U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 AM

42 posts, read 80,077 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I hope you guys can help me out in possibly finding a place to live that I'd be happy in. :-)

I currently live in NYC (BX) and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of the area, the dirtyness, the cold, the people, the transportation, everything. I travel a lot through the different boroughs for work and school right now and I can't take it anymore. I need a change badly.

I ideally would love to move to somewhere that is warmer, cleaner and not as expensive as NY but also where I can survive without a car because I don't drive and don't plan to anytime soon. I would like to stay in the east so I'm not too far from the family and friends in NY and can come back and visit. I was thinking about Florida since I have family and friends living there but can I survive without a car in Florida?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM

Anyone?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
W/o a car in Florida? Possible I suppose, but seeing how often it rains and just how hot and humid it is for most of the year, I wouldnt even consider it.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM

784 posts, read 2,050,352 times
I Dont know about Florida for your situation. I know you would definately need a car in Jacksonville. My cousin lives there and you commute about forty five minutes everywhere. If you are looking for somewhere where you would not have to drive, I would probably consider Miami. I would think there would be some public transportation in Miami, I am not sure what other city in Florida would be good. I know Orlando and Jacksonville you need a car. Daytona Beach you might be able to survive without a car. Many of the main businesses are on a main drag. I dont think Tampa Bay would be sufficient for without a car but I would look into it. I would look into Miami, Tampa Bay, or Daytona beach. Definately would not waist your time with Jacksonville or Orlando.

You might want to look into somewhere like Charlotte or Atlanta since you dont have a car. Charlotte being a little more compact for mobility. Have you thought at all about San Francisco? You would not need a car there either. Very compact city. A mini NY, however, the cost of living is high. Florida is definately much cheaper. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
I Dont know about Florida for your situation. I know you would definately need a car in Jacksonville. My cousin lives there and you commute about forty five minutes everywhere. If you are looking for somewhere where you would not have to drive, I would probably consider Miami. I would think there would be some public transportation in Miami, I am not sure what other city in Florida would be good. I know Orlando and Jacksonville you need a car. Daytona Beach you might be able to survive without a car. Many of the main businesses are on a main drag. I dont think Tampa Bay would be sufficient for without a car but I would look into it. I would look into Miami, Tampa Bay, or Daytona beach. Definately would not waist your time with Jacksonville or Orlando.

You might want to look into somewhere like Charlotte or Atlanta since you dont have a car. Charlotte being a little more compact for mobility. Have you thought at all about San Francisco? You would not need a car there either. Very compact city. A mini NY, however, the cost of living is high. Florida is definately much cheaper. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks, I'll check out Charlotte. I want to stay on the east side of the US. San Fran is to far from NY.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:22 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
u can "survive" anywhere w/o a car... wouldn't recommend anywhere in florida w/o a car though.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:31 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Try the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia too. That would comprise of cities like Hampton, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Newport News, Virginia Beach and other cities like Suffolk, Portsmouth, Williamsburg and so on. Nice area that is going a bit and pretty much in the middle of the Atlantic Coast.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Try the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia too. That would comprise of cities like Hampton, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Newport News, Virginia Beach and other cities like Suffolk, Portsmouth, Williamsburg and so on. Nice area that is going a bit and pretty much in the middle of the Atlantic Coast.
Hmmm, Virginia, never thought about that state. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:58 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelani.laraya View Post
Hmmm, Virginia, never thought about that state. Thanks.
Yeah, many people don't. My brother lives in Chesapeake and he is always trying to get me to move there. It's the 27th biggest metro in the US too.

Tidewater / Hampton Roads - Virginia Is For Lovers

Visit Hampton Roads Virginia

HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Hampton Roads, Virginia, news, sports, weather, real estate, jobs and cars from the Daily Press -- dailypress.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or