Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 PM

101 posts, read 448,580 times

Advertisements

Ever wonder about some of those state capitols sometimes? I understand a lot of times the state capitol was chosen because of a central location, thus the state capitol is in the middle of the state. Sometimes it works(Denver, Indianapolis, Columbus, Phoenix), sometimes it doesn't work and you just wonder why:

Pierre, SD
Frankfort, Kentucky
Augusta, Maine
Montpelier, Vermont-they don't even have a McDonald's...
Jefferson City, Missouri

I don't know, it's just when the capitol is a small or mid-sized town it just seems odd to me. I can understand some cases like Cheyenne, Santa Fe, Helena, Juneau, but others I still wonder why...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 02:34 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times
It might be complicated by a bunch of reasons.

Think you are right about putting in the middle. In the old days when travel was more difficult, putting it in the middle gave everybody in the state sort of equal access. Was a good idea if you just had to pick a location.

I don't think in a modern sense it is so much about location but how is the state balanced out in terms of political, economic, people distribution type issues.

One example might be Massachusetts. All the power is located at the far eastern tip of the state in Boston. The rest of the state feels screwed and a bit taken for granted. You get into a situation where one city is the state by default on every major issue.

Then something like Florida. Does that work putting the capital way up north. You can argue Yes, it is one way of balancing out influence from the economic power / population in the south.

A lot of states might not work that well if you made the major city the capital. NY, CA, PA, TX, IL come to mind. It would concentrate too much power in one area. Plus nobody would ever get a parking spot within miles of the place.

You probably do want the state capital to be a bit of a backwater for a bunch of reasons. Just let it tend to government, don't make it too easy for Big Business just to walk across the street to do their pay off's. Plus how are the Pols going to hide when doing all their dirty deals if too many people can see them??

Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
one good example; richmond, va. most dangerous city in virginia might not even be in top 5 in population in VA. wouldn't be the captial if not for location in middle of state.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:51 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,478 times
Carson City, Nevada is smallish, but almost on the California border (and only about 100 miles from Sacramento -- California's capitol).

Old 03-03-2007, 10:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Cheyenne is the largest city in Wyoming: 53.000 people.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,095 times
Shouldn't Oil City be the capitol of Pa?

Old 03-03-2007, 10:51 PM

101 posts, read 448,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Cheyenne is the largest city in Wyoming: 53.000 people.
Is it these days? I knew it use to be Casper, but I knew the two towns have flipped-flopped in the past.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:00 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser_user View Post
Ever wonder about some of those state capitols sometimes? I understand a lot of times the state capitol was chosen because of a central location, thus the state capitol is in the middle of the state.
I don't know why it is that I never realized this before, but just now going through the mental list of the capitals and a map in my head, I'm just now realizing just how many states' capitols are in fact in the geographic middle of the state.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:28 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I've always thought Sacramento was a strange choice... sure, it's a good-sized city with some stuff to offer, but hardly the shining glory of California. Population isn't that big, weather sucks (in the summer, at least), good amount of poverty & crime, boring scenery, and a pathetic skyline... not to mention, they don't even have a football or baseball team. I think we should nominate San Francisco instead!!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:06 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser_user View Post
Ever wonder about some of those state capitols sometimes? I understand a lot of times the state capitol was chosen because of a central location, thus the state capitol is in the middle of the state. Sometimes it works(Denver, Indianapolis, Columbus, Phoenix), sometimes it doesn't work and you just wonder why:

Pierre, SD
Frankfort, Kentucky
Augusta, Maine
Montpelier, Vermont-they don't even have a McDonald's...
Jefferson City, Missouri

I don't know, it's just when the capitol is a small or mid-sized town it just seems odd to me. I can understand some cases like Cheyenne, Santa Fe, Helena, Juneau, but others I still wonder why...
Montpelier not having a McDonald's shows good judgement in my opinion. Maybe people there aren't interested in clogging the arteries of their citizens and adding to the obesity epidemic. . . . Would you like some lipitor with those fries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.