortellini I ever had in a restaurant around Yale Campus.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:34 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Pretty much any decent sized city in NY State considering we have more people of Italian decent than any other state. Heck, where I live is named after a city in Sicily and Pizza here is a dime a dozen. If you come here, check out Pavone's, Luigi's, Pizzaz, Acropolis, Twin Trees and Original Italian Pizza, among many others.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-22-2008 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,447,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post

-bean sprouts
-peanut sauce
-sour cream
-guacomole
-artichokes
Okay where the hell have you seen any of these toppings? I've lived in CA my entire life and I've NEVER seen any of the above toppings on a pizza, w/ the exception of artichoke hearts. These toppings are anything but "typical" in any pizzeria I have ever been to. The artichoke hearts I've seen on Greek-style pizzas out here. Scrambled eggs I have seen on frozen Red Baron breakfast pizzas (like you mentioned), which should be considered a separate category really IMO. Are you maybe thinking of the chain CPK (CA Pizza Kitchen)? I don't really eat there, but they definitely have some funky toppings. I don't personally count that as pizza though; to me its more of a pizza-like substance.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:56 PM

7,060 posts, read 12,567,130 times
Gosh, how to answer your question?

Personal pizza preferences vary from taste bud to taste bud. Some swear by the Chicago Deep Dish style, others drool over the thin crust. Some like heavy cheese and others want just a sprinkling.

Some want lots of meat and others want vegetarian. Some ache for anchovies and others sneer in disgust.

How in this pizza-loving world can one recommend a personal pizza to anyone else who hasn't walked a mile in that particular person's pizza preference shoes??

Now here on the NC coast, you might not appreciate my new personal favorite--a pesto pizza with fresh shrimp on a medium thick crust--but I find it just dandy. Untraditional but oh so tasty

We've also got a place nearby that makes what I think of as a Sicilian kind of pizza--it's quite oily, with a thinner crust and highly spiced, lots of oregano--sometimes I want that kind of pie--it's more NY to me...

Maybe it depends on what kind of pizza you were raised on, as to your personal favorite?

Now me, I was raised in Phila. area and pizza wasn't my family's junk food growing up--no, I was more cheese steak/hoagie kind of gal...so my pizza favorites are wide-open...just don't give me a whole lot of rubbery, cheap cheese...

Vive la pizza--but not too much, don't forget, it's fattening and high cholesterol...

Your scribe,

LittleDolphin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.